Mortal Kombat X

Milking a 1990s franchise......I never had fun with the game except for maybe a few quarters I lost in the Arcade machines playing MK II...

Absolutely loved MK9 and watching high level play from tournaments is great. Can't wait to see MKX at EVO this year.

Milking a 1990s franchise......I never had fun with the game except for maybe a few quarters I lost in the Arcade machines playing MK II...

So what?

The 90's was the golden era of fighting games. Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 3, Marvel VS Capcom, all the VS series, SNK galore. The best 3d games, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, both go back there as well. This is one of those genres where the franchises that did it first still do it the best. Despite a slew of competition the older series are still better.

The only thing that's odd about MK is that it was never that good. The game has never taken any real skill and was always a broken monstrosity through it's life. It was always the bastard stepchild of the genre, and reveled in that. Fun game, but not good.

But MK9 actually fixed a lot of things. It still takes much less skill compared to it's competition, and it suffered from broken as hell stuff at times, but it's a vastly improved product. The combat system is cleaner and better than anything else they've cranked out. And it is the only fighting game to include single player content worth a rats ass.

The accusation that they are milking a 90's franchise is false. They've vastly improved on what they had back then and are obviously taking things seriously. That isn't always true for their competition. And even then, despite Capcom and Namco milking their frachises they still kick ass.

This game looks like an awesome party game to play on the big-screen with an awesome PC and a circle of drunk friends.

Looking forward to some reviews. May have to pick this up pretty soon.

It's now released on Steam and the download size is only 3GB apparently it uses some online streaming download.

Can't even play, it just gives me a black screen and the Steam forums are littered with complaints. NRS really fucked up here.

It's now released on Steam and the download size is only 3GB apparently it uses some online streaming download.

Can't even play, it just gives me a black screen and the Steam forums are littered with complaints. NRS really fucked up here.

Crap, I was going to buy it tonight to play but if it's broken, I will wait for the fix before buying.

Well the game has finally downloaded the remaining game files and the game is around 30GB. However, I cannot access the story mode and online play isn't available either. I'll wait and see if further download packs will be made available later on, but so far I'm having a blast with this game.

WTF is going on with this game? Why only 6 chars in the single match mode only? Why no story mode? I'm feeling a bit of preorder (albeit cheaper than steam's price) regret right about now. I'm sure WB Games will get it right eventually like they did with Arkham Origins, but WTF?

WTF is going on with this game? Why only 6 chars in the single match mode only? Why no story mode? I'm feeling a bit of preorder (albeit cheaper than steam's price) regret right about now. I'm sure WB Games will get it right eventually like they did with Arkham Origins, but WTF?

This was apparently some kind of test for being able to play part of a game while the rest streamed in the background. The preload only included some basic bits and pieces, and the rest of the game fully unlocked and began to download upon release. This did not work all that well and pretty much causes the game to crash. You should be seeing Steam start downloading the other~25GBs of data now. Once all that is downloaded, you should theoretically have access to the full game without anymore crashing.

Edit: From the Steam forum:

As many Steam community members have noticed, the size of the initial pre-load for Mortal Kombat X is about 3 GB. This is because we are using a new feature of Steam that allows the game to be played while the full download is streamed and installed in the background.

As soon as the game is played for the first time, a batch of DLC content will appear in your download queue. Check the Steam client to see the download progress on DLC items labeled Mortal Kombat X Install Pack 01 through 23.

You’ll be able to play the game while these downloads complete.

Thank goodness for that. I'll let this bake for a while before I make a real opinion.

Not off to a good start though.

I always thought the whole "play while downloading" thing was messed up... I'm not playing a game until the whole thing is finished installing.

They should make that an option instead of forcing it on people and causing mass confusion.

I always thought the whole "play while downloading" thing was messed up... I'm not playing a game until the whole thing is finished installing.

They should make that an option instead of forcing it on people and causing mass confusion.

I dont know, if it works right I think it could be a pretty cool feature especially considering how big these freaking game files are nowadays. Im one of those guys that wants everything RTFN and being able to buy a game and play it a couple minutes later is pretty appealing. But if its going to be riddled with bugs then Ill just wait.

I haven't been able to access most of it, even though I have all the 29 install files done. Lets me do training, or practice matches, regular 1v1 matches and about it. Playing around in practice the gameplay seems alright. Stays at 60 most of the time everything maxed, however x-ray moves/fatalities are at a locked 30fps. The jump between 60 all of a sudden to 30 is pretty annoying... Idk what they were thinking with that.

Guys I have the game and all packs installed but I still cant play online or story mode? How do I get my money back or get it working? Im furious!

Hmm i was thinking of buying this but there's all these issues with this game making me a bit wary of it.

For people who can't access Story Mode or Online mode, go to the Steam library and click on Mortal Kombat X and right click and click on properties. Go to the DLC tab and check 5 and 9, it should download the packs and Story Mode and Online Mode will be available the next time you launch the game.

For me I already finished the story mode, I thought the ending was a bit lacking but nevertheless, I still enjoyed it.

i blame warner brothers.

everytime joo hollywood gets their hands on a game they ruin it with stupid crap.
betting this has to do with anti piracy because this download/streaming/updating/package mechanism is a huge joke. Everytime i turn the game on it crashes, then i look at steam and its redownloading yet another package.. everytime. like wtf is going on can i play this game or not.

Well shortly after my post yesterday everything was unlocked and working. I'm playing thru story mode right now... DX11 only? this looks like shit from late PS2 era sometimes, terrible quality. The Fighting stages look decent. Framerate is super inconsistent overall, aside from the locked 30 fps scenes, the framerate dips between 45-60 a lot during fights and the story sequence. How is the story line part so inconsistent? It just seems like there was a lot of lazy porting going on.

Did anyone who preordered get Goro unlocked? Mine still says it's a DLC char.

Is anybody getting stuttering and inconsistent framerates on this game? It's still playable but annoying. Or is my video card to blame, I game at 4K on a single GTX 970 (Need an upgrade) and I assume it's because of the 3.5GB VRAM limit, I noticed on MSI Afterburner the GPU load drops to 70% at some stage during fights, resulting in stuttering and FPS drops.

Is anybody getting stuttering and inconsistent framerates on this game? It's still playable but annoying. Or is my video card to blame, I game at 4K on a single GTX 970 (Need an upgrade) and I assume it's because of the 3.5GB VRAM limit, I noticed on MSI Afterburner the GPU load drops to 70% at some stage during fights, resulting in stuttering and FPS drops.

I noticed it too. I was running this game on crossfirex and it stuttered like crazy. Turned off crossfire and it seems to work pretty good. I thought it might have something to do with my older hdd. The game files aren't installed on a SSD. That's the only bottleneck I could think of. Slight stuttering is still happening but I hope AMD patches it or it might be a patch to the game.

Is anyone running this perfectly with no stutters? I'm running this on 1440p. The black bars on the side annoy me a little though.

I noticed it too. I was running this game on crossfirex and it stuttered like crazy. Turned off crossfire and it seems to work pretty good. I thought it might have something to do with my older hdd. The game files aren't installed on a SSD. That's the only bottleneck I could think of. Slight stuttering is still happening but I hope AMD patches it or it might be a patch to the game.

Is anyone running this perfectly with no stutters? I'm running this on 1440p. The black bars on the side annoy me a little though.

You've got black bars on the side of the screen in every mode? That doesn't seem right, I'm running 1440p also, but mine is full screen. biggest issue for me is the stuttering.

Finally all working, No stuttering and perfectly smooth. Running a 2600k @ 4800mhz, 16 gigs of ram, 2 g1 gtx 980s in sli, 27 in Rog Swift with Gsync enabled 1440p and all in game settings maxxed.

The story mode is really making me interested. Not interested enough to drop $60 on a game with DRM and no Linux version but interested enough to keep my eye on it.

You've got black bars on the side of the screen in every mode? That doesn't seem right, I'm running 1440p also, but mine is full screen. biggest issue for me is the stuttering.

Yeah there's black bars in every mode. LG Ultrawide here as well.

I checked and I don't think it runs without black bars because it doesn't support 21:9 screen. That's odd though. Anyone get this running on an LG Ultrawide without black bars?

Last edited:
Back