More Than 600,000 Macs Infected With Flashback Botnet

Following the recent Flashback malware developments for OS X where unpatched vulnerabilities in the latest Java runtime for OS X were being exploited, Apple has issued an update that brings Java up-to-date and patches these vulnerabilities.... The update is available only for OS X 10.6 and 10.7

LOL. I know whole companies (ok they're 10 people but still) that are on mac and haven't switched to Snow Leopard yet (due to software compatibility issues). With support like this no wonder Apple is dead in the corporate space.

LOL. I know whole companies (ok they're 10 people but still) that are on mac and haven't switched to Snow Leopard yet (due to software compatibility issues). With support like this no wonder Apple is dead in the corporate space.

Apple's whole design concept is based on planned obsolescence so you keep coming back and buying more :p

Apple is far to proprietary to make it easy for companies to upgrade its just not cost effective.

Sounds like an application issue and less like an OS problem.

Sounds like an application issue and less like an OS problem.

It's an OS issue when you won't even patch a critical vulnerability on an OS that was released less than 5 years ago, no matter what the users' reasons for not upgrading.

Zarathustra[H];1038577985 said:
Apple's whole design concept is planned so you keep coming back and buying more :p
With a slight rewording it all becomes clear...it's iCrack :p

Apple's whole design concept is based on planned obsolescence so you keep coming back and buying more :p

Meanwhile, I'm running Windows 7 on some systems that are 6 to 8 years old, while running custom apps that are over 15 years old. Most PC hardware only becomes obsolite when it's too slow to be useful.

Ha+ha+2.jpg

Pretty much sums it up :)

/end thread

Hardware wise, yea, it's superior. People don't belittle Macs without reason. They're overpriced pieces of tech that hide inferior hardware with sheets of white plastic and charge inflated prices.

I don't necessarily hate OSX, though. It feels and behaves like a dumbed down version of Linux which isn't a bad thing. What I do hate is that you can't do a god damn thing unless you've got Apple's permission.

I run a mac for day to day shit and a screaming fast PC for gaming that i treat like its a console.(only on when im playing games) Now what? Flat out, unless you are into gaming, OSX is the best desktop OS for most people. Until you use both daily side by side, i really dont see how you have a leg to stand on in this argument.

Surprised there's no ipad viruses out there yet.
Apple won't let you get a virus on your iPad. Which is a good thing... except there's alot of things Apple won't let you get on an iPad.

So pick your poison... personal freedom with responsibility, or a carefree existence with limited choices.

I run a mac for day to day shit and a screaming fast PC for gaming that i treat like its a console.(only on when im playing games) Now what? Flat out, unless you are into gaming, OSX is the best desktop OS for most people. Until you use both daily side by side, i really dont see how you have a leg to stand on in this argument.

If you're not into gaming then Linux is the best alternative. Also if you're not into Maya, 3DS Max, and Photoshop. Point is most people pretty much revolve their computing experience around the web browser.

Then again I am into gaming so therefore I use a Windows PC 100% of the time. I just visit Linux every so often when I hear about Windows 8.

I find OSX annoying to use, personally, but I have to admit it is is a pretty sleek experience.

The command line interface is a little weak, but its very remeniscent of the BSD it's based on, so that's not much of a surprise. (Linux is far superior here)

I have had some trouble though, especially with printer and accessory drivers (one particular set of drivers for an HP ink photo printer my wife used to have would never work right with my wife's early 2006 MBP. The funny part is the got the printer for free from the Apple store when buying the MBP, so they should have been checked if they worked well together :p )

I'm also disheartened by OSX's apparent security problems. They are probably not much worse than Windows, but the problem is that there is a void of applications to use to clean/scan for issues. Furthermore, it is really disturbing how easy they make it to reset the user password in OSX if you have physical access to the machine...

I'm not sure I'd call it the best desktop for most people, but I'd agree that it's nowhere near as bad as many say in here.

I'm not a regular user of both, but I use both my Wife's new MBP (late 2011 15") and her old one (early 2006 MBP) from time to time (and often do tech support on them).

I will say that hardware wise the early discrete MBP's were a disaster. Doing something as easy as replacing a hard drive took forever, and the way the hardware was laid out inside was not confidece instilling. Add to that the poor cooling that makes the fans run way too high all the time, and often risks over heating.

Thus far the late 2011 unibody is much better hardware wise (though still terribly overpriced for what you get.

I'm pretty disappointed that Apple has no intent on maintaining backwards compatibility though. The old MBP has a 32bit 1.8Ghz Yonah core in it, and because of this is unable to run Lion which is 64bit only. This means that once Snow Leopard exits support, it will no longer be able to get security patches, which is an annoyance.

Was this something that could have been avoided by simply having an up to date system? From what it sounds like, they were patching it reactively.
Most, if not all, Windows infections occur on non-patched system yet for some reason the same logic is not applied when we are talking about infected Windows machines.

If you're not into gaming then Linux is the best alternative. Also if you're not into Maya, 3DS Max, and Photoshop.
It would be wonderful if that were true. A free, open-source OS that has very nearly the same first-party and third-party software support OS X has? I'd sign up in a heartbeat. But it isn't true. It probably won't ever be true.

Linux is great for what it is, and it's a fun thing to play around with, but I'll never consider it as a viable alternative to Windows/OS X for people who really need to get work done.

It's an OS issue when you won't even patch a critical vulnerability on an OS that was released less than 5 years ago, no matter what the users' reasons for not upgrading.

It's called software obsolecence. I bet you're going to complain if Windows XP has a critical OS patch that MS doesn't support after it's been EOL too huh?

That is unfortunate. Apple really should offer a free anti virus like Microsoft Security Essentials.

OSX is decent as a desktop OS for Office work and of course Final Cut Pro but it can't play many games and the 3D software isn't quite there.

I haven't upgraded my OSX to Lion yet on my hackintosh but I'm looking at upgrading my machine soon so not really worth it.

Apple does make nice portable laptops like the Macbook Air but imo their desktops are kinda pointless you can make a better hackintosh for less money that is faster and has more ram.

I think this is only recently the case. The last two Ipads are glued together, and every part of the newer Macbook airs are soldered to the mainboard or some weird proprietary form factor; however older Macbooks like the venerable A1811 was easily user upgradable and not that hard to repair. All that aside, I doubt the average Macbook user had the savvy to take advantage of that with their pervasive "it just works" attitude.

I think this is only recently the case. The last two Ipads are glued together, and every part of the newer Macbook airs are soldered to the mainboard or some weird proprietary form factor; however older Macbooks like the venerable A1811 was easily user upgradable and not that hard to repair. All that aside, I doubt the average Macbook user had the savvy to take advantage of that with their pervasive "it just works" attitude.

They've found that they make far more money that way. Hardware wise the gadgets aren't superior to any alternatives but if you sell it as if they were and force people to go back to you for repairs/upgrades then you've made even more money.

My friend dropped his mac book and it popped out of its aluminum casing. When going back to the Mac store they charged him like $500 to fix it, which btw amounted to just snapping it back into place.

By controlling the repairs as well as all the hardware you can avoid creating competition that will undercut your own prices for your products. This is the price and we're the only ones who supply it :p

That is unfortunate. Apple really should offer a free anti virus like Microsoft Security Essentials.

OSX is decent as a desktop OS for Office work and of course Final Cut Pro but it can't play many games and the 3D software isn't quite there.

I haven't upgraded my OSX to Lion yet on my hackintosh but I'm looking at upgrading my machine soon so not really worth it.

Apple does make nice portable laptops like the Macbook Air but imo their desktops are kinda pointless you can make a better hackintosh for less money that is faster and has more ram.

http://www.clamxav.com/

It's called software obsolecence. I bet you're going to complain if Windows XP has a critical OS patch that MS doesn't support after it's been EOL too huh?

XP Won't be EOL until August 2014, more than 13 years after its launch.

Leopard went from launch to EOL in less than 4 years.

Not a big problem, cause you can always upgrade, right? Not if you have a PPC Mac you can't. 10.5 Leopard was the last version to support PPC.

So tons of people with otherwise fully functioning hardware have had their stuff reduced to junk status Apple. Really Not Cool..

My wife's 2006 MBP will be next when 10.6 Snow Leopard hits EOL, as 10.6 is the last version to support 32bit CPU's...

Apple is ruthless with its own customers. It's really surprising to me anyone remains their customer at all. I'd be pissed off and throw my PPC Mac through a window in Cupertino, and vow to never buy from that POS company again.

Zarathustra[H];1038579062 said:

Not a big problem, cause you can always upgrade, right? Not if you have a PPC Mac you can't. 10.5 Leopard was the last version to support PPC.

So tons of people with otherwise fully functioning hardware have had their stuff reduced to junk status Apple. Really Not Cool..

My wife's 2006 MBP will be next when 10.6 Snow Leopard hits EOL, as 10.6 is the last version to support 32bit CPU's...

Apple is ruthless with its own customers. It's really surprising to me anyone remains their customer at all. I'd be pissed off and throw my PPC Mac through a window in Cupertino, and vow to never buy from that POS company again.

Even Vista, which has been a rather short release for Microsoft will have extended support through April 2017, and it was launched 10 months before Leopard.

I'll admit that the XP lifespan has been a little longer than ideal at 13 years, but Vista gets 10 years. Leopard got less than 4.

If your PC came with Windows XP or Vista on it, you can always throw in some extra ram and upgrade to Win 7 or soon Win8. The PPC Leopard users are SOL now that Leopard is EOL, and 32bit x86 mac owners will be SOL when Snow leopard goes away (unless - of course - the happen to like Linux)

So basically, your system just automatically self destructs and is reduced to junk status / totaly unusuble. FUD for the win!

Zarathustra[H];1038579122 said:
Even Vista, which has been a rather short release for Microsoft will have extended support through April 2017, and it was launched 10 months before Leopard.

I'll admit that the XP lifespan has been a little longer than ideal at 13 years, but Vista gets 10 years. Leopard got less than 4.

If your PC came with Windows XP or Vista on it, you can always throw in some extra ram and upgrade to Win 7 or soon Win8. The PPC Leopard users are SOL now that Leopard is EOL, and 32bit x86 mac owners will be SOL when Snow leopard goes away (unless - of course - the happen to like Linux)

How often does Microsoft put out a new operating system compared to Apple?

So basically, your system just automatically self destructs and is reduced to junk status / totaly unusuble. FUD for the win!
What actually happens is that the millions of known and documented in-the-wild OS X viruses instantly swarm toward your machine, infecting it in horrible, unspeakable ways, and none of the OS's security features have any hope of defending against these infections. The entire system is instantaneously and entirely compromised. Only then does the hardware self-destruct and lose the entirety of any value it had prior, rendering it both unusable and unsellable.

That's a slight exaggeration, of course. What actually happens is nothing. Nothing at all. It's really very dramatic.

Zarathustra[H];1038579122 said:

I just don't quite understand this logic... is buying a new computer once every 5 years really that big of a deal? Obviously in an ideal world, you could install Windows 8 on an old i386, but this affects a true minority in the world. Yes I work with corporate customers who use 10+ year old computers running 14+ year old proprietary software but that is the exception, not the rule.

An operating system that doesn't get regular security patches as flaws in it are found is basically useless. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, and anyone who connects an out of support operating system to the network is pretty much an idiot.

I just don't quite understand this logic... is buying a new computer once every 5 years really that big of a deal? Obviously in an ideal world, you could install Windows 8 on an old i386, but this affects a true minority in the world. Yes I work with corporate customers who use 10+ year old computers running 14+ year old proprietary software but that is the exception, not the rule.

386's were in common use much longer ago than the time periods we are discussing. Noce job exaggerating.

I would agree that 5 years is probably a stretch for most computers, but you don't pay $3,000 new for most computers (like you did for a 2006 MBP when they were new). Furthermore, when I decide that my computer is too slow and it's time for me to upgrade should be MY choice, I should't be forced into it by the only officially supported operating system going into EOL after an unusually short period of time.

Unless you didn't buy at launch, and bough it a year or 2 later and are talking about buying a new computer in 3 years.

Besides, it's not like you can reuse some of the parts to build a new mac :)

When I upgrade my main system at home, the older parts end up being used to upgrade other family members systems. Quite a few of the parts are still in use 8 to 10 years later.

Same with the office. The main reason I've upgraded 8 year old systems to Windows 7 (that are still fine for basic office work), is that Windows 7 is more secure (and resistant to viruses) than XP. My main cost is the time to make the image, as the OS upgrade is covered under our license agreement with Microsoft.

Zarathustra[H];1038579348 said:
Furthermore, when I decide that my computer is too slow and it's time for me to upgrade should be MY choice, I should't be forced into it by the only officially supported operating system going into EOL after an unusually short period of time.
It is still your choice. Unless Apple physically pries the machine away from you or activates some sort of killswitch on it (which may or may not even exist), the call is entirely yours.

I have a PC, my wife has a macbook, I really don't understand why Mac owners say OSX is so great. I could come up with a pretty lengthy list on crap that has gone wrong with my wifes macbook, the list for whats gone wrong on my PC is much shorter. Then you get into functionality and I want to smash every apple employee in the sack, OSX is designed for people who want to be told how to do everything, and that also don't like many options.

Weren't the 2006 Macbooks based on Core2Duo processors? Unless Intel made some special 32-bit only C2D processors, then they are 64-bit compatible.

Weren't the 2006 Macbooks based on Core2Duo processors? Unless Intel made some special 32-bit only C2D processors, then they are 64-bit compatible.

The OG MBP's are based on Core Duo not C2D.

The OG MBP's are based on Core Duo not C2D.

That's why you don't buy first-gen products...

Sounds like you could always load windows 7 onto it still. Apple says it's not supported, but apparently it works fine.

[RIP]Zeus;1038579035 said:
600,000 Macs infected you say?

So is that every mac thats been bought? :D

My thought too. :D So much for "I bought a mac because you get no viruses on it.."

Back