Motherboard beeping under heavy CPU load.

mike686

Limp Gawd
My EVGA 680i motherboard seems to make a beep from the system speaker at random times while under heavy system load, particularly heavy 3d games and using the calculator while orthos is running. This isn't an issue from holding down multiple keys at once, as it happens with only 1 key being pressed.

What could this be from? Insufficient CPU voltage?

mike686 said:
My EVGA 680i motherboard seems to make a beep from the system speaker at random times while under heavy system load, particularly heavy 3d games and using the calculator while orthos is running. This isn't an issue from holding down multiple keys at once, as it happens with only 1 key being pressed.

What could this be from? Insufficient CPU voltage?

insufficient CPU resources. All PC's will do it. Basically the motherboard sends a beep to the system speaker when the CPU can't respond to an interrupt because a higher priority interrupt is taking place, or the needed I/O buffer is full.

I see. So is there any way to disable this beep, or is that not a good idea?

mike686 said:
I see. So is there any way to disable this beep, or is that not a good idea?

Just unplug the system speaker, but then you lose error beeps at boot up. All it's really doing though is informing you that whatever action you just did (press a key, or move the mouse) is going to be ignored because the system is just to damned busy to pay attention ot you at the moment. :) Any reason why you're running at 110% loads?

Well it does it during games, say in Company of Heroes when I want to rotate the map view and have to hold ALT, it will beep a few times, and studder a little bit. Also it will happen when I'm running a stability check program, and typing something at the same time (which is understandable).

I just don't get why it does it during games, it seems like rotating a map around wouldn't make the motherboard beep.

mike686 said:
Well it does it during games, say in Company of Heroes when I want to rotate the map view and have to hold ALT, it will beep a few times, and studder a little bit. Also it will happen when I'm running a stability check program, and typing something at the same time (which is understandable).

I just don't get why it does it during games, it seems like rotating a map around wouldn't make the motherboard beep.

That is strange. What OS are you running? and what background processes do you have running. Also check to make sure you have all the latest drivers installed.

XP Pro, and I'm just running AntiVir Personal Edition and Alcohol 120%. 29 processes at startup with 0-1% cpu usage.

Do you think it could be my e6600 overclocked to 3.3GHz is getting overstressed? It never goes above 58*C on load.

Have the same thing on evga 680i with overclocked games, .. Wish I could locate the little sucker- maybe I could smother it or something. :D

right click on my computer
properties/hardware/device manager/systems devices

disable system speaker.

play games.

vanilla_guerilla said:
right click on my computer
properties/hardware/device manager/systems devices

disable system speaker.

play games.

he'll still have the stuttering in game though. The speaker is just affirming that there's a problem. But I guess since he knows there's a problem now, he could disable the speaker until he gets it fixed.

Thanks for the tip - Tryed it -- still beeps the same
even better now sometimes when it beeps while playing a 2142 my right MOVE button seems to get stuck and you start going in circles for about 5 seconds.oh boy what next
I think Ill turn it back on and maybe that will clear up. LOL

Thanks for the input guys. That link to the EVGA forums thread seems to describe exactly the problem I'm having. It sounds like it only happens with the 680i boards. I'll be looking forward to a BOIS update. :eek:

Back