More On Fx5900xt

ProXie

Limp Gawd
okay quick question i heard a rumor that the nVidia GeForce FX5900XT is so big that along wiht hte AGP slot that it also goes over and kinda covers a PCI slot is that true and is it still worth getting i was thinking of ordering tonight so can i get some answers plz.

Also does it matter if i buy it from chaintech or ne other company when it comes with 128mb and 256bit

The 5900XT is a single slot card. It does not take up a PCI slot. And the PCI slots are BELOW the AGP port so it wouldn't matter how far it went OVER, it would never reach a PCI slot :).

The Chaintech doesn't perform as well as some of the others if you are looking to OC. The XFX is probably the best. I have the Gigabyte. Its pretty nice.

Personally i wouldn't buy a 5900XT. Order a 6800nu instead. You can get one for $299 and they are hella faster then a 9800XT or FX 5950. Search www.pricewatch.com for a store that has them in stock. Newegg has the Leadtek but i dont remember what Newegg was charging. They've been pooching the prices on everything else so check and see first.

burningrave101 said:
The 5900XT is a single slot card. It does not take up a PCI slot. And the PCI slots are BELOW the AGP port so it wouldn't matter how far it went OVER, it would never reach a PCI slot :).

I have to disagree here. I would say it matters more on your mother board and what you want to put in the PCI slot.
The 5900XT is a one slot card BUT it also sticks down a lot it seems at least the MSI one anyway.
I keep the PCI slot under my 5900XT open for 2 reasons. 1 is that on my mother board it could easily hit something in that PCI slot if it stuck up any at all. And also with that slot open the card will have better air flow.

So if you need all of your PCI slots you need to think about things some. Check out your MB and see how close the PCI slot is to the APG slot. See if the card you want in the PCI has anything sticking out of the top of it ( None of mine do but I have seen some that did) Then decided if the card will work.
Chances are if you get some other 1 slot card that is even newer than the 5900XT your going to have the same problem.

xfx 5900xt's take up 2 slots. not because the hsf is too big, but because the plate goes over the agp and pci slot (the part where you screw in)

I have mine overclocked to 463/934 stable!!! That is 6126 3d marks in 2003. I have a Vantec PCI fan that will cool this card better than almost any other card. That is becuase this card has its ram only on the front side under the heatsink.

Whoever dissed xfx5900xt is a moron. Best card for the money... Hands down.

Yeah it takes up 2 slots, even if it didnt cover the pci slot with a cover, it would still cover it with the heatsink. Yeah the heatsink is huge, and it makes it one most easily overclockable cards on the market

How did you flash it to 5950? Please give me a link or something. Do you have any cooling mods done to the card? Is is supper fucking hot at that temp?

Wow i thought I pushed it the farthest or something ;p

I beat you could push it even farther with the Vantec PCI fan card.

Toad21 said:
Lancer Jay your lieing. Show some proof!

umm...okay, i guess i'll prove it to you. i gotta bump up the clocks again though, since i don't run those on a daily basis. and i'll take some screenshots for ya.

Here are the pics:

I even raised the memory clock a little:

riva.jpg

3dmark03_speeds.jpg

Here's my score after benchmarking:

3dmark03_scores.jpg

a little side note: my card is currently running at agp4x, i haven't taken the time to figure out how to get it back. i know it has something to do with my flash to 5950u BIOS. I would change it back to the default bios but i no longer have it and i run into some issues trying to get it back. before i did the flash i was able to achieve 6700 points in 3dmark03.

Nice! I was wrong. What brand of card do you have? And that is a regular 5900 right?

Ok I will try to overclock with rivatuner sunday and let you know how high it goes. I used coolbits to overclock it to 463/934, and we have the same card. I use a Vantec pci fan to cool my card, so maybe I can go even higher than you ;p

i have the vantec pci fan too...i also have arctic silver 5 on my gpu. i would have it on my ram too but i swear those heatsinks are impossible to take off without taking the whole ram chip with it.

My last 3 cards have been Gainward Golden Sample versions. With this 5900xt I am currently clocked to 5950 Ultra specs.(Standard 128meg version, no softmod). And I still think theres a little more left in it. I am useing a Card Cooler blowing at it from above.

Well the highest I could get it with rivatuner was 470/939. Did you increase the AGP voltage or anything? And how hard was it to take off the heatsink to put the artic silver on?

don't raise the agp voltage, you'll hurt the card and probably the agp port along with it. if you want to add more voltage you have to look into the volt mods. if you search around i'm sure you'll find some instrutctions on how to do it. i wouldn't recommend it since it requires some experience with soldering and electronics, but i've never done it myself so i don't know the difficutly of it. sounds pretty easy if you know what you're doing.

taking the heatsink off is very easy. i believe my card using little plastic pins to hold it in. you just gotta push it out through the back. if you have no experience with arctic silver 5 or thermal compound then i would recommend looking around for some manuals on how to clean and apply it properly. and also take all the precautions you can to avoid ESD (i believe the acronym is electro-static discharge). and keep in mind, taking off the heatsink and overclocking/flashing voids your warranty.

Back