Motherboard advice 2x m.2 slots needed.

BBMorti

n00b
Hey men. I feel a little pretentious making a new thread with my first post here, but I do feel like I am, somewhat, part of the family here as a year long lurker.

So I am currently doing a bit of research into my new build. My old one lasted me for 7'ish years, I feel it is time for an upgrade.

To the point. Two questions.

First, I would like advice on a motherboard that supports 2x m.2 slots. I plan to pickup 2x 950 pro 512 gigs and likely put them in Raid 0. I am out of patience waiting for the 1TB ones.

I aim for at least an i7 Hexa Core. Budget wise I am pretty flexible here, I am willing to consider the asus x99 deluxe II as around the highest I will go, price wise.

I don't have the patience to wait for a Skylake-E to come out.

Any pointers for me?

Second, I didn't really manage to find much written about it, but Putting two 950 pro 512 gigs in Raid0, is that an instant bottleneck for any other systems than skylake setups? I am asking here as a complete idiot.

Skylake as far as I was aware is the only platform that will boot it. If you can use them as normal drives though and don't need to boot off them x99 is going to be your better route due to having more pcie lanes. Most boards only have 1 m2 slot but that's fine. It's just a shrunken x4 interface. You can buy a x4 card for the second one. (or third one, or fourth one. .)

If I were you go x99 and hopefully soon x8 or even x16 nvme controllers will be out if you really want that type of bandwidth.

I'm surprised I can't find x8/x16 cards that can hold two x4 m2's so you don't have to waste a slot with only an x4 interface.

Hey Mchart,
I was wondering what you meant about Skylake being the only platform to "boot it'? Are you saying booting with a NVME drive or booting a RAID 0 setup with two drives, likely with an add-on card? I was under the impression that the X99 boards that use Haswell-E/Broadwell-E can now all boot from a NVME drives? I'm planning on getting a X99 based board this summer and if I can't boot with a Samsun 950 Pro or equivalent, that puts a wrinkle on my plans.

Thanks,
Louie.

Skylake as far as I was aware is the only platform that will boot it. If you can use them as normal drives though and don't need to boot off them x99 is going to be your better route due to having more pcie lanes. Most boards only have 1 m2 slot but that's fine. It's just a shrunken x4 interface. You can buy a x4 card for the second one. (or third one, or fourth one. .)
QUOTE]

Sorry, should have been more specific. Meant to say that they can't boot off of NVME raid. They'll boot single NVME just fine.

Not sure about x99, but the rig in my sig boots just fine w/ 2x 950evo's, with and without raid....

And FYI, the raid thing with these drives is overrated IMHO, as you only get a miniscule performance increase, which to me just wasn't worth the time & effort to erase both drives and copy/re-install everything from my back-ups :)

Back