Motherboard does not POST and no video signal sent to monitor - GIGABYTE GA-965P

Hi, I am trying to assemble a new computer and have the problem listed above. These are the full specs (that should matter for this problem):

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-5400PHU2-2GBLA

Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Expressx16 Video Card

I have RMA'd the original motherboard that came after suspecting it was faulty, however the new one has the same problem.

When everything is powered up, the GPU and CPU fans spin around fine, and the red LED on the GPU is on as well. However no beeps at all come out of the speakers or motherboard, even with RAM chips removed and other configurations. There is no video displayed on the monitor as well. At this point I am thinking the problem may be in the CPU. Any ideas?

Apparently the boards shipped with the original bios had a problem booting if you ram required more than 1.8v. You may have to try borrowing a friend's ram.

Good luck.

I have been reading around and I've read a few cases that had that problem. Some of them reported that they would get beeps if both RAM chips were taken out, I have not. I shall try to use different RAM and see if anything happens.

Also, I forgot to say this in the original post and it may be important: Although the CPU fan spins and seems to work fine, the heatsink does not seem to get hot after the computer is turned on. This is partially what lead me to believe it was an issue with the CPU.

Have you tried to boot with just 1 stick of ram, and not both? Try one stick in each slot until it boots. If that is a no go, make sure your using a PSU with a 24pin connector, not a 20pin, and not one of those 20-24pin converters.

also i am guessing you have reset the CMOS and removed the battery and all that...

definately try one stick of ram... i know some ram was really not working well with different C2D mobos...

so go get some cheap DDR2 ram and see if it works.. if it doesnt RMA the CPU...

Yep, I've tried resetting CMOS and all that good stuff. I will try some new RAM if I can (already done the whole 1 stick/different slot dance several times) and see if it works, thanks.

If you search for some DS3 threads, is seems a few people have said there's a known problem between GSkill memory and that board. Someone mentioned going to GSkill's forums and asking for a replacement....or exchanging it for a better brand.

If it is indeed a problem with the RAM not allowing the BIOS to boot, would this matter any about the CPU not heating up, and could that indicate a dead chip?

evanmontegarde said:
If it is indeed a problem with the RAM not allowing the BIOS to boot, would this matter any about the CPU not heating up, and could that indicate a dead chip?
If you have done all this, the reason why it wont boot is due to the fact that the g.skill ram needs 2.1v (or close to it) the defualt gigabyte bios setting is 1.9v. This is more then likely your issue at hand here. I was lucky enough that my board came with at least the F3 BIOS and this issue was already resolved, as im too using the G.skill ram, and it is by far the best ram i've ever owned PERIOD. Either buy the cheapest stick possible that uses 1.9v boot with it, go into the BIOS and change the DRAM settings accordingly, shut off PC, install your good ram, and BOOM, you should be good to go.

Did this solve the problem? I am working on a new build with nearly the same specs (Gigabyte motherboard with G-skill RAM) and EXACTLY the same problem.

Back