Most Efficient Water Cooling NCASE M1

So I'll be receiving my NCASE M1 in the mail in about 2 weeks or less as it is currently in customs in LA.

My question is, what is the most efficient (lowest GPU/CPU temps and low noise) water cooling layout (GPU and CPU water cooled) for the NCASE M1.

Here's my build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kx3tBm

Required Parts For My Build:
1 x 3.5" HDD
1 x NCase M1 R​eservoir by FrozenQ
1 x Reference GTX 980

EDIT: Sorry for the huge pictures! You've been warned :p

Ideas:
1 x 240MM Radiator across from mobo and PSU (Most Common)
vwBidShl.jpg

2 x 240MM Radiators. 1 across from mobo and PSU and 1 under GPU. (This won't work due to 3.5" HDD)
OjQa87hl.jpg

1 x 240MM Radiator across from mobo and PSU and 1 x 120MM on the floor of case (Not sure if the 120mm radiator can fit with a 3.5" HDD on the bottom as well.)
ir5iBCWl.jpg

1 x 240MM Radiator on the floor of case and 1 x 120MM across from mobo and PSU (Might be able to still use 3.5" HDD cage next to 120MM radiator)
pPkQO1kl.jpg

Am I missing in other configurations?

Please I want everyones opinion on what the most efficient system for me would be. Sorry if I left anything out.

Last edited:
No one has any input on this? I've done my research(as you can tell) but it seems that there's so much variation between peoples builds and temperatures. I.E. people with same setups having drastically different temperatures

Fix the picture size by adding a lowercase "L" to the end of the picture url, before the extension.

There isn't a single answer to your main question. It comes down to you having to make decisions and compromises based on many factors. Radiator surface area seems to be king in a lot of cases when it comes to noise/temps, as they are related

Factors to keep in mind when making the choice for yourself and your own needs:

Budget
Pump selection - Apogee drive ii and mcp35x/50x are some of the only viable pumps, may need to consider a bay-style reservoir/pump top for the latter
Additional components like 3.5" drives that you want to fit
Noise/fans
Aesthetics
Overclocking
Build effort

You linked a bunch of oddly formatted pictures, but that seems like its just barely scratching the surface when researching what you want and what your needs are

Fix the picture size by adding a lowercase "L" to the end of the picture url, before the extension.

There isn't a single answer to your main question. It comes down to you having to make decisions and compromises based on many factors. Radiator surface area seems to be king in a lot of cases when it comes to noise/temps, as they are related

Factors to keep in mind when making the choice for yourself and your own needs:

Budget
Pump selection - Apogee drive ii and mcp35x/50x are some of the only viable pumps, may need to consider a bay-style reservoir/pump top for the latter
Additional components like 3.5" drives that you want to fit
Noise/fans
Aesthetics
Overclocking
Build effort

You linked a bunch of oddly formatted pictures, but that seems like its just barely scratching the surface when researching what you want and what your needs are
This. You need to go back and research. There is no simple answer to the most efficient WC setup especially when you factor in noise and temps. Low noise and low temps are very subjective.

Well, there are a lot of variables when watercooling. It's not always as simple as "this layout is best", or "as many radiators as possible". You might have to consider things like pump curves, flow restriction due to fittings/bends, flow restriction due to blocks and rads, rad fin density, fan pressure and fan speed, and of course the amount of heat your system produces is important too.

There might be an ideal setup for your part list, but it can be difficult for someone to guess without a little experimentation or related experience. You might have some luck asking for help in the Watercooling forum section.

I'm not a watercooling guru (I've only built two systems with water so far), but I'll give you my best guess.

Based on your partpicker list, you're going to have a fairly high heat load. You'll benefit from more rads before getting serious diminishing returns, ie you'll want at least a 240mm rad, maybe more.

The pump on your CPU block is a lot better than some of the other AIO/integrated pumps, it's techically a DDC. I doubt it performs as well as a discrete unit with a custom top, but it could handle a fairly restrictive setup before you have huge issues with flowrate.

Airflow is important. Those setups with a bottom mounted radiator are in a tight spot, especially because you have a long-ish card. If you try to put a densely finned radiator down there with thin little fans running at low speed, you're going to get so little airflow through there that the rad would probably hurt more than help. It would be even worse if the case is on carpet. The only way this placement makes sense is with a rad like the Alphacool ST30 and high quality fans. I would not bother with a single 120mm down there, it's more trouble than its worth unless you have a short little graphics card. That rules out option 3.

You already ruled out option 2 because you need that HDD in there somewhere.

Option 4 looks like the best choice, provided that you can find a way to mount your HDD next to the PSU. The 120mm should work well because airflow isn't an issue there, and the 240mm at the bottom will work okay so long as you pick the right rad and fans. That's probably enough radiator surface area for your build, any more might be overkill.

Option 1 is okay. It's cheaper, easy to set up and gives you lots of room for your HDD. You can put your case on the carpet without worrying.

Option 4 looks like the best choice, provided that you can find a way to mount your HDD next to the PSU. The 120mm should work well because airflow isn't an issue there, and the 240mm at the bottom will work okay so long as you pick the right rad and fans. That's probably enough radiator surface area for your build, any more might be overkill..

I found some pictures from 2012 that show that it is possible, granted the case didn't change in design since then :p

Qc8qIl.jpg

This one here thought it shows a cpu cooler instead of a fan.
BnoWzl.jpg

Back