Most out of my new Athlon64

tree_

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded from an old P4 1.5 with 512 pc133 SDRam. Everything seems no better, other than games then my old P4. What are good bios settings and all that good stuff to get the best performance out of this processor? Things like loading internet explorer and aim and mIRC still take the same amount of time.. New rig specs in sig:

I've tryed oc'ing some using cool and quite:

corecenter.jpg

But even just 200 mhz over and I get VPU recovery errors when playing BF1942. I hope the proc can OC higher then just 200mhz, but thats all I can push it. But even then it is unstable on games... helppp

You will probably only notice significant improvements in performance in processor intensive applications, such as games. Windows applications and boot times are highly dependant on hard drive performance. Now about your oc'ing...
Try increasing your voltage slightly and see what happens. But what you are probably running into is that your AGP bus is scaling with your FSB; unless you have a motherboard that has a PCI/AGP lock, you will hit a ceiling. A64 oc'ing is highly motherboard dependant. You need to have a MB that allows you to change the multiplier. Since A64's are cool&quiet enabled, the multiplier is unlocked; I don't believe that you older P4 fellas have experienced this.
If my rambling is inaccurate... its probably because I'm drunk. Good luck and welcome to the winning team...

I upgraded to a Athlon 64 3000+ and 1gb DDR400 from my 1.7ghz P4 and 512mb pc133. My computer has not arrived yet, but I'm hoping it will be significantly faster for games. In reality, my old system was fairly quick on the desktop. It's just I was tired of my games running extremly slowly, so I shelled out a little bit of cash. I'll be able to keep my new machine for university also.

In reality, any P4 is faster enough to run Windows XP with relatively no slow downs at all. So it won't get much faster, it might load the OS a bit quicker. Games should be significantly improved. That's about it.

Oh, see, I didn't know loading was apps was all about the hard drive. I'm still using my old 40gig hard drive from my old Gateway until my 80gig SATA 8mb buffer arrives.

A raptor would be a good investment if you're worried about load times. Those things spin at 10k RPM, that's like around 39% faster than a conventional SATA or ATA100/133 drive. But they are expensive, create a lot of heat, and are relatively loud.

Mojo said:
A raptor would be a good investment if you're worried about load times. Those things spin at 10k RPM, that's like around 39% faster than a conventional SATA or ATA100/133 drive. But they are expensive, create a lot of heat, and are relatively loud.

How loud are they ? Are they quiet like the velociraptors from jurrasic Park or are they loud like my schools centrino laptops ?

On Western Digital's site, it says they run at 32 dBa when idle and 36 dBa when seeking. That's for both the 36gb and 74gb models.
30 dBa is the equivalent of a whisper. But the decibel scale is logarithmic, so 40 dBa is ten times louder than 30 dBa.

200$ for a under 40 gigs is a no no for my poor self. I still need a car and insurance soon. And workin at winn - dixie doesn't help lolz :(

You got a MSI K8T mobo, which, I think, doesn't have a PCI/AGP lock, so that could explain the VPU recovery stuff, although I'm not 100% on that so don't take my word for it

Yeah I think thats the problem. Is there anyway to lock it?

Back