Most Young Millennials Love Piracy and Ad-Blockers

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that two-thirds of all millennials love piracy and use ad-blockers or the fact that they've come up with a new word for kids streaming pirated content (striminals). Ugh.

More than two-thirds of all millennials admit to having downloaded or streamed pirated content, a new survey from Anatomy Media finds. The same group also has a high preference for ad-blocking, which is believed to be directly related to the high prevalence of invasive ads on pirate sites.

I have a preference for ad-blocking that's related to the prevalence of invasive ads on *most sites*. They're annoying (especially the ones that go full-screen or scroll), security risks, and performance hogs. If sites would use responsible standards in their ads they'd make more money in the long run from not being blocked, but everything is so right-now that they won't reduce their per-click from the big annoying ads to something more subtle.

Yeah, because only pirate sites use invasive ads.... yup, uh huh....

Edit: silly having to talk to a co-worker made my post later than Paladin's... :(

Anyone under age 40 = millennial gets kind of old. Basically anyone that had a computer in the last 20 years has pirated something and before that their parents were making vhs and casette tape bootlegs and before that grandpa was bootlegin booze.

Baby boomer generation loves to hate on anyone under 40 but they sound just like their old man that they rebelled against in the 60s and 70s. "Why do kids not want to get married" i dont know maybe because your generation had a 50% divorce rate? "why cant you hit kids anymore?" maybe because your generation used to beat kids unconscious lol... "parents are horrible these days" ... "lets go back and pretend incest didnt happen ..." and "marijuana is why people are dying of pills and heroine".... "goes to med cabinet for pills ..."

I use adblock by default, but remove for sites a like and use regularly (like the [H])

"a comprehensive survey of 2,700 young millennials between 18 and 24"

I block scripts and so on, if that happens to be how ads load so be it.

Sounds like companies might have to, you know, adapt and review their current prices and delivery methods. "A price the market can bear" does not mean keep the prices higher and complain about piracy - it means your pricing is too high and the market is telling you this in very plain terms. I use to pirate a ton of music years ago. Then I found Pandora. $36 a year to stream all the music I want? I actually wanted to give them more money (and did not complain when they raised prices). Haven't pirated any music since. Netflix/Hulu pretty much killed my want to pirate movies. Steam sales killed my want to pirate games.

Again, piracy is a byproduct of bad pricing.

As for ad blocking? Yeah, everything I would say has already been said.

Call me names if you wish but I am seriously starting to think all this generation labeling (baby boomers, generation x, millenials) is part of an elaborate plan to keep the american society divided. At least that's how it looks from the outside. I am not aware of any other nation doing it.

Anyone under age 40 = millennial gets kind of old. Basically anyone that had a computer in the last 20 years has pirated something and before that their parents were making vhs and casette tape bootlegs and before that grandpa was bootlegin booze.

Baby boomer generation loves to hate on anyone under 40 but they sound just like their old man that they rebelled against in the 60s and 70s. "Why do kids not want to get married" i dont know maybe because your generation had a 50% divorce rate? "why cant you hit kids anymore?" maybe because your generation used to beat kids unconscious lol... "parents are horrible these days" ... "lets go back and pretend incest didnt happen ..." and "marijuana is why people are dying of pills and heroine".... "goes to med cabinet for pills ..."

I'm over 40, have had a computer in the last 20 years, and I don't pirate anything. But I use an ad blocker.

I pay $300 some dollars for NFL Sunday Ticket every year. But you know what sucks? I can get a better quality stream from various .eu pirate sites about 60% of the time, because DirecTV's streaming service sucks so bad. If some guy in his basement in Belgium can serve out a pirate stream better than a massive communications company getting a huge amount of money from its subscribers, then maybe the massive communications company doesn't even deserve to have people's money. I sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket anyways because I love the NFL and I'm not a poor college student any more, but I find no fault in anyone who pirates streaming video given how bad the legal alternatives can be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the creator of AdBlock suddenly gets sued for billions and slapped with 5 life sentences...

Baby boomers can a bag of Dick's. I'm gen X, not a damn millennial. Apparently the worst gen, mine turns out to be the best out of the boomers through millennials.

I pay $300 some dollars for NFL Sunday Ticket every year. But you know what sucks? I can get a better quality stream from various .eu pirate sites about 60% of the time, because DirecTV's streaming service sucks so bad. If some guy in his basement in Belgium can serve out a pirate stream better than a massive communications company getting a huge amount of money from its subscribers, then maybe the massive communications company doesn't even deserve to have people's money. I sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket anyways because I love the NFL and I'm not a poor college student any more, but I find no fault in anyone who pirates streaming video given how bad the legal alternatives can be.
That's what I've been telling for years. That if the pirated content is better quality and more convenient to use than the paid content, then it's no wonder people will choose the former. It's not about stealing and paying nothing, and being entitled to stuff for free. I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee for getting the content in a timely fashion and in high quality. But as it stands I'm persona non grata for most content providers. They think they can get away with not offering me a service because I'm not located in the right part of the world, but then go on to blame me if I look for alternative sources.

Call me names if you wish but I am seriously starting to think all this generation labeling (baby boomers, generation x, millenials) is part of an elaborate plan to keep the american society divided. At least that's how it looks from the outside. I am not aware of any other nation doing it.

You are 100% correct, most topics in this country are meant to divide us up in one way or another besides the most obvious ones sex, race, sexual preference, politics, religion. Hell even sports were created to cause division amongst the masses.

I take offense that they think I pirate. Coincidentally, how you guys enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider and Doom?

If you partially subscribe to the Strauss-Howe generational theory without understanding the full theory, you're in for a surprise about who the Millenial generation should theoretically grow up to be.

I'll let you read the Wikipedia article for full detail, and you really should because it's really interesting. But in short, there's four historical cycles called Turnings - High, Awakening, Unraveling, Crisis. And there are four archetypes of generations that respond to and deal with those cycles - Prophet (Idealist), Nomad (Reactive), Hero (Civic), Artist (Adaptive).

The Greatest Generation, aka the G.I. Generation, are those born 1901-1924, who grew up in the Great Depression, fought in WW2, and became producers during the post-war boom. They were the Hero (Civic) archetype, dealing with the Crisis Turning. Following them, we have:
The Silent Generation, the Artist (Idealist) archetype dealing with the High Turning of Superpower America, which began with the end of WW2 and ended with the assassination of JFK.
The Baby Boom Generation, the Prophet (Idealist) archetype dealing with the Awakening Turning of the Consciousness Revolution.
Generation X, the Nomad (Reactive) archetype dealing with the Unraveling Turning of the Culture Wars and Postmodernism
The Millenial Generation, the Hero (Civic) archetype who are now dealing with the Great Recession and the War On Terror

I would not be so scornful of the Millenial Generation before they show us what they're really capable of later in life, considering that they are the ones that are going to be cleaning up your mess.

The only people who don't love ad-blockers are those who don't know better or advertisers.

Why even relate it to millennials?

Even piracy. Napster was launched in 1999. Who didn't use that back in the day?

If you partially subscribe to the Strauss-Howe generational theory without understanding the full theory, you're in for a surprise about who the Millenial generation should theoretically grow up to be.

I'll let you read the Wikipedia article for full detail, and you really should because it's really interesting. But in short, there's four historical cycles called Turnings - High, Awakening, Unraveling, Crisis. And there are four archetypes of generations that respond to and deal with those cycles - Prophet (Idealist), Nomad (Reactive), Hero (Civic), Artist (Adaptive).

The Greatest Generation, aka the G.I. Generation, are those born 1901-1924, who grew up in the Great Depression, fought in WW2, and became producers during the post-war boom. They were the Hero (Civic) archetype, dealing with the Crisis Turning. Following them, we have:
The Silent Generation, the Artist (Idealist) archetype dealing with the High Turning of Superpower America, which began with the end of WW2 and ended with the assassination of JFK.
The Baby Boom Generation, the Prophet (Idealist) archetype dealing with the Awakening Turning of the Consciousness Revolution.
Generation X, the Nomad (Reactive) archetype dealing with the Unraveling Turning of the Culture Wars and Postmodernism
The Millenial Generation, the Hero (Civic) archetype who are now dealing with the Great Recession and the War On Terror

I would not be so scornful of the Millenial Generation before they show us what they're really capable of later in life, considering that they are the ones that are going to be cleaning up your mess.

This is very interesting. Though, I don't think it takes into account that we are in "The Long Peace" era since there haven't any combatant conflicts between the great powers since 1945. Conflict and War history cycles dictate we should be on the verge of another major war.

I don't subscribe to bullshit. This sounds almost as stupid as astrology. Lumping people into grossly generalized groups is never a good idea. I don't adhere to the idea that just because I was born at a specific time I should be a certain type of person.

Why would it be necessary for this cycle to repeat in a loop anyway? Why can't there be two idealist generations right after each other?

I don't subscribe to bullshit. This sounds almost as stupid as astrology. Lumping people into grossly generalized groups is never a good idea. I don't adhere to the idea that just because I was born at a specific time I should be a certain type of person.

Why would it be necessary for this cycle to repeat in a loop anyway? Why can't there be two idealist generations right after each other?

Those who forget the past...

This is very interesting. Though, I don't think it takes into account that we are in "The Long Peace" era since there haven't any combatant conflicts between the great powers since 1945. Conflict and War history cycles dictate we should be on the verge of another major war.

I seem to recall that Pearl Harbor was quite the surprise to the American people.

What a shit paper. Any actual researcher would rip this paper apart for their shoddy methodologies, the dubious references, and their misguided conclusion.

this is a guess but I think this happens everywhere

instead of taking the time to examine a complex topic thoroughly one tries to "simplify" it by using less words

the least effort is combining everything into one word

Those who forget the past...
So not subscribing to the theory of this cycle, means forgetting the past? I don't follow.
It's a non-theory. Naturally in wars there are heroes. In a world war more people fight ergo there are more heroes. That doesn't mean everyone living in that era is a hero type. There are just as many hero types right now only in the current era there is not much need for that type of hero. And there were just as many in between too.

The only people who don't love ad-blockers are those who don't know better or advertisers.

Why even relate it to millennials?

According to the popularly accepted meaning "millennials" are the people born between the early 1980s, and mid 1990s. So it's possible that some millenials were using napster. ANd it's true, that's the generation that made piracy mainstream.

Part of the problem is that pirating is far easier than buying in many cases. Have you ever tried to use one of those digital copy codes that's included in blu-ray disks? It's like pulling teeth trying to jump through all the hoops. Every time I've tried, I give up after a few minutes and hit the torrent sites.

I'm also over 40, got my first Computer in 1982 a Televideo TS-803 and have used add blockers since they have been available. Although most of my surfing is now either done on my phone or tablet and I don't block adds on those, I just go to a handful of websites anyways.

I have a preference for ad-blocking that's related to the prevalence of invasive ads on *most sites*. They're annoying (especially the ones that go full-screen or scroll), security risks, and performance hogs. If sites would use responsible standards in their ads they'd make more money in the long run from not being blocked, but everything is so right-now that they won't reduce their per-click from the big annoying ads to something more subtle.
That was good, but could be better.

Some pro-tips for your next post.

Lead with an outrageous baiting title, but make it in the form of a question so you can't get sued, like "BREAKING: Hillary Has Ebolaids?"

Next, post in the form of a slideshow, separating each comma or period from your sentences above into a new slide to generate more clicks.

Be sure to have a video ad open up in a new window in the background with each new slide, so the users have to search for what that sound is coming from, and when closing it, make sure there's a popup confirmation box asking if they are sure.

Reread my quote, then look up when Pearl Harbor took place.

I was actually responding to the other part of your post:

Conflict and War history cycles dictate we should be on the verge of another major war.

The Long Peace that was begun by the second atomic bomb dropped on Japan (the first was for Japan, the second for Stailn) will end sooner or later. Either quickly with a nuclear weapon, or slowly due to resource shortage, but it will end. We will be very surprised when it does.

I didn't.

My dad was born in 1925 and he had no problem copying CDs, downloading songs off Napster, any of that. When he died, his computer still had a Napster icon right on the desktop - and this was the old pirate Napster, not the new music streaming Napster.

The whole "I pirate stuff so everybody else must" argument is just people trying to justify stealing other people's stuff.

Back