MOS 8580R5 SID Chip, for Commodore 64, Genuine part, Tested and Working, ExRare

It depends if china has decided to start cranking out fakes of these. As this retro stuff gets rarer and more valuable, counterfiets will really start becoming a problem. So many of these SID chips have died from a limited supply, and eventually there will be none left.

Reactions: erek
like this
I don't see how ANY c64 parts are "rare". There were so many of these systems. It was sold for damn near 15 years AND the top sold PC of all time, iirc.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Well, from what I can see, this chip was only used on the C64-II and the C128. That being said, it was in production just as long as the 6581 variants it replaced. Unless this is pin specific to the C64 or something that I don't know about, I don't think it's worth a lot.

I don't see how ANY c64 parts are "rare". There were so many of these systems. It was sold for damn near 15 years AND the top sold PC of all time, iirc.

They actually are getting rare, a lot of the MOS chips self destruct over time and die due to the way they cut corners when they produced the chips. Back in the day many chips failed QC at the factory and it was very common to get one with a bunch of chips replaced at the factory and socketed. The SID chip is the most common to fail and working versions are getting scarce, unless you start paying a lot of money.

They actually are getting rare, a lot of the MOS chips self destruct over time and die due to the way they cut corners when they produced the chips. Back in the day many chips failed QC at the factory and it was very common to get one with a bunch of chips replaced at the factory and socketed. The SID chip is the most common to fail and working versions are getting scarce, unless you start paying a lot of money.

You seem knowledgable, so I'll ask. How do they self destruct?

There is a flaw in the silicon in the chips, they cut corners that made it way cheaper to make but cut down on the lifespan of the chips. Obviously commodore only cared about price and being cheap so they didnt care at the time. But similar to how the bad caps in the 2000's break down and fail, same with these chips. So over time and as they are used the silicon slowly fails inside and eventually stops working. Obviously you can scavenge from other systems, but there is a finite supply, and once gone these systems will stop working for good.

Back