• Final Fantasy

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Warhammer

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters
Skyrim is even more milked than the rx480 and 7970 lol
Skyrim is an example of a specific title that's been milked to death more than it is a specific franchise. That's a different kind of milking that's more in line with GTA V. A single game released and re-released over a period of many years is far different than a series of games or games that are part of a specific franchise.

Skyrim is probably the most milked single title of all time. However, Star Wars might be the most milked franchise of all time. Both in games, movies, TV shows, and merchandising. This article contains a list of games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games

From the list, I have to go with Warhammer, if for nothing else the expensive toy armies they make their fans buy.

Among video games, Madden or FIFA.
Madden or FIFA get my vote. They update the rosters yearly and then attach their milkers to the wallets of the ultimate team players and watch the profits flow in.

Skyrim is an example of a specific title that's been milked to death more than it is a specific franchise. That's a different kind of milking that's more in line with GTA V. A single game released and re-released over a period of many years is far different than a series of games or games that are part of a specific franchise.

Skyrim is probably the most milked single title of all time. However, Star Wars might be the most milked franchise of all time. Both in games, movies, TV shows, and merchandising. This article contains a list of games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games
There are multiple versions of it which are different, so could also argue it's basically it's own franchise of one game at this point. But I get what you mean (and you're more correct) and I was pretty tired when writing that post!
Star Wars is a good call though, between games, toys, movies, books, theme parks etc I think you're on a winner. Harry Potter is also quite milked but retained quality and canon better in most cases IMO.

I don't think HL3 would be nearly as big as people here think it would. Half-Life 2 came out almost 18 years ago. HL1 and 2 were a huge deal to us because most of us are old here and played them while they were new. Half-Life 1 and 2 is older than a lot of gamers are now days, and a lot of them have probably havne't even played a Half-Life game.

I brought this up a few years ago. I think it is true now more than ever. I am not saying it won't sell well, because it will. Any Half Life game that isn't notably bad will sell well, because of how well Valve is known. And the nostalgia is very high for it. But I don't think it will compete with something like Fornite, Borderlands, or even the Dark Souls & spin offs in terms of popularity.

Half-Life Alyx came out in 2020 and only sold an estimated 2 million copies. Yeah it's VR only and it did sell some VR headsets, but that's still not very good considering it's a new Half-Life game. Where is the hype?

I think that largely has to do with it being VR. Few people have VR. Few people want to strap on VR for a full gaming session. Few want to spend the $500+ on it.

If Valve did make a Half-Life 3 as a normal (non-VR) PC game it could not live up the 18 years of expectations.

Exactly. But I still think it an sell well. The Metro series is an example. None of those games were that ground breaking, but still fun and sold well.

There isn't really anything revolutionary a flat PC game could do to live up to the Half-Life name.

I disagree. Revolutionary AI and NPC design could certainly catch the attention of people. And while not revolutionary, a big leap in physics, reaction and destruction (realistically, not like past games) could help make a Half Life (or any game) more noteworthy.

Getting back more on topic, it seems like Call of Duty won't be an annual release anymore.

Anyone mention Sonic the Hedgehog? Felt like Sega was constantly throwing out new entries in that series for awhile there in an attempt to recapture the old magic.

If they had had something going when Ray Tracing came on the scene, it could have followed in 1 & 2's footsteps.
I think there is still time for that, hardware is still somewhat lacking to get a good ray tracing experiece, if they have a decent story and some other goodies like improved AI it could be pretty succesfull.

just some quick stats to help this along, feel free to verify...

Mario: 115+ games (I mean, just take a stroll: https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_games)
Megaman: 100+ games
Sonic: 80+ games
Final Fantasy: 75+ games
Pokemon: 55+ games
Dragon Quest: 40+ games
Castlevania: 35+ games
Resident Evil: 30+ games
Donkey Kong: 30+ games
Zelda: 28+ games
Assassin's Creed: 24+ games?
COD: 19+ games?
Warhammer: not sure, couldn't find right away in a google search

now, of course, lots of games doesn't necessarily mean "milked"...

Specially in Mario case where he is often an avatar irrelevant to the game itself (think Mario Kart, Donkey Kong or Super Smash Bros) when not just a cameo in them. The character is quite milked, but I am not sure if all those game a case of milking a game franchise.

Street Fighter. Numerous times throughout its history, they have released small changes----as an entire new game. Or in modern times with DLC----priced it effectively as if it were a new game.

Fortnite is trying to be the most Nerfed game whenever I go past the Nerf section in Toys a new gun comes out.

Attachments

• 7dddfe5d-0c5f-48d4-a905-8812543cda04.9752454f0db24ee525219f47089fedea.jpeg
    7dddfe5d-0c5f-48d4-a905-8812543cda04.9752454f0db24ee525219f47089fedea.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
just some quick stats to help this along, feel free to verify...

Mario: 115+ games (I mean, just take a stroll: https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_games)
Megaman: 100+ games
Sonic: 80+ games
Final Fantasy: 75+ games
Pokemon: 55+ games
Dragon Quest: 40+ games
Castlevania: 35+ games
Resident Evil: 30+ games
Donkey Kong: 30+ games
Zelda: 28+ games
Assassin's Creed: 24+ games?
COD: 19+ games?
Warhammer: not sure, couldn't find right away in a google search

now, of course, lots of games doesn't necessarily mean "milked"...
And consider that Donkey Kong (formally known as Jump Man) are tightly woven into the Mario series, that number could be combined as a realistic entity.

Back