Most practical GPU set-up for 1080 with max fps in mind

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
If you were going to be gaming on a single 1920x1080 monitor and were purchasing a new gpu solution tomorrow, what would you guys go with?

My main concerns are max frames per second(image quality, AA etc, is important but not as important as speed) my main gaming is spent in mp fps's. I've been eyeballing 2 670's which will require a psu upgrade and I just realized that 2 7870's would operate with my current psu without having to use adapters. The only thing I'm concerned with here is driver support. Personally I've been more than satisfied with my 6850's other than the occasional hiccup. I haven't used Nvidia in a few years and have never experienced their driver support for sli set-ups.

Anyhow, I hope my rambling gives enough of an idea for you guys to help me decide on something...too OCD/ADD for my own good sometimes.

I'm running an i5 2500k btw...psu is Antec EW 650.

Why would 2x 670's require a PSU upgrade over the 7870's? Both take 2x6 pin. I'm really enjoying my single 670, I haven't tried a game I can't max at 1080p yet.

Why would 2x 670's require a PSU upgrade over the 7870's? Both take 2x6 pin. I'm really enjoying my single 670, I haven't tried a game I can't max at 1080p yet.
I'm not really looking to only "max" games out per se. I set money aside solely for "irresponsible" upgrades. I prefer to have rendered frame speed to spare when I'm playing online multiplayer fps's. Even though I'm going overkill I'm trying to be atleast somewhat practical about it if that makes any sense.

In short, and as an example, I'd prefer to have a set up that can run BF3 with no dips below 60fps with as much eye candy as possible...maybe that will make more sense concerning the purchasing dilema I have.

In other words, if 2 7870's can provide me a minimum of 60 fps with only 2xAA when compared to 2 670's that would allow the same experience but with 4xAA I'm thinkin' I'd rather spend the money saved, on other upgrades (new cpu cooler/more RAM/SSD etc.)

Edit: I thought Newegg showed one of the 7870's as requiring 1-6pin...I could be mistaken.

Anyhow, I hope my rambling gives enough of an idea for you guys to help me decide on something...too OCD/ADD for my own good sometimes.
I think you're in good company. A good amount of people here are probably the same way.

Anywho, 670 seems to be pretty beastly, and it's hard to recommend anything else at this point, although if you have your heart set on SLI/CFX right off the bat, you can always go for the absolute price-performance king, the 480 (snicker XD)

SLI support has been pretty solid, and I'm actually going back to a 560 Ti SLI from my current 7970 because AMD has been a big letdown this gen.

I would get a 670 and be done with it. I tried Xfire, and it didn't work well for me at all. However, I haven't had one issue with my 680 yet.

I haven't had a geforce since my BFG FX5500 and now coming back with my 680 and it feels great coming back. I've had so many radeons i can't recall them all and I had no idea what it was like not fighting drivers for a card to work as intended. My HD6970 was a fantastic card but once I went Xfire my heart broke.

People always raging on CrossfireX drivers... I've run in to zero issues with my dual unlocked 6950s, and I never had any issues with the dual 4890s before them. Had some problems with 8800 GTX Tri-SLI, but adding a third card puts you solidly in "wouldn't it be neat if this works" territory since you're like .001% of their customer-base, so that's no big surprise.

People always raging on CrossfireX drivers... I've run in to zero issues with my dual unlocked 6950s, and I never had any issues with the dual 4890s before them. Had some problems with 8800 GTX Tri-SLI, but adding a third card puts you solidly in "wouldn't it be neat if this works" territory since you're like .001% of their customer-base, so that's no big surprise.
Yeah man, I have had virtually zero problems with my 6850's...I'm sure it's somewhat of an anomaly as to why one person or the other has problems. I actuall had more problems with Nvidia's drivers over the years and was somewhat nervous when I went from 3 succesive generations to AMD.

Perhaps a GTX 680? I have a similar setup and requirement as well as OP and been doing some research on this.

Perhaps a GTX 680? I have a similar setup and requirement as well as OP and been doing some research on this.

I'd get a 670 over the 680 - the 670 performs almost equal to the 680, sots $100 less, and is actually in stock sometimes. I would try to find a custom card version though.

Back