More Intel Coffee Lake Chip Details Leaked Ahead Of 2018 Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The 14nm process refinement continues with Coffee Lake, and new information suggests that the lineup will comprise four series: U and H for laptops and mobiles, and S and X for desktops. The X, S, and H series are expected to have 6 cores.

Coffee Lake chips for mobile devices, meanwhile, are 14nm chips that are coming in early 2018 and they’re expected to come in 15 watt, 28 watt, and 45 watt variants. Desktop versions are likely to have even higher TDPs. And now BenchLife.info has uncovered some additional details about the upcoming Coffee Lake chips. Intel is expected to release Coffee Lake-U and Coffee Lake-H series chips for laptops and other mobile devices, as well as Coffee Lake-S and X series processors for desktops. One of the most intriguing changes it the addition of 6-core processors in the Coffee Lake-X, S, and H series processors, potentially in an attempt to better compete with rival AMD’s upcoming Zen chips (which will be available with up to 8 CPU cores).

I'm confused too. It sounds like the early 10nm chips will only be low-power smaller dies and they are continuing with 14nm AFTER that for the real chips.

I have people I can personally ask about this. If they tell me anything will be another story

I think I've figured it out:

Kaby Lake-S desktop in Q1'17 along with the 200 series motherboard chipset (Z270) on socket 1151 with GT2 graphics (iGPU hardware acceleration for HEVC/VP9 added).
Kaby Lake-X the "unlocked K" desktop processors brought up to HEDT in early Q3'17 with the launch of Skylake-X.
Skylake-X (6-10 core) desktop HEDT, arriving in early Q3'17 on a new socket (LGA2066) to replace Broadwell-E (support for octane 3d xpoint NVDIMM ram?).
Cannonlake-U (4 core) 10nm for laptops in late 2017 (node shrink of kabbylake) with GT2 graphics.
Coffeelake-S (4-6 core) Q1'18 - 14nm desktop version of Cannonlake (tock from Kaby Lake-S) with GT3e graphics (48EU's, twice as many as GT2) and 300 series motherboard chipset.
Coffeelake-X (6 core) Q3'18 - the "unlocked K" desktop processors brought up to HEDT with GT3e graphics.
Kaby Lake-X (6-10 core) Q3'18 desktop HEDT on LGA2066.
Icelake-S is the new architecture plus 10nm arriving sometime Q4'18 to Q1'19.

Cannonlake 10nm was supposed to come to the desktop, but because of the GT3e on die graphics, they have to keep it at the 14nm node. So they're naming the Cannonlake(10nm) and Coffeelake(14nm) branches separately.

Last edited:
I think I've figured it out:

Kaby Lake-S desktop in Q1'17 along with the 200 series motherboard chipset (Z270) on socket 1151.
Kaby Lake-X the "unlocked K" desktop processors brought up to HEDT in early Q3'17 with the launch of Skylake-X.
Skylake-X (6-10 core) desktop HEDT, arriving in early Q3'17 on a new socket (LGA2066) to replace Broadwell-E (supports 3d xpoint storage and ram).
Cannonlake-U (4 core) 10nm for laptops in late 2017 (node shrink of kabbylake) with GT2 graphics.
Coffeelake-S (4-6 core) Q1'18 - 14nm desktop version of Cannonlake (tock from Kaby Lake-S) with GT3e graphics and 300 series motherboard chipset.
Coffeelake-X (6 core) Q3'18 - the "unlocked K" desktop processors brought up to HEDT with GT3e graphics.
Kaby Lake-X (6-10 core) Q3'18 desktop HEDT on LGA2066.
Icelake-S is the new architecture plus 10nm arriving sometime Q4'18 to Q1'19.

Cannonlake 10nm was supposed to come to the desktop, but because of the GT3e on die graphics, they have to keep it at the 14nm node. So they're naming the Cannonlake(10nm) and Coffeelake(14nm) branches separately.

Hmmm, Wonder if my Westmere-EP (X5660 Xeon) will last until icelake-S or icelake-X. X58 is getting long in tooth, I have USB 3.0 but dont have support for NVME, PCIE 3.0, or USB 3.1. Hope I can make it another 2 years. It should be a pretty substantial upgrade then.

Seeing as how I just bought a skylake 6600k earlier this year... I can't see needing to uprade till probably 2020 if the track record of my 2500k says anything.

Upgrade in the Spring or wait until 2018? Damn. Always going to be something better around the corner, but I like that 6 cores.

I'll probably do it in the Spring.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Upgrade in the Spring or wait until 2018? Damn. Always going to be something better around the corner, but I like that 6 cores.

I'll probably do it in the Spring.
Im in exactly the same boat... There are aspects that are pushing me downto a partial rebuild all around the mobo (its partially damaged)...
I was lookiing at getting a Kaby Lake around march and a min of 16gig DDR4

Very interesting...I wonder what the differentiating characteristics of Coffee Lake 14nm and Cannon Lake 10nm will be. Seems a bit odd to spit out a 10nm uArch first, then seemingly take a step backwards by releasing a 14nm refresh at a later date.

Think I'll hold off for the 10nm parts for both my desktop upgrade and next laptop.

Thanks, looks good. I, for one, welcome Intel Coffeelake with unlocked Keurig technology.

Is the new socket called the K-Cup?

Yeah I will be looking to early summer for an much needed upgrade. i have been holding out for a good while and while every thing still runs very well sometimes it's just time to move forward. 6 cores would be a great improvement as i do a lot of video processing these days.

Back