Most capable Keyboard/mouse for HTPC use?

dlewis4

Limp Gawd
My sitting area for my home theater room is about 20ft deep, so distancei s going to be an issue.

What is everyone using for their HTPC for KB/mouse combo? I looked at the K400... which looks like it might do it, but not sure.

I was recommended the MX5500...but really dont want to spend $130 on a KB/Mouse combo, unless i know it is going to be functional for everything I want it to be.

What do YOU use, and why

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly, if you are looking at the dinovo edge, pick up the logitech ps3 keyboard bluetooth and an USB Bluetooth Dongle. They feel the same when typing and respond very similar. Only difference is I paid way too much for my edge. I think the dinovo branding is overhyped for logitech.

There's a wireless Logitech keyboard I've seen at local Walmart's that has a track pad built into it that looks decent. I believe it was under $40. As long as you don't plan on doing a lot of typing the Lenovo N5902 is a good one hand keyboard/trackpoint. I just keep a old BTC keyboard with a trackball under a table if I have to do any major typing.

Wow... the Edge is $175...

looks like i might go with one of the smaller one hand ones....

There's a wireless Logitech keyboard I've seen at local Walmart's that has a track pad built into it that looks decent. I believe it was under $40. As long as you don't plan on doing a lot of typing the Lenovo N5902 is a good one hand keyboard/trackpoint. I just keep a old BTC keyboard with a trackball under a table if I have to do any major typing.

+1 I just bought this back on saturday from walmart. Does the trick perfectly so that I dont have to deal with a mouse. Its small light and has perfect keyboard layout. Oh and its cheap.

This is the best keyboard/mouse combo I have found as far as range. I've used this 30 feet away with the usb receiver plugged into the back of the system with no issues. Maybe there are better keyboard/mice combos out there, but I doubt for this price and range. Then again maybe you want a separate keyboard and mouse, you didn't specify.

Last edited:
Been using the Logitech K400 for almost 2 months now. Works great and is super light. While I can't for sure vouch for 20ft it does well at 15 ft.

Finally got off my ass and built a new low wattage small form factor HTPC this last week. I have had large big uber powered HTPC systems for years but nothing that look like it belonged on the rack. With this new system I used the Logitech DiNova mini and I for one am on the edge about it.

I have always used autostart for xbmc never really needed a keyboard after setup was complete. This time I wanted to try one of the micro keyboards out . The DiNovo mini looked like the best of the bunch but that is looks alone I feel. I still use my remote for 99% of the XBMC operation

First the good pounts.
-Pretty good looking design
-Nice size and about as easy to thumb around as a tablet keypad
-Nice battery and range
-Works like it should, all apps see it as mouse and keys

Now the parts I'm not to happy about
-Flimsy feeling. Brittle plastic that seems like it will shatter at first drop
-Back cover not a snug fit and feels loose in my hands. It has not come off but it feels like it will easily after the first drop.
-Cover on the front does nor come off and opens about as much as a clam shell. At first I thought I would like it but it hqs started to wear on me
-Software is crap. I would to change some of the operation but most is locked down. Might just take some time to get used to
-Too damn expensive
-Did I mention brittle :) For the money the DiNovo is just to damn flimsy feeling. I don't expect it to last in my household.

Hope this ramble helps

I ended up getting a K400... works great.

Just need to figure out how to get my HArmony remote to work with it now, then I will be good to go!

I ended up getting a K400... works great.

Just need to figure out how to get my HArmony remote to work with it now, then I will be good to go!

If you use Media Center PC SE as the device it uses most of the buttons for Media center.

I use a Harmony remote and a K400 for my HTPC. I also find having a media center remote is nice to program certain commands that aren't in the harmony database.

I have a K400 as well. Ok to just use as a remote to press a key or two. but it isn't a very good KB, the key spacing is like a 10" netbook, so it kind of sucks to actually touch type on it. The touchpad is also a bit flaky.

Also it doesn't seem to have any way to do keypad emulation, so I had to remap some applications that use keypad.

For those who don't need extreme range (which I'm defining as 20ft-30ft) while wanting something with a small profile, I would suggest the Anker Mini Wireless Keyboard ($15 on Amazon) -- it is the updated version to the Favi Mini Wireless Keyboard (which is the older version sold under a different label).

I own the older "FAVI" version and the range stinks; it's only about 5ft with at direct line of sight. HOWEVER, user reviews on Amazon suggest that the updated Anker version is reported to be pretty darn awesome with stellar range (15ft-20ft through walls). Here's why I chose this keyboard:

1. I don't use the HTPC keyboard often since my Harmony handles most HTPC navigation, so I don't need something large and bulky. Even the diNovo's and K400's are too big for my own HTPC setup and tastes.
  2. Small keyboard profile = high WAF. ;)
  3. I can tuck the keyboard away into the entertainment center, instead of having a keyboard/mouse laying around the room. Again, thinking about the WAF.
  4. If you have a cat, the built-in laser pointer is AWESOME. :)
  5. In the rare event that I need to use a real keyboard/mouse for major work, I typically have a spare set sitting around that takes < 1 minute to plug via my case's front USB port.

Back