Motherboard Audio vs Dedicated Card

Askeptic

n00b
Hi guys!

I just upgraded my motherboard and need some advice on which audio device would be best. I don't know much about audio specs, so I am kinda lost. I could probably try out both methods to see which I think sounds better, but I would also like to know spec wise, which one should be better before doing so.

Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 motherboard
VS
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Edition

I bought my audio card many years ago, so I am not sure if it can still hang. Lastly, is there a better PCIe x1 sound option for $50 or less? It is worth mentioning that I no longer use my computer only for gaming, but I also like to listen to music as well. I don't watch any DVD's or anything like that though.

Thanks!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041965352

Why post the same thread over and over again? Guess I'll just quote my answer from your last thread.

In terms of gaming, you will have the benefit of a creative chip either way, as your motherboard has a Sound Core 3D chip built in (same as Recon3D series and current Z series). This will come into play if you are looking to downmix 5.1 / 7.1 game content into stereo, etc. With your motherboard this would be done using SBX Pro Studio, whereas on the X-Fi it would be done using CMSS-3D. Some prefer one over the other (I personally prefer CMSS-3D) but they are both very good. The X-Fi has the benefit of having an actual processor onboard to handle the processing, whereas the the "Sound Core 3D" chip is just a DSP that makes your CPU do a lot of the work. In the end though it doesn't really matter.

In terms of music playback, the X-Fi isn't anything special, only sporting an SNR of 109db. I'm having difficulty finding similar stats for your motherboard, but it looks like similar models have an SNR of ~115db, in which case your motherboard may very well be the superior solution. Of course, as with most things audio, nothing beats simply trying both for yourself and seeing what you prefer.

Back