Most Insane amount of gaming power in 1 build. $30,000

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
It's not that exciting, and I don't see the real world application. Why would I want to run 7 games on a single computer concurrently?

Chinese Gold Farmer!

Except you could possibly build 20-25 beefy machines with their own monitors for $30,000. Realistically, graphic fidelity doesn't mattter and could probably get away with 35-38 machines.

It's not that exciting, and I don't see the real world application. Why would I want to run 7 games on a single computer concurrently?
Upstairs, you and your buddy from college are playing some FPS or another. He's on your 42" TV with an Xbone controller. You're playing on a Chromebook with a KB/M attached. Your kids are in their rooms, playing a three-way deathmatch in Crysis 3. Downstairs, your wife is playing The Sims 3, away from all the madness. The doorbell rings. It's your D&D group. Tonight's session was cancelled, so they decided to drop by. You toss them each a controller, and the game is on!

It's a LAN party in a box. The biggest issue I see is room for all the monitors. You want everyone to be in the same room, but I can't think of a room in most houses that has more than three display devices. Laptops are a great solution to this, but... Maybe there's a tablet out there that you could toss Steam on, connect a controller to, and stream from the gaming rig?

Upstairs, you and your buddy from college are playing some FPS or another. He's on your 42" TV with an Xbone controller. You're playing on a Chromebook with a KB/M attached. Your kids are in their rooms, playing a three-way deathmatch in Crysis 3. Downstairs, your wife is playing The Sims 3, away from all the madness. The doorbell rings. It's your D&D group. Tonight's session was cancelled, so they decided to drop by. You toss them each a controller, and the game is on!

It's a LAN party in a box. The biggest issue I see is room for all the monitors. You want everyone to be in the same room, but I can't think of a room in most houses that has more than three display devices. Laptops are a great solution to this, but... Maybe there's a tablet out there that you could toss Steam on, connect a controller to, and stream from the gaming rig?

So keep a 30.000 rig in case it's potentially used once a year. I haven't had a lan party in eleven years, online ruined multi gaming.

If any serious gaming is considered everyone would want to use their own computer. As for the family, how many good gaming rigs can be built from 30.000? I can even put them in HTPC cases easy. Instead of this gigantic box that needs to be connected to every room in the house. While a separate computer just logs in to the wifi.

As far as dream setups go I'd prefer 7 cpus 1 gamer.

Then you wake up and realise you haven't played local multiplayer in years.

Then you wake up and realise you haven't played local multiplayer in years.
I play local multiplayer weekly. Granted, it's console, but the couch buddy system isn't dead yet.

So keep a 30.000 rig in case it's potentially used once a year.
I'll agree with you there. This is an overkill build. But how about adding an extra graphics card to your existing gaming rig, and playing an online-only multiplayer game with your wife on the same couch?

Not really worth arguing if a $30,000 gaming computer is worth it. We know it isn't. This was a sponsored build by Kingston to be shown at CES. It was built for that purpose to show off their brand.

Not really worth arguing if a $30,000 gaming computer is worth it. We know it isn't. This was a sponsored build by Kingston to be shown at CES. It was built for that purpose to show off their brand.

Yeah, it's more of a "Could it be done?" sort of thing. It's a rather impressive build even if it's utterly impractical. Their 2 gamers on one box build is something that's rather more practical.

They did this because they could, which I think is cool. Mind you, I am sure it was all donated and I wish I could have done that myself, it looks like fun. 256GB of ram for the win!

Insane amount of power in one machine? Yes.

Practical? Absolutely not.

My PC cost a tenth that amount and I'm sure I get more enjoyment out of it than anyone would out of this machine. Meaning for the same amount of money you could build 10 examples of my PC for 10 people to play on. This still includes the monitor and peripherals.
That's hot. I would love to have one of those :D.

Last edited:
I was more impressed on the build then the actual practicality..
8 water cooled GPU's & 256GB on a single board? I never seen anything even close to that before.
2 pumps, 2 big ass Radiators. I'm curious to know the temps when fully loaded, but he did say there were some errors reading temperatures and stuff, which I get.

But yea without a doubt its cheaper and more practical to build 7 separate rigs.

I belive folders/BOINC users/coin miners runned this many cards in single rig already much earlier.

There are players in some games who multi-box and run "one-man" raids.

I would be far more impressed with seeing results of it using all gpus in CF. Like surround 4k gaming or something i could actually have fun with:D

it's a proof of concept to see if it can be done, and they did it and it works, and is being displayed at CES at the Kingston booth.

I would be far more impressed with seeing results of it using all gpus in CF. Like surround 4k gaming or something i could actually have fun with:D

Unfortunately crossfire and SLI max out at four cards. Decent scaling stops at two cards or even one in some cases.

I would have gone Fury X or 980ti. Really I would have done separate PCs.

I'm still hooked on supercooling a great CPU and one great GPU 24/7 than this nonsense.

Unfortunately crossfire and SLI max out at four cards. Decent scaling stops at two cards or even one in some cases.

I'm still hooked on supercooling a great CPU and one great GPU 24/7 than this nonsense.

Fury cards actually scale quite well all the way to 4 cards*...Is it perfect linear scaling? Of course not. But they scale way better in 4X then Nvidia does even at 3X..

*Assuming the game has decent mGPU support in the first place:rolleyes:...

Who cares.

Dragster's aren't practical either. If no one pushed the limits, no one would know what the limits actually were.

o6qgj5bjgpvjwwrpcfi9.jpg

Like 2 cpus and 256GB ram is pushing limits. This junk was designed to be plugged together easily.

lol, pretty much. The waterblock setup for the 7 video cards is kinda cool, but yeah other than that it's just a bunch of computer hardware hooked up inside 1 case, which is exactly how it's designed to work. Hell, almost a third of the cost is simply the 7 monitors they decided to connect to it. If they wanted to, they could have used more expensive displays and called it a $35,000 system.

Does Linus get to keep this system after all is said and done? If so, he's got a nice thing going.

Yeah its just proof of what can be done. Like others have said not really practical for real world use.

I swear that these comments make me think this isn't [H].

What happened to enjoying opulent nonsensical builds because they're fun?

Last edited:
Does Linus get to keep this system after all is said and done? If so, he's got a nice thing going.

I highly doubt it if they are review units he used in this build. that or he pulled them off the shelf from his store inventory and might sell them as open box.

I swear that these comments make this think this isn't [H].

This. That is really what this forum is supposed to be about, pushing shit beyond normal or hell even logical limits.

Dayaks people like you should stop spreading misinformation sli/cfx scaling depends on resolutuion the highier your resolution the better the scaling. there was a 7680X1400p and there was a perfect quad sli scaling , 12k eyefinity perfect scaling.

Maybe because the cards used were Radeons. Usually that alone triggers the need to bitch and whine for some people.

Yeah I feel like the [H] forums have gone generic with less and less technical discussions. This is why I spend way more time over at OCN since you can still find good technical discussions without much of the fanboi bullshit if you know where to look and which subforums to avoid.

Back