Most Dissapointing game of 2007-08

While I haven't played Galaxy yet, you need to go find a N64 and play SM64.

I think I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but I have to say Super Mario Galaxy. I was pumped because I love every side-scrolling SMB game, and have never played Super Mario 64. I mean critics and gamers everywhere were splooging all over this game, so even if I didn't think it was the greatest game EVAR, it would be a solid purchase, right?

Well, I played maybe 1-2 hours like a month ago and haven't touched it since. In fact, I haven't even thought about playing it, and without this thread I think I would have forgotten about it for another couple months. Very ho-hum. I just don't think Mario works as well in the third dimension.

I'm going to go trade it in on Sins of a Solar Empire this weekend while it's still valuable.

Just posted this in the Worst game poll also.

Bioshock and here's why.

I picked up my Special Edition of Bioshock on release and was super excited to go home and play it since I had read wonderful reviews and previews for over a year. I was psyched for it more than any other game last year. I install it and can't do anything. I read on the forums that it doesn't support SM2. That wasn't on the box and my X850 Pro AGP card was superior in every way to the shitty PCI-E card from ATI listed as the minimum on the box. I uninstall because I don't feel like waiting for the hackers to release the fixes nor do I want to sit for 10 minutes between levels waiting for the game to load.

The patch took almost 4 months to release. Who the hell takes that long to release the first patch especially when there are tons of people with mostly the same problems running the game.

Even with these problems I hadn't given up on the game. I still really wanted to play it so when I got my notebook (sig) in late December I installed it. My first problem was it wouldn't launch past the 2k logo. Searched the 2K forums and found out it was trying to access some audio codec from Gom Player. Uninstalled Gom Player (my media player of choice) and it worked fine. I played it just fine up until I started getting crashes to the desktop every time I tried to save on the second level (Medical Pavilion). Searched the forums again and many others had the same problem and nothing fixed it. I tried everything others had tried and then some and it still happens. It is not my nor anyone else's machines fault. It is the shitty coding on what is supposed to be a great game. 2 years in a row 2K games has released a turd that I was unfortunate enough to have been excited about and then dissapointed in. (It was Star Trek: Legacy in 2006. )

I'm where I still want to play the game but I think I am just going to wait a year or so to try again since maybe the issues will have been resolved by then. In the meantime, I've just bought COD4 and it is getting the harddrive space Bioshock is under.

While I haven't played Galaxy yet, you need to go find a N64 and play SM64.

actually, we have an N64 and we have SM64. Now that I've seen how Mario operates in the third dimension, I don't think I'll ever be firing that up.

Bioshock and Two Worlds. I just couldn't get into Bioshock. It was boring. Two Worlds because it just felt off some how.

Medal of Honor Airborne, with it's lack of server administration out of the box, along with no mods tools and abysmal online support.

But hey, blame it on Epic and a early build of UT3 engine EA used.

I can't believe how many people listed Bioshock.:confused: I'm guessing that many of the people who were disappointed played the pc version after hearing all the hype...and playing on a 20" monitor doesn't give the same experience I had with a 360 hooked to a 42" plasma and surround reciever.:cool:

The biggest problem with Ass. Creed is its super repeditive and the entire selling point is being able to climb on anything. I do find it enjoyable when I play one quest at a time though.

QFT. Assassin's Creed was a great game until about half way through it when the repetition really starts to wear on you. And once you gain the ability to counter, fighting 5...10...a billion guards at a time is cake. Then, once the guards are on high enough alert that you either need to blend or fight your way through the city, it really gets to be a chore.

I can't believe how many people listed Bioshock.:confused: I'm guessing that many of the people who were disappointed played the pc version after hearing all the hype...and playing on a 20" monitor doesn't give the same experience I had with a 360 hooked to a 42" plasma and surround reciever.:cool:

No... I think it was the limited installs, crashing, linearity and total lack of replay value.

I could have played it on my 50" DLP, but would still be the same game.

UT3 for me. Such a huge UT04 fan and the UT3 videos and pics showed a very promising successor to UT04. Play UT3 and it really wasnt that fun. I think Warfare was its downfall and should of kept Onslaught just prettier graphics.

Im surprised Bioshock is mentioned quite a few times on here. I thought that game was great. Since the momemt I fired it up, the atmosphere of the game really sucked me into it. The story was top notch as well at least IMO.

I never played SS1 ... but i heard much about its greatness....thus when part 2 hit.. i grabbed that right up.... and was floored

Looking Glass ..who made the SS games....now defunct...them guys knew the secret to greatness in PC gaming.

I think i read why there was no SS3 is a rights issue.

I never played System Shock. I keep hearing they're great but I've never had a chance to grab a copy. I loved looking glass for Thief's one and two. Theif 1 is probably my favorite game of all time. Looking Glass studio's really knew how to make good games unlike that piece of shit money hoarding buy out and trash machine EA. They ruined the NFS series, they ruined Madden and they ruined the second installment of Lord of the Rings RTS. gah.. Okay i'm sorry I had to get that off my chest.

UT3. I bought 2k4 with better graphics. yippee.

For some reason, Gears was also a letdown. It looked good, but somehow wasn't "fun". The xbox freezing up 4 times while playing didn't help either.

1) Saints Row (sorry if it was released in 06) - It had the potential to be a great GTA style game and fell flat on it's face. Less fun to play with ZERO humor.

2) Bioshock - Terrible game, nuff said

3) Crysis - I played Crysis a bit today and was bored stiff. The game play is so much like Far Cry it's like watching a film that relies on plot twists when you've already seen it. Drive down path in a hummer and blast guards on the side of the road.....shoot at an occasional boat....haven't I played this before? Oh yeah, I did, it was called Far Cry. If there's a saving grace it's how good it looks. Max settings, at 1680x1050, ran like a champ.

4) Unreal Tournament 3. Like Crysis it is EXACTLY like it's predecessor. There's a difference between continuing with a games evolution and simply rebadging the last one.

Soldier of Fortune Payback. SOF 1 was one of my favorite games of all time, then reviews came out for payback. I watched the trailers and wanted to pretend it never existed

actually, we have an N64 and we have SM64. Now that I've seen how Mario operates in the third dimension, I don't think I'll ever be firing that up.

Galaxy didn't look too great after I saw my buddy playing it but Super Mario 64 is one HELL of a game.

hands down to me is HELLGATE LONDON

i played the demo and hated every second of it...

Hellgate London.... if discs weren't so sharp and rigid, I'd wipe my ass with that one. By far the most disappointing recent game.

Another vote for Medal of Honor: Airborne. I was actually kind of excited of this release before it came out, primarily due to Michael Giacchino coming back to compose the game's musical score. It turned out to be a big disappointment and the things that made it a huge disappointment were:

1. Short, easy, and unrealistic campaign: Six contiguous missions is not a game, it's an expansion pack. And sure, I like the idea of jumping out of a plane and landing wherever I feel like, but don't give me this horse crap that with this ability the "battle" will always be a different experience, therefore artificially extending the already poor replayability. The upgrades were a neat addition to the game, but it was way too easy to get all of them before the short campaign ended. Lastly, what the eff you see kay were with the "LEET HAX0R Nazi Super Troopers with Portable Gatling Pwn Guns" towards the end of the game. That's not Medal of Honor -- that's Castle Fuckin' Wolfenstein.

2. Poorly implemented, tacked-on multiplayer: Before the game came out, I saw the screenshots of what were some of the multiplayer maps. Some of them were redone MOHAA classics, which I was okay with. I assumed that the multiplayer of this game would be like a much more polished MOHAA, like a new coat of glaze on an already awesome and delectable donut. However, the actual experience was much worse than what I could imagined. Like BF2 and BF2142, I am now required to log on to a centralized server and select a match from a poorly implemented browser whenever I want to play a quick round. If I am lucky, I will be able to play or practice in any of the many SIX maps (half of them remakes) within a time period of 5-10 minutes before getting a connection timeout (even after opening the proper ports, disabling the firewall, disabling anti-virus, placing my computer in the DMZ, and giving my computer unlimited QOS).

3. Graphics/Sound: I have to admit that this is the best looking MOH yet and I love Giacchino's musical score. However, the game ran a little chunky for my 7800gtx and the lack of anti-aliasing detracted from the decent graphics a bit (I wouldn't blame it on the game, this is a limitation on any Geforce 6/7 card when playing games with Shader Version 3.0). The game also seemed to lack a lot of new music as I noticed that much of Giacchino's work was rehashed from earlier games, although there was the lack of the usual antagonistic riffs from the early Medal of Honor Series (Loved that theme; veterans of the series will know what I'm talking about). Finally, I noticed that the music started getting repetitive throughout the already short campaign, and while the music is still great, hearing the same piece over and over makes blood shoot out of my eyes.

*PHEW* Okay I'm sorry for the rant you guys, but as you could see I was really pissed off about this game. Basically was the worst fifty dollars I spent last year, and, unless it is really resurrected from a third party mod group, would never buy another MOH again.

Oh and moral of the story: Don't buy on the basis that your favorite composer returned to do the score on a game. It doesn't give any fucking indication on how great a game will be.

UT3. I have been a UT player for years and this was going to be the holy grail of online gaming for me. Epic (pun) disappointment. Maybe the biggest of all time for me.

Supreme Commander was also pretty disappointing. It was kind of fun at first while I was learning the game, but after getting a hold on things it was over. I heard forged alliance fixed a lot of the games issues, but i'm not sure i'm ready to give it another shot yet.

For me, Mass Effect. Considering how f'ing pumped I was for that game, it ended up being a pretty big letdown.
I somewhat agree. I was totally blown away by KOTR, and I was really expecting an experience that matched or succeeded it. And the whole time I just kept feeling like there had to be more to this. But there wasn't.

Listening to all these complaints about bioshock and UT3 is exactly why I switched to console gaming. I just popped in bioshock, sat back on my couch and enjoyed, no glitches, no need to patch etc. Same thing with UT3, works fine and is pretty damn fun on my PS3.

Halo 3 was my biggest disappointment, for some reason I thought it would be an above average game, what I got was another halo (which the first 2 didn't impress much).

rmw[m]arine;1032106717 said:
How in gods name could COD4 be disappointing to anyone? Especially the multiplayer?!?!

That's a good point. I didn't expect it to be anything special, so I wasn't disappointed.

Crysis: runs like crap on even the best systems with a lackluster story and cliche shooter gameplay. The Koreans part was alright but the second you started fighting aliens it became a total joke.

Hellgate London: It felt like a chore to play for me :(

Bioshock: I don't know whats more pathetic, the story or the fact everyone lauded over its masterpiece of a plot?

rmw[m]arine;1032106717 said:
How in gods name could COD4 be disappointing to anyone? Especially the multiplayer?!?!

Easy, some people such as myself were extremely disappointed in how it ended up being a brainless arcade shooter.

Easy, some people such as myself were extremely disappointed in how it ended up being a brainless arcade shooter.

Thats the way I felt about it. The spawning enemies did it for me. Not only were there spawning enemies, but they only made like two or three skins for them. I felt like I was fighting army of Arab and Russian clones.

COD4 is my biggest disappointment.

Another vote for Bioshock. Every review I read gushed about this game, but it turned out to be one of the most boring, unfun games I have played in recent memory. The art direction of the game is incredible however.

Crysis: runs like crap on even the best systems
My system is far from the best and it runs at the highest settings using the native resolution of my 22" monitor without a hitch so I'm not sure why so many people have problems running it. Still a lackluster game though.

NCAA Football 08

As with most other EA sports titles it contains glaring, yet SIMPLE issues that should clearly have been dealt with before shipping the game and EA even somehow lets these obvious problems make it into the games year after year.

I love college football and I very much want a decent college football game. My hopes weren't high after NCAA Football 07 being one of the worst football games of all time, but I was hoping NCAA Football 08 would at least get remotely close to the versions I used to enjoy on PS2. Graphics improved some but the game is still trash.

It's fascinating to read how diametrically opposed are the views of the same games. I loved COD4. It was by far my favorite game of 2007. Others hated it. I thought BioSuck was utter trash and the biggest waste of $49 I've ever dropped on a game while so many thought it was fantastic.

Ya gotta love it! :p

UT3 is biggest disapointment for me. Physics / weapon balance / gameplay is actually suprisingly good. Game was ruined by being incomplete and unpolished. I've never like non DM/CTF modes so I don't really care for extra crap, but CTF was ruined by HORRIBLE maps. Game would have been much better with RA built in as well, that makes game fun for everyone :p. Anyways horrible menus too many bugs... blah just alot is bad. ANyways it was released too early and everyone gave up on the game right away. Now that is been fixed up a little and we people remaking CTF maps the game is much better BUT... no one is playing it... so its worthless. Not sure why I even bother playing it anymore :(.

Had SOOOOO much potential which is why it was definitely a huge dissapointment.

I'm going to have to go with Assassin's Creed. I still beat it, and had some enjoyment out of it, but i feel it could have been so much better. It had SO much potential.

Oh, and on Call of Duty 4, i'm really surprised some people don't like either the SP or MP aspects. I found both to be great. The SP was one of the best FPS experiences i've had in a long time. Must be a hit-or-miss type of game to people.

I'm surprised there aren't even more votes for Assassin's Creed. I guess failing the legacy with Hellgate overshadows the year and a half of parading around Jade Raymond instead of working on gameplay in AC.

Oh, and on Call of Duty 4, i'm really surprised some people don't like either the SP or MP aspects. I found both to be great. The SP was one of the best FPS experiences i've had in a long time. Must be a hit-or-miss type of game to people.

Even though it wasn't my biggest disappointment, CoD4 was indeed disappointing, due to its extreme linearity. Every game with a main story, is always basically linear, since we do need to accomplish certain goals to get to the end of that story, but CoD4 goes beyond this linearity to make it worse. You can't even open a damn door and if you reach a certain part of the map, first than all your dumb colleagues (that like to be in front of your gun so much), you have to wait for them to get there, to open the damn door. I'm not even talking about advanced physics and being able to grab other objects. I'm talking about a simple door...

It's not a bad game, but it's not as good as many people make it. Sure, it's their opinion, but these people usually only see black or white. It's either good or bad, with nothing in between and they don't even acknowledge the shortcomings of CoD4. Even in Bioshock, which was the most disappointing game of 2007 IMO, even though also also extremely linear, we can do much more than in CoD4.

Thats the way I felt about it. The spawning enemies did it for me. Not only were there spawning enemies, but they only made like two or three skins for them. I felt like I was fighting army of Arab and Russian clones.

COD4 is my biggest disappointment.

I also hate respawning enemies. That SAS mission, where there's an enemy helicopter firing at us, I shot down the guys in the helicopter and to my surprise, they respawned almost immediately, blowing me away. I tried this 3 or 4 times, without dying and they always respawned...

I also dislike the fact that enemies always appear from the exact same spot. If you die, the first time you go through that mission, you won't die in the same spot again, since you already know exactly where the enemies are going to show up. I find that extremely boring.

Back