Most Useful WI-Fi Only Smartphone?

Mr. B

Limp Gawd
I'll try and keep this short. I've never really had a phone with a data plan which I'm fine with because I have easy access to the internet between home, school and work. There's wi-fi everywhere. Recently I bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8900 with wi-fi thinking I could use IM/Facebook apps, etc while connected to an access point.

...turns out even with a wi-fi connection I can't do any of those things, you need a data plan.

I just can't justify paying extra for the internet on some tiny screen when I'm already paying to get it at my house and my office. Can anyone make suggestions on what smartphones or family of phones offers the most functionality via Wi-Fi?

[edit]I'm currently on AT&T if that makes any difference. I'm open to buying a used phone. I got the 8900 on eBay.

iPhone.
Wifi wise, it will be great for you to IM/Facebook on while using it to call occasionally.

Other then that, *ANY* phone that has wifi should work without restrictions no matter the app. Im not sure you BB is functioning correctly.

iPhone.
Wifi wise, it will be great for you to IM/Facebook on while using it to call occasionally.

Other then that, *ANY* phone that has wifi should work without restrictions no matter the app. Im not sure you BB is functioning correctly.

quite a few phones require a data plan to use wifi. the sprint palm pre is one of them I believe. I'd also recommend the iphone or the nexus one.

Get yourself an unbranded phone if you don't want AT&T adding the data plan for you whether you like it or not (well, at least a phone with no AT&T branding). I know anything with Windows Mobile doesn't have limitations like the ones you listed.

Get any unlocked smart phone with Wifi and jump on a TMobile plan. All you need to do is buy a sim card.

id have to agree att is awful. they charge you for txt and charge you for data. If you cant switch services im not sure what att wifi phone they wont charge you for data with seems all the good ones they do. maybe you should buy a mini laptop for 100 bux? be cheaper than most phones are new. i have sprint with unlimited txt unlimited data for cheap price or id be in same boat or not using internet on the go. (logging into wifi is annoying and seems to kill the battery)

Back