Most Young Millennials Love Piracy and Ad-Blockers

I really hate how they keep moving the goal post of what a "Millennial" is to suit whatever shit they want to post/gripe about us "young people" keep breaking or not conforming to. Some places it's 18-24, others it's 18-34. I thought I used to be Gen Y, but now I'm in the cusp of the Millennial whenever it suits whatever news outlet's agenda.

Also, when is any of this shit going to be on Gen X? Remember the Kurt Cobain generation? Or are we really trying to say people 35-60 are all post-WW2/Korea offspring?

I really hate how they keep moving the goal post of what a "Millennial" is to suit whatever shit they want to post/gripe about us "young people" keep breaking or not conforming to. Some places it's 18-24, others it's 18-34. I thought I used to be Gen Y, but now I'm in the cusp of the Millennial whenever it suits whatever news outlet's agenda.

Also, when is any of this shit going to be on Gen X? Remember the Kurt Cobain generation? Or are we really trying to say people 35-60 are all post-WW2/Korea offspring?
They do the same shit with liberal and conservative. Let some asshole get a hold of some title and watch them go wild. It just means it is someone who likes to throw names around cuz they think it makes them look smart and powerful.

Omg. Did someone's electronic copies get stolen? Who would do that?

One could argue it is victimless, and it would be true, but only in such cases where the downloader would never have purchased the content if they couldn't download it for free.

The thing is, people find it easier to justify stuff like this when it involves industries that resort to arbitrary region limitations, platform/channel exclusives, DRM, lockouts, etc. The industry isn't doing itself any favors, and is providing those who pirate justifications (albeit weak ones, but it doesn't take much)

This comic is as relevant as ever.

I bet the biggest thing they could do to limit piracy is just drop all exclusives, release at the same time in all markets and on all platforms, and do away with DRM permanently. Then people wouldn't be pissed off and justify their piracy. There will still be some piracy, but I bet there would be much less.

Call me names if you wish but I am seriously starting to think all this generation labeling (baby boomers, generation x, millenials) is part of an elaborate plan to keep the american society divided. At least that's how it looks from the outside. I am not aware of any other nation doing it.
Yup. I have no idea what "label" I'm supposed to be given at 39, and IDGAF about it either.

As for the piracy thing, I got all that out of my system ages ago.

Agreed.

IMHO, the best definition of Millenial I've ever heard are those people young enough to not remember a time before the internet.

Being born in 1980, according to some articles I'm at the very beginning of the millenial generation, but according to others I'm at the very tail end of Gen X.

I disagree that I am part of either.

I think there is a small generation between Gen X and the Millenial generation, maybe only 10 years long (Let's say 1978-1988?), of people old enough to remember and have grown up in a time before ubiquitous internet, but young enough to still mostly be "digital natives" through coming of age along with the technology in their teens.

But yeah, journalists love to shift the goal posts depending on the point they are trying to make.

The whole "I pirate stuff so everybody else must" argument is just people trying to justify stealing other people's stuff.

Well hold on, lets just take a step back and look at the process itself.

A computer was designed to copy information. That's what computers have been doing since day one. Before computers, these recording industries had to come up with their own formats (records, reel-to-reel, VHS, Laserdisc, cassette, you get the picture). Records and Laserdiscs never had an issue with consumer copying, because no one owned something that could record to the medium (there were some vinyl cutters, but no laserdisc copiers).

Computers made it so easy for companies to finally mass produce their product. They could flood the market with very little effort because someone else already developed the process by which to do it. The crux though, was that the format was designed from the get go to allow copying.

Music and movies are a product. It is up to the makers of that product to ensure that their product is safe. If they choose to be lazy and use a medium that is compromised by design, they do not get to complain when their products get compromised.

"Early 80s" to "early 2000s" is the best we've got for now. The very word Millenial means those who graduated high school in the year 2000 for the beginning, so that's 1982ish. The old placeholder name of Generation Y got dumped when it became more clear what defined the beginning of the generation, just as the current placeholder names for those born after the early 2000s will probably get dumped for something else. I see some suggesting as late as 2004 for the end of the Millenial Generation, but I personally think the year 2001 is too sharp a divide in the American timeline to not be used as a generational marker.

Just like the previous Nomad generation, the Lost Generation of 1883-1900, Generation X is defined by what they are not. Gen Xs are not baby boomers. Gen Xs are not Millenials. Like the middle child isn't the first born or the baby.

I have a preference for ad-blocking that's related to the prevalence of invasive ads on *most sites*. They're annoying (especially the ones that go full-screen or scroll), security risks, and performance hogs.

While ads today have all of these issues, ads back in the wild west days of the internet in the mid 90s to 2005ish were far worse. Browser security was mostly non-existent and bugs/oversights in browsers like IE allowed tons of abuse which advertisers exploited without a care in the world. Advertisers today are still scumbags but they can get away with far less than they used to.

I've used ad blockers since some of the first publicly available ones were released in the late 90s and I never intend to go without one. I also make sure my customers have one installed because it drastically cuts down on "I was browsing this site and it pushed a virus to me" or in the case of my older customers "help, this website popped up this thing saying to pay them $300 or my data will be deleted".

If sites would use responsible standards in their ads they'd make more money in the long run from not being blocked, but everything is so right-now that they won't reduce their per-click from the big annoying ads to something more subtle.

Intrusive advertisers and websites would never do something sensible like that. They're too busy lobbying the government to classify ad blocking as piracy and making ad blockers illegal. Anti-ad blocking is slowly growing and there's a small outspoken group of people that are out to destroy ad blockers.

Back