Motherboard Asus TUF B550M-PLUS (no wifi) doesn't seem to support Crucial DDR4 3200

Jandor

Gawd
I mounted an Asus TUF B550M-PLUS with 128GB of Crucial DDR4 3200 ECC and I has problems booting. It may boot once in a while and also work until it has to bbot (so I could install Windows 11).
I tried an Asus Prime A520M with dual RAM slots to test those RAM and they fit okay without a problem at 3200. 2 RAM at once give me the same problem on the Asus TUF B550M-PLUS.
When I force the speed of the RAM at 2666 there seem to 0 problems. :(
Cannot return the board as I waited too long and it does work.
The weird thing is that when I am able to boot if I test the RAM at 3200, it passes the test. So the quality of the RAM is clearly not the problem. It's the board. I don't have any faster RAM to test but only other 2666 ECC DIMM.
Does someone with this kind of board experienced those limitations ?
I may try to buy a GIGABYTE B550M AORUS Elite. Is this Gigabyte board a good bet ? looks cheaper but more sophisticated regarding the electronics.

boot with one stick, up the ram and soc voltage. if that doesnt help, boot with one, manually set it to 2933 and then try both.

What CPU are you using?
5800X. The sticks are 32GB RAM ECC 3200 Crucial each. And they boot on a Asus Prime A520m-k (2 sticks) and a 5600X with 0 problem. Both motherboards are up to date regarding their BIOS. And I even tested about all of the latest BIOSes if ever some bug or limitation was introduced.
But there is a huge difference on the SSD side between my Prime system and my TUF system. The TUF has 2 sticks of Samsung Nvme 970 Pro and the Prime has 2 Sata SSD 860 one Pro, one Evo. Both have Windows 11 installed up to date as far as I could on the TUF since at every reboot I had to reboot serval times until it booted well, and until I found the 2666 speed makes everything good. At first I even considred there was a problem with the secure boot and all that BIOS configuration needed by Windows 11 but it wasn't the case.
Now what is odd is that the "natural" speed of the Crucial which is a pro server stick that should be ultra-stable with ECC is not supported on the TUF. I won't be using this PC for gaming or overclock it. It is supposed to be a professional super-stable computer.
So I didn't test one stick only because I'm really not interested to be on the limit. Maybe 2933 goes well but I have A TUF B450M Pro with older Crucial 2666 32GBx4 running great for some years now. I'm just asking myself if the Crucial 3200 are worse or if the TUF B550M-plus model has a limitation or if my motherboard is bad. The RAM sticks seem to be good but have some limitations working at full speed on that board.

I lost plenty of time trying to solve that problem, even tested another graphics card, removed the USB 3 socket etc etc

The difference between the MB you have tested that work and the one that doesnt could be nothing more that the settings pendragon suggested changing.
The BIOS may be setting the V higher on one board than another or it may have more Vdrop than the other.
It not really overclocking it is just giving it what it needs to be stable and the reason it is unstable is likely due to the MB BIOS has guessed wrong about how much is required.

When buying a MB for 4 sticks of dual rank RAM look for a MB with 6-8 PCB layers, it's likely those budget MB have 4 layers which will increase the requierd voltage for a stable signal between the RAM and the memory controller.

easy check would be to slightly bump the memory voltage up by .02-.03v see if it gets more stable.. bumping the soc voltage might help just don't go crazy on it.. some boards and cpu memory controllers can be a little picky on running memory on all 4 slots.

i'd also do some searching to see if anyone else ran into issues running 128GB on any 5k series/zen 3 cpu's and/or anyone running 4 sticks of ECC. might give you some ideas on what to look at specifically.

Last edited:
Have seen this with a few AMD based boards since Ryzen. As mentioned stock volts on the RAM doesnt cut it. Up it a fraction and bingo.

Hopefully one day they will fix it, as in 25 years of PC building never had to do that before.

Also I'd never try running 4 sticks on a chipset that doesnt support quad channel specifically.

Back