most reliable brand? corsair? PC Powe and Cooling?

Depends on the OEM not the brand. Corsair has something like 3 or 4 different companies making PSU's for them and some are great and some are not. My EVGA G2 is made by Superflower and is superb. The previous Supernova line not so much.

Like mentioned above, read reviews here and Johnny Guru and make your choice based off their findings.

There really is no "best brand." You need to search up whichever model PSU you're looking at for professional reviews. If a professional doesn't exist for it (or a similar model, i.e. Seasonic X750 and X850 are basically the same platform), don't buy it.

Although...

JG gave my Corsair RM 850 power supply a 92% or something like that, so I bought it. Nice looking silent single rail unit, which I prefer to multi-rail.
I'd found it on a good deal and popped over there to quickly check it out and based on that, pulled the trigger.

Few days later, I saw that the H had reviewed the unit some time ago and gave it fail and declined to recommend it so...

If u have time, check out a few places.

Depends on the OEM not the brand. Corsair has something like 3 or 4 different companies making PSU's for them and some are great and some are not. My EVGA G2 is made by Superflower and is superb. The previous Supernova line not so much.

Like mentioned above, read reviews here and Johnny Guru and make your choice based off their findings.

I had an EVGA 1000w G2 and it was perfect. Had the additional distinction of being CHEAP and having a 10 year warranty. Typing this makes me feel stupid for selling it.

The only bad power supply I've had was an Antec but I've been careful buying. Seasonic, Evga (careful which one), Corsair have all had zero problems here

Although...

JG gave my Corsair RM 850 power supply a 92% or something like that, so I bought it. Nice looking silent single rail unit, which I prefer to multi-rail.
I'd found it on a good deal and popped over there to quickly check it out and based on that, pulled the trigger.

Few days later, I saw that the H had reviewed the unit some time ago and gave it fail and declined to recommend it so...

[H] is now my preferred choice for power supply reviews with JG second

Although...

Read the RM750 review again and note that there were updates to it.

[H]OCP's testing environment is by nature far more challenging than JonnyGuru's. It can clearly be seen by the fact that JonnyGuru's RM850 ambient hot testing only reached 40 C, while [H]OCP ambient tests at 45 C. Low overtemp protections and not aggressive enough fan controller profiles have resulted in multiple [H] failures where it would have passed other testing.

Although...

Any problems with it? Might just be the review unit H had.

Read my post above.

Alright, I read that, and for once (not often), I kind of agree with Corsair. The end user is likely not going to see the same results as a synthetic torture test in 113F temps. Jonnyguru's 40C test vs. the 45C of H isn't a "normal" condition. Good of corsair to adjust the unit fan profile in newer units (post 10/14 it looks like) as a result of H testing, but its not like I would throw out JonnyGuru's review because of the 40C vs. 45C test.

Seasonic power supplies are rock solid, and they have great customer service if something does go wrong. I've been using seasonics since I started building PC's, never had one die on me, and I've had a few running 24/7 for over a decade.

though [H] reviews are on par with them, something I bet OklahomaWolf would acknowledge

Yep :D

It can clearly be seen by the fact that JonnyGuru's RM850 ambient hot testing only reached 40 C, while [H]OCP ambient tests at 45 C.

I've had units pass 50 C. It depends on the unit being tested, the ambient temp of the room, and how many extra fans I have running in the hot box. Most of the time it has to be a big unit for the box to get that hot.

For the most part though, the area between 40-50 is plenty good enough IMO to see if a PSU is worth it.

I've had units pass 50 C. It depends on the unit being tested, the ambient temp of the room, and how many extra fans I have running in the hot box. Most of the time it has to be a big unit for the box to get that hot.

For the most part though, the area between 40-50 is plenty good enough IMO to see if a PSU is worth it.

My experience is that if you want a PSU which can take any form of punishment (50+ C temperatures, slight overloads) and just laugh it away, you go for good PSUs from Seasonic, Delta (if you can find them) and SuperFlower. Anything else is likely just 'good enough' for an average use case.

Then again, unless you are running a Quad-SLI Titan X system with dual CPUs, OCed to the max and beyond, 50C is a tall order to reach for a PSU, especially with the PSU usually located at the bottom of the case, taking in air directly from the outside.

Now if one is feeding such hot air from that aforementioned OCed system into the PSU... then it'd be important. Or if one simply lives in a 50C apartment, at which point one probably has other issues... :cool:

As for my latest PSU purchase, I just got the Seasonic P-660 after both JG and [H] gushed about its awesomeness :)

Back