most powerful card i can run on 400w?

You could run a GTX260 or 4850/70 off 400 watts. That is as long as you don't have a bunch of lights and fans on the system.

if that is the psu that you already own, it is not very good

the FSP Saga + can do 23A on the 12V lines

I would suggest low powered cards like the 4770, the 57X0, 9600GT or the eco 9800GT

If you are considering buying that psu, don't. Get something like the Corsair 400CX ($35 after a $15MIR right now, sometimes drops to $30AR). 30A on the 12V line

already bought the system, buying the gpu in a couple weeks

and im not wanting to spend more than $150~ish.. could it run the 5750 without probs?

another question, on the site that i looked up the 5750 benchys on it said $110 was msrp.. on newegg the cheapest is $130 something and xfx(only gpu brand i buy) is $150, is there some other reputable dealer that has cheaper prices?

Last edited:
already bought the system, buying the gpu in a couple weeks

and im not wanting to spend more than $150~ish.. could it run the 5750 without probs?

another question, on the site that i looked up the 5750 benchys on it said $110 was msrp.. on newegg the cheapest is $130 something and xfx(only gpu brand i buy) is $150, is there some other reputable dealer that has cheaper prices?

Probably not. You don't have many amps on the 12 volt rail. I would probably stick with a card that doesn't need external power. If its really that big of a deal to you, spend a little money from your budget on your power supply.

the system it's self shouldnt use that much power.. but i agree 5750/70 is the highest you will want to go with that psu.. take a look at the 4770.. can still find them for pretty cheap and still has pretty close to the same performance as the 5750 but no dx11 support.. not that it would matter with that system..

and no HDD size really doesnt matter on wattage.. they typically use between 15-20w on avg.. you can get a western digital GP drive that uses around 10w on avg but it will be a little slower then a normal drive but are much better for long term data storage..

how many amps would you recommend

//

haha, that surprised me to see a reply right after i posted mine at such a late hour. anyway i think the 4770 is a much better choice, only 8% increase in performance(if you can tell the difference between 50 and 54 fps i'll eat my sock), uses less power, and is cheaper. thanks for the recommendation bud! :) (http://www.ultimatehardware.net/ati/gigabyte_radeon_hd_5750_page3.htm link to benchmark)

thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
Probably not. You don't have many amps on the 12 volt rail. I would probably stick with a card that doesn't need external power. If its really that big of a deal to you, spend a little money from your budget on your power supply.

The PSU is not that bad, it can certainly handle a video card that has a pcie power plug with ease.

If you just bought that PSU, return it and suck up the 15% restocking fee to experience. If you got it for free, use it as a test unit. Either way, go buy something like this Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008 , you'll thank me later.

Honestly, the PSU is the most important part of a computer system, and I always see people skimping on it or ordering the wrong one (an old model, too much wattage, etc.). Get a quality unit that will last for years and you'll save yourself time and money as well as a potentially nasty headache from a blown cheapo unit.

That said, with the current unit, you could do a 5750 fine. However, with that Corsair unit, you could throw a 5870 in it and still be fine (although I wouldn't recommend pairing a 5870 with a 5600+).

i bought this as a budget gaming system, nothing more(so far ive spent $225 without the graphics card), i was extremely pleased with how my 8800gt and e4500 performed before i sold the computer.. jeez you guys act like its a POWmax psu or something, its a $50 FSP psu(the only psu's ive ever used). but once again thx for all the help guys

While not the greatest PSU, some of the guys are are certainly making it worse than it is. It can handle most midrange cards just fine.

$110 is the retail price for the 512MB version of the 5750. since only the 1GB version is available right now, $130 retail is the lowest price you'll find. Well unless you can find some coupon codes, mail in rebates, Bing cashback, etc. to bring the price down further.

Back