More than 6,000 Games Released on Steam This Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad, more than 6,000 titles have debuted on Valve's marketplace since the beginning of the year. That's more than the 4,207 released in 2016, and almost as many titles as were release between Steam's launch in 2005 and 2015.

With over a month to go until the end of the year, it's almost certain this total will continue to rise to ludicrous levels. Time will tell whether Valve actually implements something to better police the number and quality of games being released on its platform in 2018.

Well, at least my Steam collection is nowhere near that. The pressure to play that back log would be immense.
They have a problem of shovelware on their hands now. There is a lot of bad stuff to wade through to find the good stuff. I wonder if any gems go by unnoticed? I glance at reviews before I buy anything. That will get the popular stuff. I tend to like indie games - but am not big on taking a chance on something with no history/reviews.

And 5900 of them were asset flip bullshit.
Was going to say only about 10 orso are worth playing, but that will do too.
So 5,950 shitty PC games are available on the PC platform.

Awesome.
Lots of people who don't know just how many games there are it seems. Here's a list of hundreds of PC games that came out in 2017 that are NOT asset flips, organized by genre:

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-games-2017/

Plenty more indie titles not on that list that just struggle to get seen that aren't shit also. The gaming press largely doesn't do its job in covering just how many games there are out there. Sure, plenty of that Steam list is likely garbage (and likely is still in the thousands and the majority), but to act like 50 or even 100 are the only good titles that came out is just ignorance. I would guess it's closer to 500 halfway decent titles, upwards of 1000.

Lots of people who don't know just how many games there are it seems. Here's a list of hundreds of PC games that came out in 2017 that are NOT asset flips, organized by genre:

Plenty more indie titles not on that list that just struggle to get seen that aren't shit also. The gaming press largely doesn't do its job in covering just how many games there are out there. Sure, plenty of that Steam list is likely garbage (and likely is still in the thousands and the majority), but to act like 50 or even 100 are the only good titles that came out is just ignorance. I would guess it's closer to 500 halfway decent titles, upwards of 1000.

My comment might have been exaggerated, but even if (and that's a big if) 500 are worth playing, that's not even 10%, and while I'm sure there are a lot of gems hidden in the depths of the steam library, a lot of those good games are simply not for me, you know, different tastes and all, but if i'm not too picky I might be able to find 50 that I would consider playing (which is not that bad, that would be 1/week which is more then I have time to play)

Also thanks for that link, it's an interesting read, though they should cut all games that are delayed to 2018 fom the list but that's beside the point.

My comment might have been exaggerated, but even if (and that's a big if) 500 are worth playing, that's not even 10%, and while I'm sure there are a lot of gems hidden in the depths of the steam library, a lot of those good games are simply not for me, you know, different tastes and all, but if i'm not too picky I might be able to find 50 that I would consider playing (which is not that bad, that would be 1/week which is more then I have time to play)

Also thanks for that link, it's an interesting read, though they should cut all games that are delayed to 2018 fom the list but that's beside the point.
Yeah, it's still pretty bad, I just get annoyed when people think there's only a handful of good games released a year and everything else is crap. We've honestly never had more choices for PC gaming and it's increasing all the time. Another link worth looking at is PC Gamer has a weekly ongoing article where they list 5 halfway decent games released on Steam each week that people might not have heard about:

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-steam-games/

They've had this going on since 2016, lots of stuff in there.

Overall I love Steam. Thanks to high speed internet and the self updates getting new games are pretty painless(other than prices) and just work.

However, I think I maybe bought a dozen and over half were just getting things on sale that I torrented years ago and wanted to buy legit.

I still check once a week or so, but it's rare anymore that anything really pops out to me.

hmmm, dusk looks like fun. i miss the old style kill fest games

And it's 90% indie trash. Freaking shovelware that has no place on the market. This is what happens when you pretty much let anyone put their crap on your storefront.

Back