Most improved feature in Windows 7 – Desktop Search

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
To me the killer feature of Vista was desktop search. It worked ok but it just seemed to have too many quirks. This is one feature that I’ve been testing extensively and to be honest in 7 it’s beyond excellent. It’s fast, it’s thorough, it doesn’t slow anything down while the computer (even my netbook) is in use and it even searches handwriting and text in images in OneNote.

Nothing new but its just so much better in 7.:)

I dunno, I think one of the best improvements from Vista --> 7 is the noticeably better performance all-around. Then again, I don't use the desktop search feature. Maybe I should. :)

You're talking about searching for files/shortcuts through the box at the bottom of the start menu, no? If so then I agree that in my limited experience with it, it's better than Vista's which seemed to take forever. But I use Everything for lightning-quick file searches and Keybreeze for its excellent versatility to launch programs...really never bothered with Windows Search much. Tried Copernic Desktop Search for a while at work and I like its ability to search file contents but I didn't use that feature enough to justify the resource usage.

I still have this occasionally on both my desktop and laptop. Desktop search will occasionally freeze Windows Explorer, even when searching for something drop-dead obvious (like Calculator). It will also occasionally have issues finding something depending on what I type. Today, I typed "rel" (goal: Reliability Monitor) and I found what I was looking for instantly. Today, I also typed "reliab" with the same goal. I waited 5 seconds while it searched, deleted "iab" and it came up immediately.

Other than that little quirk, I agree--7's desktop search is awesome.

Start-Search from Vista -> 7 seems unchanged to me and I use it all the time. I haven't really noticed any great improvements except for being able to use Windows Explorer for basically everything now: libraries really stand out to me. Plus no folder view forget bug. Otherwise, basically just upgraded because it's new.

Performance is equal on my system for gaming benchmarks. 7 isn't producing any better results than Vista did. Start up/shut down is very similar as well.

Come out of standby on my laptop is a HUGE difference with 7.... almost instant, whereas Vista took what seemed like forever.

One small improvement I appreciate in InstantSearch is the Library integration. If I type "bird" into the Start Menu four groups appear with files (Backgrounds [my wallpaper library], Music, Pictures, and Files) in an arrange similar to below:

Backgrounds (11) ---
Free bird.jpg
Light Bird, blue.jpg
Light Bird, green.jpg

Music (14) ---
09 - And your bird can sing.mp3
etc...

If I click on the group header (Backgrounds, Music...) it opens a Windows Desktop Search window into the appropriate library. Good stuff.

---

The shell probably wins Most Improved in my opinion. The Taskbar and Start Menu have changed dramatically for the better. Explorer hasn't changed quite as much but some of the subtly changes like moving View button to the right of the window, the Preview pane button, removing toolbar icons, Libraries, and the Control Panel I give a thumb up to. The "New folder" button and it's accompanying shortcut, CTRL+SHFT+N are very welcome, too.

Back