More RAM or faster RAM?

Sc4freak

Limp Gawd
I currently have some pretty fast DDR2 in my computer. It is running 626mhz 4-4-3. But 1gb doesn't seem to be enough, I often have several programs open at once: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, 3DS Max, and several IE windows open. It eats up 1gb like nothing else. I have an extra 512mb DDR2 PC4200 4-4-4 here, and it is slow in comparison to my current RAM. Which would be faster for me? 1.5gb single-channel DDR2 533mhz 4-4-4, or 1gb dual-channel DDR2 626mhz 4-4-3?

In my opinion I don't see how you are going to notice the difference in these ram speeds if 1GB isn't enough for your image programs. You didn't mention any gaming.

Sounds like you need ram space over ram speed.

Dual Channel 1GB will always be faster than Single Channel 1.5GB escpically on a Pentium 4 platform.... which is a BANDWIDTH hungry mofo

Yeah, with 1.5gb it'll probably give you the same performance....you'll have the extra space, but it'll run slower, probably causing it to be just about the same...you'd be better off getting two 1gig sticks in dual channel, that way you'll have the speed AND the space.

Back