Most Memorable Moment In Gaming For You

The last battle against mother brain in Phantasy Star 2...still gives me goosebumps to this day.

The last battle against mother brain in Phantasy Star 2...still gives me goosebumps to this day.

this gives me nightmares after hours finding her ass I start the fight and electricity went out and when it came back on 2 days later data on the game cleared had to start from scratch think I cried and I know there are still little knuckle marks on the wall.

The end of FF8 - I was about to go hunt down the devs.

I laughed at the end of HL2 Ep2... :(

Original Tomb Raider on the PC, playing on my bad arse p200 w/64m of ram and an S3 virge or whatever card. The T. Rex part is still just an awesome memory to this day.

For me it would have to be when Sephiroth killed Aeris in Final Fantasy 7. Almost brought me to tears.

The first time my friends and I were able to get a network deathmatch game actually working in Doom. It was astounding: we were traveling the same terrain and seeing the same sights of different computers. It wasn't just one player any longer ... it was multiplayer. Totally new and it kicked like nine different kinds of ass.

After that heady discovery, I spent almost every weekend for a year and a half on Doom LAN parties at my buddy Tony's apartment. Go over straight after work on Friday, eat something, then Doom until you dropped from exhaustion at 4 or 5 am. Sleep till noon, eat lunch, then start Dooming again until 3 or 4 am (with a break for dinner). Eat lunch on Sunday, Doom, eat dinner, then Doom until 10 or 11pm. Then go home and sleep, get up Monday, work all week and do it all again next weekend.

Repeat like seventy-five times in a row. Incredibly intense, exciting days back then, man. :D

doom.jpg

The first time I played Half-Life over a friends house going through the tram scene up to the end of office complex. I was AMAZED!!! When he told me it was a first person shooter, I expected it to be like doom (which I liked)... but it was totally different. It was one of the first times I was truly blown away by a game. I was also amazed by the hl2 leak, but was much less impressed by the final build of the game. By the time it actually came out the fancy graphics and physics had been done before, and overall it just lost a certain edge it once had.

MegaMan 2, getting to the 1st Wily stage was pretty memorable too. I was extremely young, probably about 5 years old. It took me forever to finally beat all the main bosses, and I thought that would be the end of the game, but then another stage!? The music got me so pumped but I ended up wasting all my lives on the dragon. It was still very memorable though.

Playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater the first time was very memorable too. I tried a demo at EB Games and was instantaneously hooked.

Watching Zelda OOT being played was awe inspiring as well. I went over a friend's house who rented it. His older brother played until he got to the forest temple, I watched contently the entire day.

I have no idea why, but the entire game of uni-racers is very memorable for me. The graphics were beyond its age and the music was awesome. Pretty trippy as well.

Man I just had so many gaming memories, I've spent longer than I thought gaming. The magic of them has kind of disappeared though.

That is actually exactly how I played Halo with my three other friends. For a year and a half we would constantly ask the question,"So, halo?" "Yea!" And then my friend Geoff would constantly want to team with Matt in 2v2, leaving me with Sith who everyone thought of as the worst player of us all...and we'd always win the first match every time. Never understood why Geoff was so certain of "his" and Matt's(could do more than gloat about the occasional sniper kill Geoff made) skill. :)

I've thought about it...and difinitively. Doom Episode 2 Map 2? Knee Deep in the Dead is my most memorable one. It was a map where you just enter onto the moons surface and there are jagged rows of rock that you have to navigate like a maze and demons are coming out of the walls all over. Particularly, remembering the skyline was so...evil red.

Defeating Soulja in TEN's AMD PGL season 1 live finals in Seattle for the Red Alert final.

And then qualifying for PGL's season 3 or 4 live finals in NYC for Starcraft without ever practicing for it.

Both felt immeasurably great. The second was also very surprising for me.

WHAT!!?!?! there were ra2 tournaments?!?! WHERE THE HELL WAS I WHEN THIS HAPPNED!!

I was the best ra2 player I have ever met, I was always top 10 but never got first place just because I had to work and couldnt play as many games as all thoose kids.

My most memorable moment was either me 2v1'ing a top 20 clan after my m8 dropped, my brother and I seriously laughed our asses off for an hour atleast, I went straight to USA command and bitched their clan out soo much that they disbanded and remade their names.

The other would have to be watching my brother tottaly destroy "W0RKER" in under 5 mins, this was awesome because he was first place for quite a few months and I was always better than my brother so it felt good inside lol. The worst part about it was the only reason W0RKER was number 1 was because he recon error'd everytime he was about to loose and everyone knew about it, We bitched him out in USA command and he eventually decided to gvie my brother the win, well they got in game and W0RKER was indeed a skilled player my brother let his guard down since he thought W0RKER would live up to his word and give him a free win but the son of a bitch ended up beating him......He was such a fag now that I think about it, If he reconned people constantly that meant he also maphacked, So he wasnt the best player in the world just had too much free time, and was a cheating bastard.

Just being a part of HOW was freaking amazing, we were number 1 for 3 or 4 months if I remember correctly.

Playing through Metal Gear Solid as the first game I decided to try and pay attention to the story before hand (instead of just running around skipping everything I could lol). Man what a great game to make that choice about. Not to mention it was the first truly cinematic gaming experience I can remember.

Discovering that computers could play games too! Upon finally receiving one for x-mas one year, I spent countless hours in Electronics Boutique searching through hundreds and hundreds of titles and randomly choosing such great classics like Planescape: Torment, C&C Worldwide Warfare, and Quake 2.

Going to my best friend's house after school to play Goldeneye was a blast. He always kicked the crap outta me and I always thought he was cheating somehow lol. Then one day he finally said, "Aim for the head!". The rest is history lol.

Entering the "cave" in Crysis and starting to float and then seeing these organic creatures start shooting at me and then disappear out of sight before I could say "WTF was that?!".

The plot twist in the first KOTOR. Discovering that you yourself was the enemy you were seeking to destroy was marvelous. This was also the first video game I experienced surround sound in. :p

Experiencing the fluid, streamlined action and intense fun Call of Duty 4 achieved.

Piloting Mechs in Mechwarrior 3 as the first game I ever played online through Gamespy Arcade.

Discovering the existence of The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. This game consumed about a year and a half of my high school career. My days were spent at school, practicing and playing baseball with the school team, and going home and playing Morrowind.

Loading up Doom 3 for the first time and playing to only about 30 minutes into the game and quitting, indefinitely. This game being the single scariest moment of my life, no joke.

Starting Team <|USA|> CSS clan, recruiting new members in the most ridiculous scenarios running a server with Source SDK from the same PC I played in the server on. We joined several leagues starting each with undefeated records (like 3-0 I think), then I moved and lost internet for awhile and the team fell apart losing every match following. Then having to disband the team to keep everybody from ripping each other's throats out (over the internet lol). Many other great memories involving the community in CSS come to mind as well.

Seeing Halo for the first time being the first game I saw pixel shaders in effect and being like "WOW THIS IS SO REAL!".

That's it for now. :cool:

Playing Civilization, when at the end of the game, I'm swatting off guys in chariots using my tanks. While flying a stratofortress bomber to another city, I happen upon a militia. (The first and lowest skilled unit in the game, basically farmers with pitchforks.) So, I attack it... and lose. WTF? Super spearman must have tossed a bolt 2 miles into the air and hit the engines.

Well, that and the endless stalemates I'd get into with Russia. The computer and I would fight for centuries using Chariots, then cannons, then tanks, then planes and marines flip flopping two towns between ourselves.

Oh, also the first MMORPG I played being Lineage 2. Witnessing the first castle siege and then later partaking in one myself. Standing on the frontlines waiting for the clock to countdown to siege time watching insanely high level archers and mages prepare themselves in the catwalks high in the castle. Then storming through the front doors (watching hundreds of players drop dead like flies) with probably 6 other clans and watching the leader of mine (Foots from Masters of Time on Sieghardt) claim the throne for us. Now that was epic.

What's not so epic was the amount of time and money wasted "killing mobs and buying new gear". Note that I have not played a single other MMORPG to this day, save Guild Wars (free!!!!) lol.

Oh, Silent Hill. I got the school and just couldn't continue...babies with butcher knives just overwhelmed my fear factor.

Mine would probably be in the N64 days seeing the 3d graphics of goldeneye 007, the legend of zelda: ocarina of time and super mario 64 for the first time on my cousins N64.

Everquest - My guild beating the Coirnav event in Plane of Water after countless wipes and finally gaining access to Plane of Time.....

yeah I know kinda sad but it was a huge rush

For a single moment.. I'd say when those damn dogs jumped through the window at the beginning of Resident Evil 1, I nearly shat my pants.

On a side note.. the entire Max Payne 1 game was pure bliss for me, very well done and if you haven't played it, treat yourself.

I have a few:

Gold Chocobo in FF7
Beating guantlet legends (N64) for the first time
Super Smash Brothers N64
The time my mom cut my diablo disk in half when i was 12.
Downing Kael'thas
Downing Illidan
Defeating Forza 1
On CS 1.5 with the auto shotty killing 7/8 people on the other team when i was the only one left.

I was playing COD4 on PS3 online. It was sabotage and the map was ambush. I just got to a decent sniping spot and saw two guys at their spawn pts which was like across the map. I attempted the "g-shot" technique found on youtube with my m40a3 sniper rifle and got a double kill since they both lined up running towards my direction. one was a headshot and other was a normal shot kill. from then on, my endless attempts at no scoping began x]

I used to play Virtua Tennis for hours with my best friend. He could literally never beat me. My winning streak was probably near 100. Finally, one day, he was up 5-2 in the final set with triple match point...my shot was headed out of bounds...and he accidentally returned it! I ended up winning the point and then staved off the next two match points to get to deuce. We went to the seventh deuce, with me fighting off five more match points before eventually winning the game. I then proceeded to win the next four games in a row to take the match.

When I hit the final winner, he broke his joystick in half, threw it on the floor, and stormed out of the room. We never, ever played Virtua Tennis again :)

The first time my friends and I were able to get a network deathmatch game actually working in Doom. It was astounding: we were traveling the same terrain and seeing the same sights of different computers. It wasn't just one player any longer ... it was multiplayer. Totally new and it kicked like nine different kinds of ass.

After that heady discovery, I spent almost every weekend for a year and a half on Doom LAN parties at my buddy Tony's apartment. Go over straight after work on Friday, eat something, then Doom until you dropped from exhaustion at 4 or 5 am. Sleep till noon, eat lunch, then start Dooming again until 3 or 4 am (with a break for dinner). Eat lunch on Sunday, Doom, eat dinner, then Doom until 10 or 11pm. Then go home and sleep, get up Monday, work all week and do it all again next weekend.

Repeat like seventy-five times in a row. Incredibly intense, exciting days back then, man. :D

Those were fun times no doubt! Playing DM on Doom was some of my favorite times as well.

There was one time I remember being in I think it was CompUSA with my older brother. They had these computers set up in the back, and it had some arena type FPS. So we started playing and killing some dudes and dying. He would say "I just killed some guy" and I'd be like "man I just died."

Then some associate comes over and says "you know you guys are playing each other right?"

We were like "get the fuck out"

Oh yeah, that game is way up there in memorable moments. Nei being killed and traveling around space.

EverQuest has a bunch for me. Progressively going through dungeons with my friends, always trying harder ones. Not to mention helping my guilds getting our "firsts" for raid mobs. NTOV was an afternoon affair for my one guild and we got try all those mobs for the first time. Avatar of War comes to mind too, was quite the rush. THO with 20 peeps comes to mind for some reason, that was a fun raid. So many good times, lol.

One that sticks out firmly in my head is a scene in Half Life 2 just after you get done fighting off the stilt walkers and the flying ships , you look around and all the npc's are dead or dying , or holding each other and you hear this eary piano music with the horns , at that moment I thought to myself "This is the greatest game ever created" which at the time it quite possibly was as far as atmosphere and a since of helplessness.

Also the time I beat Zelda II the adventures of Link, the battle at the end where you fought your shadow was EPIC!.

I know Ill get flamed for this, but in addition to my previous ones, I had overlooked my recent one.

I'd have to say the 1st bit of Crysis was one of the most memorable for me. Its a cliche scene by now, but the 'Sunrise' scene did and still does, give me shivers down my spine...Coming over the hill to see the sun through the palms with the beach in the distance and that subtle breeze...

^ na man why should'nt you get flamed, it was a memorable moment for sure, I also like the part of the "awakening" level when the shockwave overtakes you in the forest , that part made me say "wow".

I've actually thought about this:

Having some epic pokebattle in like 4th grade with some rich kid's gameboy color network cable. We had three grades from the morning care program surrounding us, I got my shit rocked.

In metal gear solid, when that one dude would play mind games with you. I think the best might have been when he telepathically moved the controller.

I have a bunch of memories playing red alert 2 on dial up with my friend from down the street. We would allie against two hard computers, soemtimes against humans. I'd tie up both phone lines, the internet and talking to him on the house phone.

I read someone mention halo 2 above. That was really a great experience and I'm sorry to see it have died off. It was more of an interactive chat room most of the time rather than a game. I think I might have spent more time hanging out than actually killing people.

Playing battlefield 2 demo for the first few weeks was probably the coolest experience I had that whole year.

Staying up late hoping to get my COD4 demo key online.

And what I'm most regretting leaving now is battlefield 2142. I was on this competitive team, like 7th in this ladder. We had some crazy rivalries, these epic comebacks and just this awsome feeling when you win a match by maybe 1 ticket. If you've ever played bf you might know what i mean.

Two stand out for me:

My first tournament at a LAN party was Command and Conquer: Generals. The prize was a 9800 Pro (I think). I made it to the final round where it was 1 vs 1, USA vs USA. I had watched an earlier recorded match that my opponent had won where he picked up a bulldozer and dropped it off near the enemies base and built a missile turret very early in the game but I was so excited to have made it that far that I forgot about it and he pulled it off on me. The difference this time is that I started flooding rocket troops out and was able to take the turret down but at that point I was way behind the curve. I spent the entire game just barely surviving wave after wave of attacks. At one point I was just barely able to train a Colonel Burton before succumbing to another wave of attacks. Every chance I got I sent Colonel Burton to another building within his base and demo'd it. My opponent was concentrating so much on my base that he never knew I was in his. I survived another attack and he suddenly quit. I was shaking and sweaty from working so feverishly to track the battle. When I saw him quit I just jumped up and hollered. He came over and told me that he went back to his base to build and realized he didn't have a base left. He never realized I was in there until it was too late. I never realized how much of a workout an RTS could be until that match.

The other time happened while playing Doom in the library at Colorado Technical University in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The game had been installed by some proctors that had shown me how to run it. The game install was a secret that only a few knew about. I was playing with another guy who I had just met. It was his first time playing and we were playing a coop game. We were in a dark maze like section of the match and it had been fairly quiet for awhile. I wasn't with him in the game at the time but I gather he rounded a corner and ran into the feet of a cyber demon. All I heard was the roar of the demon in the game and the matching real life scream from my team mate. I had to quiet him down because the librarian was staring at us. He quit playing afterwards, saying something about not being able to handle games like that. :D

There're so many, but the most memorable moment I had was finishing Starfox on Super Nintendo. The pilots had "voices," which were just random noises that were supposed to be alien languages, but when I killed the final boss, the fighters flew up together, and then they started talking to each other, I had never seen anything cooler.

Memorable Moments - Modern Day - that have yet to be discussed:

The ending to Mafia.

and in No One Lives Forever: 2, when you are riding the tricycle chasing down the evil Mime.

Playing Cybercon III until it was light in the morning and escaping from the complex. Probably the most immersive game I've ever played. I wish there would be a 21st century update.

+1 for doom.

A friend of mine gave me a beta copy of doom early '93 (before its release) on a floppy.

I was in awe after playing it for the first time on the brand new family PC (486 DX 33)

Back