Most realistic racing game?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I love racing and flight sims. Problem is that so many racers push the arcade aspect to keep the game-play attractive.
For example, I hate the NeedforSpeed series, except Porsche Unleashed. It wasn't perfect, but it had a realism edge that was rare at the time. I really liked racing the older models as poor suspension and small engine really made you have to work for what you got.
I also was a fan of the MidTown Madness series. With the options set to the most realistic, it was a good racer. I liked the fact that you raced in real cities and could actually learn your way around should you ever want to visit. Real traffic with stop lights and semi realistic physics (for the day) made you not want to arcade smash your way around.
Playing Flight SimX, I feel i am learning to fly. What racing sim game is going to provide this edge I seek? Realism!

Try out the Demo for Race On. Me and my friends play it and it's great fun. Most realistic game I have ever played. You def need a wheel for this game. Graphics are good enough for me. :c)

Granted I have not tried iracing/rfactor which I have a feeling are the most realistic.

I love racing and flight sims. Problem is that so many racers push the arcade aspect to keep the game-play attractive.
For example, I hate the NeedforSpeed series, except Porsche Unleashed. It wasn't perfect, but it had a realism edge that was rare at the time. I really liked racing the older models as poor suspension and small engine really made you have to work for what you got.
I also was a fan of the MidTown Madness series. With the options set to the most realistic, it was a good racer. I liked the fact that you raced in real cities and could actually learn your way around should you ever want to visit. Real traffic with stop lights and semi realistic physics (for the day) made you not want to arcade smash your way around.
Playing Flight SimX, I feel i am learning to fly. What racing sim game is going to provide this edge I seek? Realism!

midtown madness was fun.. but i was more of the arcade smash your way through all the traffic person.. :p and playing online was fun.. trying to launch your car off the hills and seeing how far you could fly..

I have always liked the Gran Turismo series, 3 being my favorite. I really like GRID too.

Live For Speed hands down.

http://www.lfs.net/

You will need a wheel and pedals if you want to play properly, but you can get an idea of it just using the mouse.

This is basically it, for PC anyway.

If you liked NFS Porsche Unleashed, you may like the realism of NFS Shift (came out Sept. 15th). It is not a hardcore sim like Live For Speed, but it is not an arcade racer like most NFS games.

It is a blend of arcade and sim, and there is a good amount of flexibility in how much of each you want in your experience.

Live for Speed is great, but right now I"m going to have to say Forza Motorsport 3

www.iracing.com

I dont even race LFS anymore, even tho they recently released a small patch, the development in this game has been extremely slow lately.. iracing is the pinnacle of PC race sims. But obviously you have to really be into it to pay for it. Well worht it imo.

Well I've never tried iRacing, I have tried Papyrus's (the guys behind iRacing) other games, which most recently was Nascar Racing 2003. Nascar 2003 is still to this day considered the most realistic Nascar game ever made and it sells that way on eBay. I recently sold a copy for almost $100. It's very well saught after and the community still update the drivers with new rosters every year for online racing leagues.

Papyrus is just another company sunk by EA's monopolistic ways.

iracing is a monthly charge, but IMO it is well worth it. After spending time in iracing other sims and games just don't feel right at all. iracing just feels right. As for comparison with real life, I drive a Solstice GXP, and the Solstice in the sim feels remarkably accurate (even if the one in the sim is base model that has almost 100hp less, but the suspension is the same) compared to the real car.

any of the GTR games are very realistic. You can tell a difference between gtr, gtr 2 and now gtr evolution. it's an amazing series of racing sims. in my opinion blows Gran Turismo out of the water.. for a person who wants a "real" sim

There are two promos going for one FREE MONTH. You can only choose one, and they are for only NEW members.

Code1: PR-GPL (Virginia International Raceway track... this promo is most popular and fun)
Code2: PR-NR2003 (For the Nascar fans)

I just preregistered for Real time racing... will be interesting how that goes.. it's done by simbin

I just preregistered for Real time racing... will be interesting how that goes.. it's done by simbin

Put the sim in the bin? just kidding lol... (not really haha)

I could never get into their racing games. I own a couple of them because I do want a lot of good racing games to exist so I try every new one out.

I know simbin games are well received by many. But I never was able to get used to the driving in them.

Another vote for LFS. I would get into iRacing since it seems really good, but I don't have the time to use it alot.

I have to throw in Richard Burns Rally in here. Amazing feeling on some of the stages. Every time I play it I'm on the edge of my seat talking to myself (basically going "aaaahhh tooo fast")

Thanks for all the great input. I will give some of these games a try for sure. What I meant by my MidTown Madness reference was, is there any game out today that brings real cars, real cities, real traffic and lights, in a realistic sim way? I haven't had any time to test these games suggested. Hopefully one of them fits the bill.

I regularly play Live for Speed. I feel that it is the most realistic one out of them all with the g25.

In order of fun and realism I would say:

1. Live for Speed & Gran Turismo (tie if you got a playstation)
2. rFactor
3. GTR2

A proper wheel is a MUST have, to properly enjoy any true racing game. Gamepads just do not work period.

Thanks for all the great input. I will give some of these games a try for sure. What I meant by my MidTown Madness reference was, is there any game out today that brings real cars, real cities, real traffic and lights, in a realistic sim way? I haven't had any time to test these games suggested. Hopefully one of them fits the bill.

It's pretty much arcade, but man great fun. Test Drive Unlimited. Just check out vidoes of it on youtube. Your on a island and there is normal traffic like IRL and you just fly through traffic passing cars... damn I'm about to reinstall it! I heard they are making a new version of it for next year! I can't wait.

I play Flight SimX. I can fly to any airport, in many real planes with real flight characteristics w/real traffic. When is some on going to make Drive Sim X?

Thats funny, I just got done playing forza 3 with a gamepad, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Maybe my system is broken or something? :confused:

But you can't have enjoyed it.. you were using a gamepad ;)

I've played all of my racing games with a gamepad and loved it, sure i might be missing out but i'm not hardcore enough on the racing genre to get a wheel.

Gran Turismo is a great race sim and 1 and 2 for PS1 play great on an emulator on PC (and looks great too!).

Also, Dirt is an excellent racing game. It's a mix between arcade and sim, and really fun.

I love the NFS series, but I got bored from NFS Shift really fast, the same happened with Grid, not to mention arcade games like Dirt and Burnout Paradise.
What I’m still playing online frequently is live for speed specially that I know someone who keeps me up to date with any new mods and extras for the game.
I’m sure I would’ve done the same with rFactor but the original game without modding and tweaking is rabish and I’m too lazy to do that myself.
you can use a keyboard or a gamepad, but it’s nothing like a proper wheel.

anyone who has played will say iracing, hands down, bar none. much as i love it, the pay per X format keeps me away from it.

I give my second place it race07/raceon/stcc/gtrevolution conglomerate of games. for 30$ race07 and raceon is a hell of a deal with TONS of things to keep you busy...especially if you start grabbing custom tracks.

but again, if you want realism and good solid clean competetion nothing will beat iracing right now.

PS - get a wheel before attempting either of these. at least a momo, if not g25/27

Back