Most Fragmented Hard Drive EVER!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although this picture was sent to us by Dennis G., a long time reader and friend of the [H], I want to make it perfectly clear this is NOT his computer. I can honestly say that I have never seen a drive this fragmented...ever. :eek:

That's impressive...and might even be tough to do on purpose.

I've actually seen slightly worse: some old XP machines that never got a clean reinstall during their lifetime (up till last year when the owner(s) finally replaced them with Windows 7 boxen) and I swear, I had to look long and hard to find anything but red... at least in that pic you seem some slivers of blue and green in there. :D

I thought thats how windows XP rolled? Anyway, when you install a operating system from this decade (there isn't any :p but one closer to being from this decade, or well into the last) then all the system files can be nice and neat.

I've seen worse as well.... ALL red with less than 3MB free left on the hard drive.

The only way that drive could be fragmented anymore would be for it to literally be fragmented into many small pieces with high explosives.

Exactly. I wouldn't even try to defrag that. Just reinstall.

I've had a few that were close to that bad and owner ( friend) didn't want to loose anything. Defraged over and over for 2 solid days. if i remember correctly the 1st pass ran almost 6 hours.

Exactly. I wouldn't even try to defrag that. Just reinstall.

I've had a few that were close to that bad and owner ( friend) didn't want to loose anything. Defraged over and over for 2 solid days. if i remember correctly the 1st pass ran almost 6 hours.

its actually faster to back up the disk and restore it. I have actually seen worse though I am not sure how they did it. usually overdone internet cache and fill compression are big contributors.

I tried to defrag my brother in-laws drive a few nights ago, He had less than 1% available free space.

Hal- "I'm So(loading)rry Dave, I (loading) can no(loading)t allow yo(loading)u to do(loading) that.

Dave-"Umm Hal I finished 10mins ago.

hmm.. it looks like my drive last year when i finally switched from w2k to win7.. (i'm serious). I was far to lazy to defrag too.

The pc's I have seen that are that bad wont actually defrag they just stop after 1% saying not all the files could be defragmented.

Yikes that is bad. The closest I've seen was this back in '08. Doesn't hold a candle to Dennis' though. :)

Let me guess: there were about sixteen 'free toolbars' in this machine's Internet Explorer too, right? :rolleyes:

maybe they were thinking if you get it completely fragmented it would all of a sudden average out and there'd be no fragmentation?

Looks like he is running SQL Server with a full disk. Depending on what kind of indexing they are using and the schema this can happen quickly if you don't maintain your DB server.

Let me guess: there were about sixteen 'free toolbars' in this machine's Internet Explorer too, right? :rolleyes:

LOL. I see that all the time. The top half of the browser is covered in toolbars. I ask, "you use all of these?"

I had a drive like that once, all it take is bittorrent setup not to pre-allocate the file space.

I've seen some close to being that bad, defragging doesn't really work in that case. What I used to do was do an image (RDeploy) of the HD, then format and put it back on the HD. It'd be all blue from there. Took only an hour or so and the performance you gained was decent.

M$ Windows File Systems Suck!!!

This is more an issue with Windows XP than the file system itself.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have implemented idle-time defragmentation. They clean up the drive as background I/O so the file system is always near-spotless.

Just look at my SSD, and I'm sure it would look like that also. :p

Yes, I know that fragmenting doesn't affect them in the same way.

LOL. I see that all the time. The top half of the browser is covered in toolbars. I ask, "you use all of these?"

Reminds me of the episode of The I.T. Crowd where Jen's computer had a virus, but didn't want to change anything, so it died when she needed it to translate for her.

Pathetic seeing that you can schedule a defrag and not have to lift a finger

The pc's I have seen that are that bad wont actually defrag they just stop after 1% saying not all the files could be defragmented.

Was thinking the same thing. There really is such a thing as too much pr0n. ;)

Having worked on some pretty sketchy computers, I wish I could say I've never seen one that bad.

I have seen this a LOT back in the day with different defrag programs. Defrag with one and the other thinks it got worse etc.

Back