More Rumors On Nintendo NX Controller “Gimmick”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some are also saying that Luigi’s Mansion 3 is in development. I must be completely out of it, since I forgot that even had a sequel.

The NX is going to have a screen controller (whether it's optional or standard I don't know) and can be used anywhere to play your home console games. The controller itself will not have any processing capabilities, it'll essentially be a dummy vita. It'll likely have basic OS functions to access the NX console from anywhere, like a tiny cpu. Nintendo will use enhanced Wii U gamepad streaming tech, and allow the controller to be taken anywhere, connect to the NX console at home (likely through Wi-fi or personal hotspots and the NX console will likely have to be in stand-by mode). Basically, it's remote play built into the box and won't require a $200 add-on to experience it.

I love the portable aspect of the WiiU controller. It was great being able to play on just the gamepad.

So it is going to double the price of the console, be big, cumbersome and have shitty battery life like the WiiU and yet somehow Nintendo still thinks this isn't a stupid decision?

i'm just going to refer to the NX as the Nintendo Dreamcast at this point.

Sounds like another console I won't be buying.
The kids still occasionally play the Wii, but couldn't justify the cost of the WiiU just to play a bunch of remakes.

So it is going to double the price of the console, be big, cumbersome and have shitty battery life like the WiiU and yet somehow Nintendo still thinks this isn't a stupid decision?

i'm just going to refer to the NX as the Nintendo Dreamcast at this point.

Kind of more like Nintendo's Genesis. Adding gimmick after gimmick.

wow another bunch of Nintendo haters.. never would have seen that coming....

wow another bunch of Nintendo haters.. never would have seen that coming....
It is actually the opposite. It is called being a nintendo Fan who just wants them to go back to producing amazing consoles that aren't handicapped by dumb "features" that jack up the price and make it less competitive. Nintendo literally hasn't produced a decent non gimmicky console since the Gamecube at this point. The wii got away with it because motion control was a novelty that people hadn't figured out sucked for actual gaming and it was cheap. The WiiU didn't get away with it because it was expensive. The NX Won't get away with it either. Nintendo continues trying to focus on trying to recreate the Wii, which was pretty much just dumb luck. They have and always have had amazing games, all they need to do is produce a console that competes hardware wise with Sony and MS and is cheaper than both. That will out sell the playstation and Xbox all day long.

It is actually the opposite. It is called being a nintendo Fan who just wants them to go back to producing amazing consoles that aren't handicapped by dumb "features" that jack up the price and make it less competitive. Nintendo literally hasn't produced a decent non gimmicky console since the Gamecube at this point.

How do they compete then? MS and Sony already lead on the technology front. Nintendo cannot realistically look to beat them on that front which the financial situation they are in. They have consistantly marketed themselves as a gaming "experience" company. The game selection is very slim, but in general I have not heard many players of those games complain. I am glad there is still a game console that young kids can play. It's getting harder to find games for young kids on Xbox and PS. Complicated controls, realistic violence and language because I don't know, why not.

Meanwhile my kid plays games like Splatoon and enjoys it.....gimicky interface and all.

Consider the battery life of the Wii U pad as a built-in timer to know you been playing too long :)

How do they compete then? MS and Sony already lead on the technology front. Nintendo cannot realistically look to beat them on that front which the financial situation they are in. They have consistantly marketed themselves as a gaming "experience" company. The game selection is very slim, but in general I have not heard many players of those games complain. I am glad there is still a game console that young kids can play. It's getting harder to find games for young kids on Xbox and PS. Complicated controls, realistic violence and language because I don't know, why not.

Meanwhile my kid plays games like Splatoon and enjoys it.....gimicky interface and all.

Consider the battery life of the Wii U pad as a built-in timer to know you been playing too long :)

The WiiU having the same power as the previous gen PS and Xbox wasn't it's downfall. It was the cost. Them matching the previous generations high end hardware and making it cheap combined with their games is a powerful selling point. It is why the Wii sold so well, I mentioned that in the part you cut out. Nintendo doesn't have to have the most cutting edge hardware to compete. If the WiiU had come out without the stupid gamepad around $250 like the Wii. They wouldn't have been able to keep that thing in stock.

Also it isn't hard finding kids games on the PS and Xbox. I have both in my house and my kids have zero trouble finding games they like. Right at this point the Wii is the only thing collecting dust due to age mostly. If they aren't on either the PS or Xbox they are on their 3ds. There is no lack of games in this house for kids. The only reason the WiiU became the first nintendo console I've never bought is price. It simply was a terrible value from the moment it was announced. All N had to do once they realize developers didn't give a damn about the pad was offer a version with 2 regular controllers for half the price and it would have sold like crazy. This argument has been posted over and over and over across blogs, media and youtube by tons of people who understand the industry very well. Nintendo just wanted to be obstinate about it despite the fact that almost everyone told them they were wrong and the sales numbers backed that up.

The amount of fail in this thread is lengendary...the Nintendo "Genesis", Nintendo doesn't have any cash, and the Wii U would have sold like hotcakes if it included two Wii remotes?

Does anyone even Nintendo?

The amount of fail in this thread is lengendary...the Nintendo "Genesis", Nintendo doesn't have any cash, and the Wii U would have sold like hotcakes if it included two Wii remotes?

My Nintendo Genesis comment was in regards to gimmick after gimmick being added to a console. Just let me play games without needing to use odd peripherals for controls. This is the reason I did not buy a Wii or WiiU. The last things Nintendo I had was the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance.

Yea, you know the thing that industry experts have been saying since the moment Nintendo introduced the WiiU, the thing that the numbers all back up. You call it fail, yet the only one failing is Nintendo. So you can be a fanboy and blindly ignore the truth, but that doesn't change the fact that the hard facts disagree entirely with you and nintendo's decisions.

My Nintendo Genesis comment was in regards to gimmick after gimmick being added to a console. Just let me play games without needing to use odd peripherals for controls. This is the reason I did not buy a Wii or WiiU. The last things Nintendo I had was the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance.

Which you could hook up to each other, and use the advance to control the gamecube, taking advantage of the screen on the advance as well. Sounds strangely familiar...

For anyone who hasn't purchased one and thinks they might be interested, there is enough A grade material to justify the WiiU's cost. There wasn't before, but there is now.

I'd love to see a next gen Nintendo that is twice as powerful as a PS4, comes bundled with new Mario and Zelda titles, and costs 200 bucks. It's stupid and unrealistic, but I'd still love it.

Dekoth-E- said:
Yea, you know the thing that industry experts have been saying since the moment Nintendo introduced the WiiU, the thing that the numbers all back up. You call it fail, yet the only one failing is Nintendo. So you can be a fanboy and blindly ignore the truth, but that doesn't change the fact that the hard facts disagree entirely with you and nintendo's decisions.

He was being dismissive, but there is a lot of bullshit in this thread already, fanboy or not. Nintendo has 900 Billion Yen in cash. That's not 'no cash'. But I agree, consoles that sell like the WiiU are a good way to make sure you lose that cash.

Last edited:
Which you could hook up to each other, and use the advance to control the gamecube, taking advantage of the screen on the advance as well. Sounds strangely familiar...

For anyone who hasn't purchased one and thinks they might be interested, there is enough A grade material to justify the WiiU's cost. There wasn't before, but there is now.

I'd love to see a next gen Nintendo that is twice as powerful as a PS4, comes bundled with new Mario and Zelda titles, and costs 200 bucks. It's stupid and unrealistic, but I'd still love it.

He was being dismissive, but there is a lot of bullshit in this thread already, fanboy or not. Nintendo has 900 Billion Yen in cash. That's not 'no cash'. But I agree, consoles that sell like the WiiU are a good way to make sure you lose that cash.

I am aware of what he was being, which is why I called him out on it. As someone who has been a fan of nintendo since I was a kid, It just irritates me when people show up and try to defend stupid decisions with the premise of (hur dur you must hate nintendo).

I know it's hard to belive, I still like the original Wii. The controllers remind me of the htc vive. What Nintendo should do is make better Wii controllers.

For those who don't read specs (and for shame on you!) The Wii U has the same tech as xbone and ps4, just scaled down a bit. Not "last gen" specs...

I am aware of what he was being, which is why I called him out on it. As someone who has been a fan of nintendo since I was a kid, It just irritates me when people show up and try to defend stupid decisions with the premise of (hur dur you must hate nintendo).

I am unaware of what you are calling me out on as I'm not defending anything Nintendo has done as that isn't my job, I don't work for them nor do I give any input in their business decisions . I just find it amusing people are criticizing the fails of Nintendo and they can't even get anything right, see Nintendo Genesis and that Nintendo doesn't have any cash. I found your post amusing since you stated the Wii U would have sold like hotcakes if they included Wii remotes. I am unaware of "industry experts" saying that the Wii U failed because they didn't include Wii remotes. That sounds very subjective and hardly quantitative at all.

I am unaware of what you are calling me out on as I'm not defending anything Nintendo has done as that isn't my job, I don't work for them nor do I give any input in their business decisions . I just find it amusing people are criticizing the fails of Nintendo and they can't even get anything right, see Nintendo Genesis and that Nintendo doesn't have any cash. I found your post amusing since you stated the Wii U would have sold like hotcakes if they included Wii remotes. I am unaware of "industry experts" saying that the Wii U failed because they didn't include Wii remotes. That sounds very subjective and hardly quantitative at all.

I didn't say Wii remotes, I said Regular controllers. The Wiimote wasn't much better, it just wasn't stupidly expensive. Oh and since you were living under the denial rock, experts have said since the beginning that the tablet controller that "Doubled the price" of the WiiU was the single biggest thing holding it back. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that eliminating said controller, halving the price of the machine and including normal controllers makes the WiiU far more marketable. The absolutely astonishing part is that Nintendo has seen this exact thing in action on their 3ds. When it first came out it was double the cost of their previous handheld and only sporting the "3d" feature that while neat wasn't exactly game changing. It sold miserably and got ripped in review after review. Now Nintendo knowing they couldn't afford to lose the handheld market as well, cut the price in half and instantly the 3ds started flying off the shelves. Since they don't have according to them the financial room to just cut the price of the WiiU, the controller needs to go.

This isn't terribly hard for anyone of decent intelligence and without a axe to grind to figure out. I'll go ahead and go on record here and say the same thing about the NX that I did about the WiiU at this point in development. If nintendo launches it with another tablet controller that doubles the price of the console and keeps it close to $400. It will absolutely fail as hard as the WiiU. Their only chance for success lies in launching a solid console, with no stupid gimmicks at a sub $300 day one price point.

For those who don't read specs (and for shame on you!) The Wii U has the same tech as xbone and ps4, just scaled down a bit. Not "last gen" specs...

A bit? It's CPU is weaker than the 360/PS3 and its GPU is only marginally more powerful than the two.

I look forward to the NX, the Wii U was a hell of a ride in business 101.

I didn't say Wii remotes, I said Regular controllers. The Wiimote wasn't much better, it just wasn't stupidly expensive. Oh and since you were living under the denial rock...

Still unaware where I denied this. A regular remote when discussing the Wii can be confused with a Wii remote. Anyone with decent intelligence should be able to understand this. But you've made your point, no since expounding on it further.

Back