More Win10 annoyances...

Was waiting on this. These notifications are optional. And the thing is that in this case it has a lot of results that prove it be true. Edge is really good with power consumption now. I have no problem with notifications that point out tangible advantages that are reproducible. Of course I get that Microsoft could just lie about it. Still, it's fair to point out things that have evidence that could be beneficial as long as that's optional and this is.

Although I prefer Linux, I don't have a problem with Windows 10. However I'm also not going to blindly defend Microsoft when I know only too well that they've crossed the line when considering just who owns your PC.

Get rid of the spyware, the touch interface and the separate settings menu, as well as the unnecessary forced marketing and Windows 10 has the potential to be a great OS - Until such things change it's going to be something you accept under sufferance at best.

Get rid of the spyware, the touch interface and the separate settings menu, as well as the unnecessary forced marketing and Windows 10 has the potential to be a great OS - Until such things change it's going to be something you accept under sufferance at best.

At this point there's no way Microsoft can get rid of the touch UI without HUGE blowback. This isn't as black and white as some make it out to be. While I have no problem with Microsoft offering better options to control the data sharing, it's not all "spyware". There are some pretty damned cool things that Cortana can do and then sync across devices. Again, I understand not forcing it from the perspective of a classic desktop user and it's clear that Microsoft is for financial reasons. But people don't want to buy software these days, not operating systems. I think the only way some people will be happy is that if Windows is like Linux, free with no strings attached. That's going to be tough for Microsoft. And indeed if Windows ever did become free, to telemetry of this or that, I'm guessing that desktop Linux folks wouldn't rejoice.

At this point there's no way Microsoft can get rid of the touch UI without HUGE blowback. This isn't as black and white as some make it out to be. While I have no problem with Microsoft offering better options to control the data sharing, it's not all "spyware". There are some pretty damned cool things that Cortana can do and then sync across devices. Again, I understand not forcing it from the perspective of a classic desktop user and it's clear that Microsoft is for financial reasons. But people don't want to buy software these days, not operating systems. I think the only way some people will be happy is that if Windows is like Linux, free with no strings attached. That's going to be tough for Microsoft. And indeed if Windows ever did become free, to telemetry of this or that, I'm guessing that desktop Linux folks wouldn't rejoice.

It's the underhanded tactics - The OS messing with Linux partitions, the forced advertising. We've pushed beyond software that simply runs in the background allowing the user to interface with the hardware, to an operating system that's becoming more and more like an application in itself that's taking over your PC.

I bought Windows 10 full retail, I don't have any issue paying for the OS, but MS need to understand that while it may be their software, it's my PC. Overstep boundaries and I'll move to a platform that respects what's mine. Having said that, I really like the Anniversary update.

It's the underhanded tactics - The OS messing with Linux partitions, the forced advertising. We've pushed beyond software that simply runs in the background allowing the user to interface with the hardware, to an operating system that's becoming more and more like an application in itself that's taking over your PC.

I bought Windows 10 full retail, I don't have any issue paying for the OS, but MS need to understand that while it may be their software, it's my PC. Overstep boundaries and I'll move to a platform that respects what's mine. Having said that, I really like the Anniversary update.

I've not installed Windows 10 and Linux in dual boot. From what I've read it can be tricky with UEFI systems but I think that's not a Windows 10 issue per se. As for forced advertising, that's well overstated. Yes there's stuff there but it can be turned off for now. And while you may have bought Windows 10 full retail, few other did or would ever. This is simply a different market than 21 years ago when people lined up to by copied of Windows 95. That'll never be the case for an OS ever again.

Look, I don't agree with everything Microsoft is doing with Windows 10. But I think the notion that consumers would gladly pay money for an OS with no "spyware" is unrealistic. It's clear that consumers are more than willing to trade convenience, features and low upfront cost for total privacy. It's just the reality of the consumer market place.

The first time you go to a Google site in not-Chrome, they will throw a box in the corner encouraging the use of Chrome.

As for dual boot partitions, I haven't dual booted since the 90s. I can report that Virtualbox 5.1.2 still runs perfect on Win10 1607 tho and my Linux VM is same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

And indeed if Windows ever did become free, to telemetry of this or that, I'm guessing that desktop Linux folks wouldn't rejoice.

Why would we care? Windows is de facto free already. Either it comes with the branded pos they (the general public) buy or they use 'other' methods to get it. People use linux to get away from Windows, not because it's free.

As for Edge, it's not surprising it uses less energy while browsing. Last time I tried it, most of the stuff was displaying wrong or non functional.

Why would we care? Windows is de facto free already. Either it comes with the branded pos they (the general public) buy or they use 'other' methods to get it. People use linux to get away from Windows, not because it's free.

As for Edge, it's not surprising it uses less energy while browsing. Last time I tried it, most of the stuff was displaying wrong or non functional.

I have to say, i totally agree with B00nie. I don't use Linux because it's free, in fact the concept of it being free is literally something I never even consider. I use Linux because in my case I find it's the better tool for the job, and I don't want to be solely reliant on Windows.

Considering Chrome's sandboxing I don't find it at all surprising that it uses more power than MS Edge.

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again: the sheer number of hoops people jump through to use Windows 10 at all continues to astonish me. ;)

Can you give some examples of sites that don't display properly?

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again: the sheer number of hoops people jump through to use Windows 10 at all continues to astonish me. ;)
I ran setup.exe. It was extremely complex, I had to click a thing in Rufus, then I had to double-click an icon. I'm still shocked that I made it this far, but I guess I'm just a trooper.

I said use Windows 10 at all, not install it - very very big difference there. :)

Was waiting on this. These notifications are optional. And the thing is that in this case it has a lot of results that prove it be true. Edge is really good with power consumption now. I have no problem with notifications that point out tangible advantages that are reproducible. Of course I get that Microsoft could just lie about it. Still, it's fair to point out things that have evidence that could be beneficial as long as that's optional and this is.

Why were you waiting on this? Your overlords instructed you to do damage control when it is brought up?

The first time you go to a Google site in not-Chrome, they will throw a box in the corner encouraging the use of Chrome.

As for dual boot partitions, I haven't dual booted since the 90s. I can report that Virtualbox 5.1.2 still runs perfect on Win10 1607 tho and my Linux VM is same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

I know that song. Talking Heads - Once In a Lifetime. :)

Why were you waiting on this? Your overlords instructed you to do damage control when it is brought up?

Huh? I saw this a couple of weeks ago and knew it would come up around here. I don't have any problem with optional tips that can have tangible benefit for users, even if it is self-serving, as long as the claims have validity, and most independent testing I've seen shows that this is a valid claim.

If you don't like Windows 10, dont use it. There are other options. You have any flavor of linux you could ever want, you have Window 7 and 8/8.1 that dont even nag you anymore to upgrade. I mean there is literally 0 reason to post stuff like this anymore. People who use Windows 10 and like it will continue using it. People who don't like it will continue using whatever they run. I thought the amount of threads in this subforum with blatant clickbait articles would end when the free upgrade stuff ended, but I guess not.

Just because edge is less battery intensive does not make it better...

Just because edge is less battery intensive does not make it better...

Better is a very subject thing. There is a good deal of evidence that Edge however is better with battery life, which is a specific and objectively verifiable claim.

windows 10 is the bombbbbbb MSFT FTMFW

*this product was given to me for a reduced charge in exchange for my review

I said use Windows 10 at all, not install it - very very big difference there. :)
That's also extremely difficult. I click the application I want in the Start tiles, or in the quick launch, or the occasional All Apps. It's not something I've done for the last couple of decades so it's taken some practice!

Edge for sure consumes less energy while browsing as few things work using it lol.
Can you give some examples of sites that don't display properly?

Nah sorry, too long ago to remember exact sites. If I have time I'll boot up the Win10 to test it again.

I ran setup.exe. It was extremely complex, I had to click a thing in Rufus, then I had to double-click an icon. I'm still shocked that I made it this far, but I guess I'm just a trooper.
I'm pretty sure he referred to the extensive work and tweaking people are doing to alter the menus, disable the spyware etc.

Sad reality is that while doing those tweaks people usually break something (or Microsoft wanted something to break when you disable their spyware) and they come back here complaining about bluescreens and stuff.

I'm pretty sure he referred to the extensive work and tweaking people are doing to alter the menus, disable the spyware etc.

Sad reality is that while doing those tweaks people usually break something (or Microsoft wanted something to break when you disable their spyware) and they come back here complaining about bluescreens and stuff.
Oh, well there's a difference between "use Windows 10" and "use Windows 10 to what I personally believe qualifies in that regard." I click icons and run things. I haven't really deviated from that practice since when the Soviet Union still existed. If a person wants to invent their own flaming hoops to jump through that's fine, but it's also not my problem.

You do realize this forum is considered to be a place where [H]ardware enthusiasts hang out, right? Right? :D

That means people who don't just install shit and run with it - most would probably respond with "Where's the fun in that?" more often than not which is what I was referring to with my comment(s) above. To get Windows 10 to operate they way they want they're jumping through hoops that Microsoft keeps not only moving around but making smaller and smaller as time passes with these updates and the removal of some features that are basically part of the OS since day one.

While I do personally use and recommend the "Leave it alone" approach for most if not a great majority of users, not everyone follows that particular path and that's fine, YMMV is usually the best response when someone does.

But, if it makes 'em happy then whatever, I personally just don't jump through hoops 'cause they happen to be there, I have better things to do. Luckily with Windows 7 I have never had to do such bullshit and even now the absolute worst that I have to do myself is read up on what a new update is supposed to do and decide at that point whether to allow it or hide it so it never appears again because - tada! - I can actually do that with Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 10 where people are having updates forced on 'em more often than not (even if they're unaware of the actual different way things are done now).

If you don't like Windows 10, dont use it. There are other options. You have any flavor of linux you could ever want, you have Window 7 and 8/8.1 that dont even nag you anymore to upgrade. I mean there is literally 0 reason to post stuff like this anymore. People who use Windows 10 and like it will continue using it. People who don't like it will continue using whatever they run. I thought the amount of threads in this subforum with blatant clickbait articles would end when the free upgrade stuff ended, but I guess not.

Who do you think you are? I'll post whatever the fuck I like so long as it is ok with the mods. I do use Win8.1 but if I see interesting articles about Win10 I will post them, good or bad.

Who do you think you are? I'll post whatever the fuck I like so long as it is ok with the mods. I do use Win8.1 but if I see interesting articles about Win10 I will post them, good or bad.

pevSPn4.gif

Damn, crybaby much?

Anyone come across not being able to download Google Chrome? :LOL:
I can download anything possible on my Windows 10 install, except for Chrome. I've tried downloading the standalone file, and nothing... but anything else, no issue..
Even Google Drive for the desktop...
Conspiracy.. no way

I can download anything possible on my Windows 10 install, except for Chrome. I've tried downloading the standalone file, and nothing... but anything else, no issue..
Conspiracy.. no way

On my Surface Book I just tried this: Said "Hey Cortana, download Chrome." and the first link in the Bing results was the download page for Chrome, clicked that and then the Download button. No issues installing and no typing. Slick. Chrome was already installed on the device previously but the installer did run and Chrome was updated.

Conspiracy.. no way
After installing 10 Pro it wouldn't let me download it the first two times I tried through Edge, but the third time worked. No issues installing it. Now, though, 10 will regularly reset my default browser back to Edge...

Aside from that, the other day I stepped away from my computer for a bit and my monitor was turned off when I got back. One of the first things I do on a new install is change the power plan, including setting it to never turn my monitor off. Apparently 10 decided that it knows better than me and changed it to 15 minutes. This was after I had audited my changes after installing build 1511...

After installing 10 Pro it wouldn't let me download it the first two times I tried through Edge, but the third time worked. No issues installing it. Now, though, 10 will regularly reset my default browser back to Edge...

Aside from that, the other day I stepped away from my computer for a bit and my monitor was turned off when I got back. One of the first things I do on a new install is change the power plan, including setting it to never turn my monitor off. Apparently 10 decided that it knows better than me and changed it to 15 minutes. This was after I had audited my changes after installing build 1511...

Weird, but I was finally able to get it installed. This was on Windows 10 Pro, N version (Version 1511, Build 10586.494)..
Tried for weeks, and just for $hits & giggles tried again yesterday evening and it worked..

Does anyone know how to turn off the microsoft account nagging?

What exactly is that, is it now (since the Anniversary Update) continually prompting you to create or login to an Microsoft account (MSA)? If so, that's very interesting.

/me adds this new nagging notification to the continually growing list of hoops people keep jumping through to use Windows 10... ;)

What exactly is that, is it now (since the Anniversary Update) continually prompting you to create or login to an Microsoft account (MSA)? If so, that's very interesting.

/me adds this new nagging notification to the continually growing list of hoops people keep jumping through to use Windows 10... ;)
How about disabling the lock screen after the anniversary update. Does anyone know how to do that?

Are you an Enterprise aka business aka commercial aka governmental organization? If not then it doesn't apply to you or any other average Joe consumers.

Back