Most laptop bang for my 1 grand of buck ??

Brothernod

Limp Gawd
My priorities for a laptop were initially size, then batterlife, then speed then price. Then I realized I'm a poor college student.

So now it's price, performance, battery life, size.

I need suggestions cause i'm seriously considering impulse buying a 1000 - 1100 laptop. Speed is important, graphics are not important at all. Ideally I want 512 of ram but I'll deal with 256 as that's an easy upgrade later. I would like a reasonable battery life but I know that doesn't come with cheap laptops.

I wish I could afford the IBM t42 that has caught my fancy, but anyway, any suggestions? This splurge was inspired by the fact that I found i could configure a A64 compaq for 1k with 512 of ram and an a64.

im at work atm, but i know a guy from 3si.org who sells electronics cheap... i got a compaq persario for 800 bucks shipped to my house...

its a p4 2.6
512 ram
64 radeon video card
60 gig hd
811.12 or something wireless network
15 inch screen

windows xp w/ tons of other software and everything was brand new...

im loving it so far.. but when i get home ill get his aim for ya..

If you are willing to go a bit over budget check out this student discount it dosent matter if you dont go there. It worked just fine for me. IBMs are not exactly the most machine for your money, but the quality is outstanding.

That's very interesting... now I'm pissed that we paid $1100 for my brother's computer when I could have gotten him a T42 for about the same price.

The T42 was actually the ideal laptop I wanted if I could afford it, but it's like 2 grand configured, can't be close to $1100. if you have a specific config that brought it close to that share please.

::edit::

Something doesn't seem right, is that the student discount and prices for all college students or just ones in ohio or at that (what seems to be ) school ??

it is for people that go to that school. but they do not verify that in any way that i can see. Didnt ask for student ID #, or anything and I did order from there. Ihavent got my stuff yet, it is set to ship in like a month.

do you live in Ohio? and what specs did ya pic? I wish I could get it without an OS or Ram but I'm seriously considering the T42 14.1 SXGA 1.7 with all minimum options (except the high capacity battery) and grabbing another ram stick from newegg. Oh yeah, I added a 3 year warranty instead of the default 1 so the cost is like between 1500 and 1600. more expensive but it would be what I actually wanted.

I do not live in or near Ohio.

I got the T42 15"
128 Fire GL
gig o' ram
60 gig HD
dvd burner
1.8Ghz Pentium M
XP P
diskette drive
and the 3 year warrenty

all for under 2800 shiped.

PLEASE oh please let me know if they actually ship or if they say somethign to you about your school status. as in keep me up to date

Thanks.
Great Find.

I recived my order confermation, and would assume that it would be some what obligating, or posably leagly binding for them to follow through on te deal.

I realy doubt that IBM cares that if fiew people are using a discount that isnt theirs. They still made money off of me, and thats money that I would have spend elsewhere If I hadnt found that deal for IBM

Worst case senario, they dont send it, and I will have to order one at regular price. But its not like they can charge me for something I dont recive.

It just came yesterday. It's great. No problems with the discount stuff. I would post pics, but I think that everyone allready knows what a T42 looks like.

They also have 700 bucks for a T42 without ram or a dvd rom. Throw in 100 bucks for the ram, like 80 for a mini-pci card (or less for just a pcmcia), and i'm not sure how much their dvd-roms are but it cant be more than 100. So thats around 1k for a nicely equiped T42.

EDIT: nevermind. it appears that you can't just buy the barebones one, you actually have to add the stuff through ibm and the price goes up a bit :(

believe you me I tried that.

My order is backordered. I got the 1.7 Dothan 14.1 SXGA with hi cell battery and 3 year warranty. minimum everything else, shit was 1500 or 1600 then $100 for tax and $50 for shipping :/

Definitely more than I can afford, but everything I wanted. I'll find the money somehow haha. Looks like I got some time.

I was considering buying a couple and selling them on eBay to help ease the cost, but I don't know it doesn't look to be a guaranteed profit.

Back