Motherboard for P3 Xeons

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
I have gotten my hands on two P3 800Mhz Xeon's. Now I have never built a dually system before so could i get some suggestions on parts for this system? I want to do this as cheaply as possible, so I will most likely be eBaying for most of the components. I'm going to set it up as a web/file server at home.

Xeons will require a Slot 2 board so, if that helps, should be able to narrow down your search on ebay for a lot quicker. I really recommend the intel slot 2 boards from that time period. Rock stable and very, very reliable. Also, make sure the board will have, or that you will pick up, some VRM's for it.

Your 800Mhz, 133Fsb'd Xeon's are nothing put normal Coppermine Pentium III's in a slot2 form factor. Same cache as a normal pIII, some extra memory addressing but most people won't ever use that. Info here

It's probably going to be cheaper to pick up a dual pIII setup then getting a board + Reg'd ECC SDRAM for those chips. They won't work in the normal GX and NX Xeon boards, you need something with a 133Fsb.

Arstechnica and the 2cpu forums often have dual setups going cheap. Throw those Xeon's in the garbage or ebay off to someone else.

Hey telling someone to thow those processors in the garbage is like telling someone to just tear up a few dollar bills, the processors are expensive and could be worth about 20 dollars or more. And the 133fsb slot 2 motherboards have the vrms built into the board.

I have just recently looked on slot 2 xeon motherboards on ebay, they have a motherboard with Slot 2 xeon 1ghz processors for $119.00

Need memory I have 1 stick of 128mb pc133 ecc memory I have for sale
If that is not enough search ebay under the computer and networking area and under memory for pc133 ecc.

Still they cost some money, and besides posting one link to ebay showing a 800mhz doesn't help, so now one is bidding on it. Sooner or later someone will buy those processors.

As a person who has little cash on him, $14.00 is alot to some people.

Heck I have a pair of 700mhz slot 2 xeons laying around, am I going to ebay them or throw them away, heck no. Because I have a case ready for them, I just need to get a new Quad slot2 mb board, Which I will save up to get.

There is nothing like learning off of old technology and or building smp boxes for the enjoyment of doing so. You can game off a slot2 700mhz-1ghz xeon, using games like Guildwars or something else. They crunch workunits under the Program F@H great, and they are stable.

I say to the first poster, go out and look around for a 133fsb slot 2 mb and build it up from there.

Thanks for the responses, a friend had these two processors sitting around and said I could have them if I wanted them so I figured I may as well take them. I'll look around for a board and build a box as I find parts.

I just cooked a mobo that ran Dual PIII@800 Coppermines, the PIIIs are fine, looking for another mobo to stuff em in, as Linux loves the dual cpu setup... Can we all say DOOM...he he he..

Back