Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

phobic

Supreme [H]ardness
So yeah the new MK game officially announced today. MK vs DC comics. Now, I know Capcom had a similar spinoff (Marvel vs Capcom) which I thought was pretty decent but MK vs DC sounds a little... ummm.. lame? I dunno. I'm just not excited about it at all. Then again, I haven't been excited about a MK game in forever.

Oh they also got rid of fatalities and over the top gore (decapitations, limb removal, etc) too it seems.

It's coming out on 360/PS3. There's a trailer and interview with one of the lead designers here:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/18/mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-trailer/

Meh. :eek:

If the do indeed take the fatalities out of it this game will FAIL!!!!! They need to take MK back to its 2 D roots with real people doing the moves, that shit was the best.

I understand DC not wanted their characters as killers to a point but that was the main attraction to MK!! And this premise would be awesome if Batman could ripe off your head and rip his off I just wish they had the balls to go through with this great team up.

One word: faggotry.

I giggled

That video just seemed down right stupid. I also think DC universe characters are usually pretty lame (except batman!) but those two worlds don't work. Mortal Kombat felt like...well...real...sort of. I mean it was digitized actors pretty much. DC is comics of course. It worked with Marvel vs Street Figther because Street fighter always had a comic look to it.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the MK creators really just lost touch with their fanbase. I really don't know what the hell that was supposed to be but I, an old longtime fan, am severely dissappointed and have been over the last few iterations of the game.

This game actually looks like shit. Mortal Kombat without gore and fatalities is not Mortal Kombat at all. On the positive side, I'll have Soul Calibur 4 and Street Fighter 4 to take care of my fighter needs for 2008.

who said there were taking out the blood and gore, nobody i bet it will ship with full gore and fatalities for everyone

Im not a really big fan of MK since Triology ... but no fatalities is the worst descition they could have made
Even the last MK with "costume" fatalities was lame

I don't think I've liked MK since the second one.
MK3 was so broken that they had to release 4 different full-on arcade revisions of it. The final one (Ultimate) completely broke the computer AI to boot. I don't think Midway has head their head on straight since.

This is just next in line. The recent MK games have looked good, but were just casual fighting games. There's not really any true skill or depth put into any of them.

This seems like more of the same...and can you say "Rip off" any more? I mean, how is this not making the Marvel vs. Capcom designers crack up uncontrollably?

No Fatalities = FAIL

Someone needs to revive Eternal Champions from Sega. Or at least on XBLA.

Eternal Champions CD was a killer game that too few people ever got to try. I'd love to see a remake of a game like that. The first game was pretty weak, though. No combos and special move meter = waiting game. The CD version fixed all of that, though.

Shoulda been MK vs Killer Instinct.

I mean it fits a lot better in terms of styles/tones and there are many KI fans who've been wanting another KI game for a long time.

While the DC characters will give them more mass appeal,

1. If the superheroes are nerfed, it will piss off teh superhero fans.
2. If there's no fatalities/it's Teen rated, it will piss off the MK fans.

With KI, you coulda easily had fatalilties galore and some good characters from both games without nerfing either side of it (IE Superman is going to be nerfed because he's vunerable to quote, "magic.")

Iunno, I think its pretty cool. I won't buy it (I don't buy fighting games, or atleast rarely do) but it'll definitely be soemthign I WILL Rent and WILL PLAY.

Shoulda been MK vs Killer Instinct.

I mean it fits a lot better in terms of styles/tones and there are many KI fans who've been wanting another KI game for a long time.

While the DC characters will give them more mass appeal,

1. If the superheroes are nerfed, it will piss off teh superhero fans.
2. If there's no fatalities/it's Teen rated, it will piss off the MK fans.

With KI, you coulda easily had fatalilties galore and some good characters from both games without nerfing either side of it (IE Superman is going to be nerfed because he's vunerable to quote, "magic.")

Indeed. I would of loved to see Killer Instinct vs Mortal Kombat much better then this, or alternatively DC vs Marvel, I just don't think the Mortal Kombat fighters would stand much of a chance vs someone like Superman so without his super speed and strength he becomes nothing more then a regular fighter.

Bad idea although I think it will interesting how the implement everything. Unless the outcome is much better then expected I'm expecting a mediocre fighter at best.

Not to thread hijack, but wasn't there talk of a new KI game about a year ago? Granted it's a series I always detested, but I'm all for more fighting games.
Anything ever come of the new KI rumors?

Yeah, I was going to make a thread about this ealier, but I couldn't bring myself to give out this horrible news. This is a complete joke. I wish Boon was toying with us, but I'm afraid he's not. Merging two totally different worlds, themes, and characters defies belief. I'm still trying to come to grips that one of my favorite fighting games series is ready to be taken out back and shot. I just don't get where anyone thought this would be a good idea...we should appeal!

This is a dumb idea. Mortal Kombat is all about fatalities with limbs and torsos cut off. If you don't have that then don't even create the game.

Hopefully for the sake off all that's good in the world, we're wrong about fatalities and such. It may have something to do with the fact that perhaps DC didn't want to see their characters being horribly mutilated.

Regardless, I'm gonna pass on this trash. I haven't been excited about an MK game since I first saw a MK3 machine.

I think another major issue is that DC comic were, well, comics. A cartoon comic has more in contrast to the more "realistic" digitized world of MK – speaking on MK I – MK III. Though MK deployed a fictional base, it was created in more real world approach.

This looks beyond retarded. And Capcom still should be kicking themselves for not taking the Marvel Vs. Capcom engine and making Marvel Vs. DC aka License To Print Money :rolleyes:

Being a huge MK fan I'm also going to go ahead and say this game will be full of FAIL.

No fatalities in a MK game = fail all around

Half the fun of beating a guy to death, is how u end his suffering (or prolong it given the case :p)

You people need to stop jumping to conclusions. FATALITIES WILL BE IN THE GAME! No one stated they wouldnt be from Midway. On that note, i will have to see how it comes along, but after the last couple MK games, i doubt i will buy it, the series went Shite after MK3.

wow...Midway seems to be really jumping the shark with this one. I frankly would've buried the MK franchise on the XBOX are began anew with a spiritual successor, not hampered by MK's old combat mechanics and characters. IMHO, MK has run its course.

Back