Motherboard Customer Service - is there any good ones out there?

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
Just curious, because I am doing a little bit of research on the top players:

MSI
ASUS
Gigabyte
ASRock

And based on what I have read online, every single one of their Customer Service support are shit.

And it seems in terms of reliability, ASRock seems to be on the bottom of the list in terms of duration, with Asus next, and MSI and Gigabyte tied with the least issues.

Is that people's general overall feel? Go with a quality board from a quality company from the beginning, because God help you if you need to call any in for an RMA?

Love to get people's perspective on this.

Seems like eVGA has the best service but their mobos have been hit and miss, Gigabyte mobo quality is on par with Asus IMO and they have better RMA but their early bioses are less than stellar. MSI seem to be the solid choice right now. Asus builds great mobo but their RMA services are mostly non-existence. AsRock are very good for the money IMO, their mainstream boards (eg: X99 Extreme 4) are very good, not sure about their highend though.

First ASRock board I purchased was an X58 Extreme6. It is now being used in a family member's computer. That particular model was not very good with running high BCLK when overclocking, but overall a really good board once dialed in.

My current board is an ASRock X79 Extreme6. The 3rd party USB3 has always been flakey, but that was a well known issue with the earlier X79 boards from pretty much every mfg due to the chipset that most of them used. Other than that, it has been a great board.

ASRock seems to have really good board layout for the most part, but their BIOSes don't have nearly as many available settings as Gigabyte or ASUS.

My wife has a Gigabyte X58 UD5 in her computer. I purchased this board used around a year ago. It is a much better overclocker than my x58 ASrock board was due to it working at a much higher BCLK.

Quite a few years ago, I purchased a Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (LGA775) board new. That board was a wonderful board and is now in use in another family member's computer.

Previous to that I had an MSI P35 chipset based board and it worked great until it was hit by lightning a few years ago.

So far for me, Gigabyte has been my favorite brand, but I am unsure of their RMA service since I never had to use it.

For ASRock I also never had to RMA anything, but I did order a BIOS chip from them for my x58 board after a bad flash.

I had great service from msi with a used/refurb board. They used the serial to verify warranty info and never asked for a recipt. I had 2 of the same board and accidentally gave them the wrong serial for rma (both were of the same "litter") and they didn't give me any grief when they found the board in the box was a different s#. They just updated it on the site and sent me a new one.

I think ASRock is best. It has features that you find on much more expensive set-ups which are nice. Great for over clocking and well thought and lay out.

Asus builds great mobo but their RMA services are mostly non-existence.

Seconded. ASUS's support SUCKS, horribly. I unfortunately had to RMA a board once, took them two attempts to get me a working one. Was without my main computer for the better part of a month and a half. (#1 came back with the exact same problem as the one I sent in...)

Having dealt with the RMA process with ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte and MSI, my experience has been positive overall with most of them. ASUS was really good 7 or 8 years ago, but I would not trust them now. Gigabyte has terrible communication, but they process things quickly and have not sent me a defective replacement yet. MSI has had a really fast turnaround time the last few times I dealt with them, but they really need to QC their warranty replacements a little better. Overall, I had a really good experience with Biostar, but it has only been once. I have worked with very few of their motherboards, compared to dozens from ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI.

I usually look for a Gigabyte motherboard first, followed by an MSI, then ASUS, and if there is an unbelievably good price I'll take a chance on an Asrock or a Biostar. Avoid ECS at all cost! I can't make a determination on EVGA based upon personal experience. The general consensus out there seems to be that they make some very good motherboards and some pretty terrible ones. Their video card customer service is second to none, so I would hope that translates over to their motherboards as well.

some asus shitbag pitched my socket cover and blamed me. gigabyte and msi have been painless experiences.

piling on, if you buy ASUS cross your fingers as you basically have a no warranty product

I have only had three motherboard problems ever.

I've built countless systems.

Newegg sent me a DOA EVGA X-58 board, NIB.
I called EVGA and they sent me out a NIB replacement in a week.

I had an EVGA X58 Classified board that started to have a problem with memory slots ( a known problem with those boards) after about 18 months.
EVGA sent me a reconditioned board that was warped.
They wouldn't really help much, because it was "fully functional" in that condition.
I sold it.

I had a fan go bad on an ASUS chipset, replaced with no problems.

Even though we read all kinds of bad stuff about ASUS customer service, I have three of their boards right now that have never given me an issue.
I think their build quality is excellent, maybe that's why I've never had to deal with their CS.

Nearly a decade ago I had a normal asus rma experience with an x38 board but that was rearly a decade ago. I expected the most recent one to go normally, too. That did not happen.

Without question it's EVGA. The only problem is that EVGA boards tend not to be as feature rich as other brands.

No other motherboard manufacturer (or graphics card manufacturer) is left besides EVGA that does advanced RMA.

Now that DFI is gone, EVGA.

MSI has been hit or miss -- smart person or mindless script reader. OTOH people say MSI handles warranty claims fast, but people have also complained of getting back their defective products with no repairs done.

Back