Mortal Kombat and other Midway games coming to Xbox Live Arcade

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145174.html

Fighting fans familiar with Midway can thank the publisher for one of the genre's most recognizable catch phrases--"Finish Him!"--by downloading Ultimate Mortal Kombat. The spine-pulling, head-popping action will be featured in a collection of several early Mortal Kombat games, but Midway has yet to announce exactly which games from the MK opus will be included.

More goodness for XBLA :) Defender, Paperboy, Root Beer Tapper, and Cyberball are also coming to XBLA later this year.

Yes. Including the ever popular Geometry Wars... however, there usually is some kinda multiplayer tracking on XBLive.

Luke_Skywalker said:
Are these the same games you can play on computer for free?

Every game even XBLA games are hooked up for online support via Live. And YES they're free on your pc .. if you like to download and play illegal games. So for a few bucks you can download and legally play these games. You know... obey the law ;)

Street Fighter 2 Alpha hits XBLA in 2 weeks, with a fully supported new online ranked ladder system. Whether or not you like the fact that XBLA arcade has older titles.. Nintendo is doing it with VC, its part of next gen ... and its going to be a HUGE money maker for MS.

The average gamer isn't in the business of ripping off developers by playing illegal ROMs on thier pc, contrary to what you may believe.

Well... you can obtain some of these games legally as well (including geometry wars clones) and there are plenty of flash-based paperboy games and such as well. I think MK2 is available as well places for free, as "abandonware" but that's a gray area of the law. Not exactly legal, but not illegal either.

steviep said:
Well... you can obtain some of these games legally as well (including geometry wars clones) and there are plenty of flash-based paperboy games and such as well. I think MK2 is available as well places for free, as "abandonware" but that's a gray area of the law. Not exactly legal, but not illegal either.

I'll agree, but in general most are still illegal or like you said border line grey area illegal.

Either way the whole idea behind XBLA and Nintendos Virtual Console is amazing and will be a huge money maker for each company :cool:

Yes... you can play Paperboy on the nes.

You can also listen to music in your car, on your TV, and on the Radio or internet

You can also play video games on the on any platform you choose.

You can watch movies with any standard DVD player.

So geez...there's just no point to even own a 360! :eek:

theNoid said:
I'll agree, but in general most are still illegal or like you said border line grey area illegal.

Either way the whole idea behind XBLA and Nintendos Virtual Console is amazing and will be a huge money maker for each company :cool:

Omg mp3s! I bet you don't have any illegal roms or mp3s on your pc since your so concerned about it.

Slartibartfast said:
The sad thing is that the only reason I want an x360 is because of games on xbl.

Sad, maybe, but you're not the only one. There are more people playing Geometry Wars and Bejewelled on Live than there are playing actual X360 games.

steviep said:
Sad, maybe, but you're not the only one. There are more people playing Geometry Wars and Bejewelled on Live than there are playing actual X360 games.

Many of those arcade games was MS way of going after the female demographic. It helped that they had all the demographic information of people who already played those games on Zone.

If you have a gf or wife do NOT tell her about Zuma, BJ2, Hexic, or the hardwood games. Just don't do it.....unless you want to either buy another 360 or have to give yours up to her.

Nice thing is though is that she can get achievements in games you otherwise wouldn't want to :D

Abandonware or not, it still technically a violation of Fair Uses.

Now knock off the talk about it please. Remember, there is no discussion of anything illegal, this includes piracy.

I'm hoping for MK2...
As long as it's not #1 with it's 100% damage jumping punch juggle combos.
#3 wasn't TOO bad...but the AI was horrendous.

Domingo said:
I'm hoping for MK2...
As long as it's not #1 with it's 100% damage jumping punch juggle combos.
#3 wasn't TOO bad...but the AI was horrendous.

Seriously, I still bust out MK2 on the snes; I really should get Midway Arcade Treasures 2 so I can play the good version.

Slartibartfast said:
Seriously, I still bust out MK2 on the snes; I really should get Midway Arcade Treasures 2 so I can play the good version.

Surprisingly enough the Midway Arcade series is one of the best selling franchies of all time.

It's certainly no Mario or Madden but it has sold more than I would have ever believed.

WorldRunner said:
Surprisingly enough the Midway Arcade series is one of the best selling franchies of all time.

It's certainly no Mario or Madden but it has sold more than I would have ever believed.

I believe it. I have the first one: Rampage and Smash TV for $10? Yes please!

MK3 was by far the best in the MK series (IMO). Yeah, the AI sucked-you had to find "tricks" to beating it in the harder modes/stages. Then again, all MK games where like that. But the AI isn't why I play a fighting game :D

t3mp said:
MK3 was by far the best in the MK series (IMO). Yeah, the AI sucked-you had to find "tricks" to beating it in the harder modes/stages. Then again, all MK games where like that. But the AI isn't why I play a fighting game :D

True, but when MK3 was out for more than a few months...people in my area stopped playing it.
To me the whole "run button" made everything really spazzy. Too much running around and doing those canned combos. It kept people from turtling endlessly, but it was too much mashing for me.
I guess balance was another issue. Once people figured out the run-up system, there was a whole lot of running away with Cyrax/Spector and Kabal. If someone made any mistakes at all...BAM...65% of their life was gone and they're having to catch the guy who's running away again.
The MK's have never been big on balance, but this was one of the worst offenders.
The collections for the home systems eventually tweaked damage a priority down a little, but the arcade one was all over the place. It's likely why Midways is constantly having to release revisions to a "completed" game in the arcade. In the first "final" release for MK3 in the arcade, Kabal was so strong that he was nearly unbeatable. People learned his 75% damage combo within a few hours.

Oh damn, I remember those days. I would own with Kano, even those Kabal fools. But man, that last super-revision-king-size-ludicrous-speed-ultimate update turned me off to it completely. Sucks I won't be able to get an Xbox 360 for awhile. Spent all my money on the machine in my sig.

I had a discussion with my friends a long time ago about this: Why do we all upgrade to the latest hardware ($400+ vid cards, $150+ motherboards, $150+ processors etc.) (oh yea, Xbox, PSP and DS also) and just end up playing old-school games????? WTF is up with that???

Yeah, anyone was beatable with the right strategy, but the balance for MK3 was out of whack. Someone playing Nightwolf, Sonya, Kano, etc. had to really be good and execute things flawlessly (especially when the other guy was equally good and turtling/running with better character) to even be competetive. With Cyrax and Sektor, there were patterns that essentially kept your opponent pinned for the whole match. If your timing wasn't absolutely amazing...the whole round would end with one mistake. Kabal was pretty simplistic, but he could keep jumping backwards and doing jumpkick/air-fireball pattern. If his timing was good, it was tough to do much about. If you got frustrated and tried to rush in...one dash move and 65% of your life is gone.
That whole game was like trying to beat Guile with Blanka in the original SF2. It's *posible* but good luck...

Domingo said:
That whole game was like trying to beat Guile with Blanka in the original SF2. It's *posible* but good luck...

Man, it's hard to beat Guile with almost anyone in the early games. You know who's a bitch to beat though, is e-honda in SF2 Turbo, because they gave him the ability to move during his hundred hand slap. Seriously, just start mashing light punch while moving towards your opponent and you will do well.

Yeah, they beefed Honda up in that one. Invincible frames were added for him...and a few other character moves, too. Actually, there was a lot of balance in that game. Pretty much the whole cast could win, hence the major tournaments actually having winners using every character.
In the first SF2, Guile could actually just keep doing low jabs and Blanka only had 1-2 moves that could stop it...and your spacing and timing had to be spot-on. If Guile was played correctly in that game (and I won't even mention the "invisible throw" trick), he was borderline unbeatable.

Hyper Fighting is my fave of the series, so I'm PSYCHED to play the 360 version. I'm a Zangief player, and he was considered top tier in that game. He's always been competetive, but in that game even a so-so player could abuse his double-lariat.

Domingo said:
Yeah, they beefed Honda up in that one. Invincible frames were added for him...and a few other character moves, too. Actually, there was a lot of balance in that game. Pretty much the whole cast could win, hence the major tournaments actually having winners using every character.
In the first SF2, Guile could actually just keep doing low jabs and Blanka only had 1-2 moves that could stop it...and your spacing and timing had to be spot-on. If Guile was played correctly in that game (and I won't even mention the "invisible throw" trick), he was borderline unbeatable.

Hyper Fighting is my fave of the series, so I'm PSYCHED to play the 360 version. I'm a Zangief player, and he was considered top tier in that game. He's always been competetive, but in that game even a so-so player could abuse his double-lariat.

I too really love Hyper Fighting. I like to use the 10 star code on the snes version and play at super hyper mega speed :D

Luke_Skywalker said:
Are these the same games you can play on computer for free?

Yes you can play these on your 1500-2500 dollar gaming rig and 19" screen for "free". WTF is your point? Why must people be so anti 360? I own both a pc and the 360 and I definately find myself on the 360 and my HDTV far more than the Pc. Except for web surfing.

I think the same thing will happen once revolution launches. People will only be buying it to play old snes games...and depending on how much nintendo charges for those games, they may be able to survive off it in the short term.

chojin_1999 said:
I had a discussion with my friends a long time ago about this: Why do we all upgrade to the latest hardware ($400+ vid cards, $150+ motherboards, $150+ processors etc.) (oh yea, Xbox, PSP and DS also) and just end up playing old-school games????? WTF is up with that???

Just proof that no matter how nice and shiny a game looks, gameplay is king ;)

Yup, gamplay will always be king. It's one reason the SF games stood up for so long when all of the copies came and went.
It's why people still swear by Tekken Tag, when graphical monsters like DOA4 are out.
I think a lot of the newer games out there just aren't designed to be played 6-7 years from now. Instant gratification, instant sale, but gamplay just isn't there for the long haul.

I think part of the appeal is gameplay and part of the appeal is nostalgic value. Why are a lot of these old games popular? Because people who play these games are the same ones who played them when they were younger. I bet if you put these same games in front of young kids today, most won't want to play them cause they're too different from today's games. Once nintendo launches revolution, I'll be interested to know the age group dowloading the majority of the snes/nes games. I don't think it'll be too much of a stretch to say it won't be the 9 and 10 year olds.

I honestly can't wait for Paperboy as I spent countless hours during my younger years playing it on the original platforms...............

Tims goes too fast.......

Got the midway treasures game for my psp. Comes with aqlot of the old style games (mortal kombat 1,2,3, joust, paperboy, rampage, gauntlet, defender, ect) Not perfect by any means, but is a good package for those wanting older games who own a psp...

kamxam said:
Got the midway treasures game for my psp. Comes with aqlot of the old style games (mortal kombat 1,2,3, joust, paperboy, rampage, gauntlet, defender, ect) Not perfect by any means, but is a good package for those wanting older games who own a psp...

The console midway arcade treasures releases are excellent as well.

Back