Motherboard for P3 Xeons

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
I have gotten my hands on two P3 800Mhz Xeon's. Now I have never built a dually system before so could i get some suggestions on parts for this system? I want to do this as cheaply as possible, so I will most likely be eBaying for most of the components. I'm going to set it up as a web/file server at home.

defakto

2[H]4U
Xeons will require a Slot 2 board so, if that helps, should be able to narrow down your search on ebay for a lot quicker. I really recommend the intel slot 2 boards from that time period. Rock stable and very, very reliable. Also, make sure the board will have, or that you will pick up, some VRM's for it.

ambit

2[H]4U
Your 800Mhz, 133Fsb'd Xeon's are nothing put normal Coppermine Pentium III's in a slot2 form factor. Same cache as a normal pIII, some extra memory addressing but most people won't ever use that. Info here

It's probably going to be cheaper to pick up a dual pIII setup then getting a board + Reg'd ECC SDRAM for those chips. They won't work in the normal GX and NX Xeon boards, you need something with a 133Fsb.

Arstechnica and the 2cpu forums often have dual setups going cheap. Throw those Xeon's in the garbage or ebay off to someone else.

Scorpionjwp

2[H]4U
Hey telling someone to thow those processors in the garbage is like telling someone to just tear up a few dollar bills, the processors are expensive and could be worth about 20 dollars or more. And the 133fsb slot 2 motherboards have the vrms built into the board.

I have just recently looked on slot 2 xeon motherboards on ebay, they have a motherboard with Slot 2 xeon 1ghz processors for $119.00

Need memory I have 1 stick of 128mb pc133 ecc memory I have for sale
If that is not enough search ebay under the computer and networking area and under memory for pc133 ecc.

Scorpionjwp

2[H]4U
Still they cost some money, and besides posting one link to ebay showing a 800mhz doesn't help, so now one is bidding on it. Sooner or later someone will buy those processors.

As a person who has little cash on him, $14.00 is alot to some people.

Heck I have a pair of 700mhz slot 2 xeons laying around, am I going to ebay them or throw them away, heck no. Because I have a case ready for them, I just need to get a new Quad slot2 mb board, Which I will save up to get.

There is nothing like learning off of old technology and or building smp boxes for the enjoyment of doing so. You can game off a slot2 700mhz-1ghz xeon, using games like Guildwars or something else. They crunch workunits under the Program F@H great, and they are stable.

I say to the first poster, go out and look around for a 133fsb slot 2 mb and build it up from there.

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
Thanks for the responses, a friend had these two processors sitting around and said I could have them if I wanted them so I figured I may as well take them. I'll look around for a board and build a box as I find parts.

SiathLinux

Limp Gawd
I just cooked a mobo that ran Dual PIII@800 Coppermines, the PIIIs are fine, looking for another mobo to stuff em in, as Linux loves the dual cpu setup... Can we all say DOOM...he he he..