More HDCP back-pedalling from ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.
roaf85 said:
I think the problem lies more in the displays not supporting HDCP. HDCP is here to stay when? FCC has already moved back the deadline for analog boardcasts to stop how many times?

The transistion period for people moving to high def is going to be how long when the people of America are already taking so long to move to High Def in the living room.

Theres no rush...people don't really 'want' high def...t.v. companies like Microsft, etc...have to make them want it...that's how marketing works.

DukenukemX said:
We don't need to accept anything. The only reason to have a Blu-ray or HD-DVD disk is to have HD quality video. Which we've had.

I guess I should clarify since apparently you don't get it. If you want any new HD content like popular movie releases you will have to accept HDCP if you want to view it in full 1080p resolution. No movie studio is going to give you the option of watching their content in 1080p without jumping through the hoops they've established.

I can't see either Blu-ray of HD-DVD work. HDCP is going to effect other components beyond computers. For example not all HDTV TVs or projectors are HDCP complaint either. It would really suck to have spent all that money getting a large HDTV only to be left out of the HD quality just because of something as silly as HDCP.

Sorry, one of these formats will win (and Bluray is just about the sure bet). Yes, it does suck that not all HDTVs being sold are HDCP-compatible, especially lots of older models.

Don't be surprised if someone creates another format that will display HD quality video that won't have these drawbacks. It won't be piracy free but at least people with HDTV's and PC's that can display 1920x1080 resolution won't need to buy new hardware just to get it to work

Frankly, you're dreaming if you think another format (and I hope you aren't thinking a disc format here) is gonna come around and be able to display your favorite Bluray/HD-DVD movies in full resolution (legally, that is). Also, being able to display 1920x1080 means jack when it comes to high-def movies. If your tv/monitor is only 1280x720 you're still going to see a difference.

Worst case scenario is that everybody illegally downloads HD videos. Which will happen if HDCP is really enforced. I can guarantee you there will be lots of legal battles. At some point someone is going to giving a bill.

If HDCP is really "enforced", then no, you probably won't be seeing illegal downloads of HD movies anywhere unless it is cracked and we can't really speculate on the likelyhood of that happening right now since Bluray/HD-DVD movies aren't out yet.

Also I doubt there will be any early adopters. The idea with these new formats is to have better security over their content. What good is this going to do if only the early adopters are going to buy this for 3 years? Don't be surprised if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players will be $200 when they start selling this stuff.

Uh, ok. I don't know what you mean with that $200 price since the first standalone players will be costing $500-$1000. And yes, people will still buy them at this price.

As far as having only early adopters buying this for 3 years... there's this thing called Playstation 3 coming out that will have Bluray playback built-in. I hope you know how well Sony sells Playstations because BR built into PS3 is basically going to ensure that Bluray wins over HD-DVD and that the format is not doomed to living in a niche.

Dispite that 99% of the people who buy these players will hook it up anolog and get the same quality as a DVD player.

Look, no one is forcing you to start watching movies in HD. If you are happy with DVD quality, then by all means go ahead and keep using that. Plain 'ol DVDs are still going to be made for years to come after Bluray and HD-DVD drop this Spring.

But, if you want to take advantage of HD formats like Bluray and HD-DVD you will need to play by the rules that have been layed out and this means having HDCP-compatible hardware. I don't like it either, but those are the breaks (for now).

Also, I just want to clear something up about the whole "FCC stopping analog broadcasts in year-whatever" (2009 IIRC). This really doesn't have anything to do with HDCP. Yes, analog broadcasts will stop but I seriously doubt everything will have moved to HD in 3 years so you'll still get your standard definition broadcasts, just they won't be using analog spectrum. It doesn't really matter anyways as HD broadcasts now do not require HDCP at all and I can go over to my HD cable box and start recording in full 1080i resolution if I felt like it.

Isn't the core R580 core capable of HDCP, but the actual board itself isn't? That was my understanding of it. Thats why it was listed on the X1900XTX technology page, but not the card page? Am I making sense?

Why are people pointing fingers at ATI? Do you guys even know if HDCP is backward compatible or even useful on windows XP? Can these Nvidia HDCP cards work on a standard monitor?

ATI is saying they can do it for all these chipsets If sony wanted to team up with them then sony would have gotten ATI HDCP cards. Since no one teamed up with ATI why should they bother making the card if no one seems to care for them?

Also ATI has awesome drivers... What if it's all in a driver update?

A few summarizing points:

1. No manufacturer can have a true HDCP complaint card right now, since the standard is not finalized.

2. Making compliant cards will require more than a firmware upgrade. Hardware changes will be required.

3. In order to utilize HDCP compliant cards, your monitor will ALSO have to be HDCP-compliant. Hope everyone is ready to junk their LCDs.

4. Eventual owners of HDCP cards with only DVI ports are especially screwed, as the HDCP standard will black out the screen. Their only other option is component outputs.

5. The committee finalizing the HDCP standard has not even finalized what they consider "high bandwidth" as of yet. They could theoretically make 480p "high bandwidth".

6. Boxes to fool the HDCP-compliant card into thinking an approved device is hooked up can be disabled by the device-renewability aspect of the standard.

I don't give a crap about HDCP, I personally just won't buy movies that use them.

Polarhound said:
A few summarizing points:

6. Boxes to fool the HDCP-compliant card into thinking an approved device is hooked up can be disabled by the device-renewability aspect of the standard.

step 1) hack PS3
step 2) use its unique signature
step 3) they'd end up having to disable ALOT of ps3's as a side effect.

alternative...buy asian market players. they probably will ignore HDCP.

omega-x said:
step 1) hack PS3
step 2) use its unique signature
step 3) they'd end up having to disable ALOT of ps3's as a side effect.

alternative...buy asian market players. they probably will ignore HDCP.

We can always count on Asian markets... which is why i'm not that worried right now.

4. Eventual owners of HDCP cards with only DVI ports are especially screwed, as the HDCP standard will black out the screen. Their only other option is component outputs.

Lots of hyperbole going around here.

My TV has HDCP capable DVI, the HDMI lead is just DVI with a different connector and both connectors can support the encryption.

And you'd better hope that it does work as the whole EU based "HD Ready" initiative is geared around the fact that you can display 720p or 1080i images on your screen and recieve HDCP broadcasts and in about 6-12 weeks I will be recieving HDCP from my new high definition satellite so your point about it not being ratified would seem a bit fishy, again because consumer services will be using it in a few scant weeks.

Entropy said:
Isn't the core R580 core capable of HDCP, but the actual board itself isn't? That was my understanding of it. Thats why it was listed on the X1900XTX technology page, but not the card page? Am I making sense?

more sense than the dailytech article :)

I believe all Nvidia & ATi cores [with integrated 165mhz TMDS]since 2003 are HDCP compliant. The actual boards need the securom (I think that's the right term) installed to make them HDCP ready.

Since this an ATI-centric issue and there is already a thread in the ATI subforum about this, I am going to give this the lock. Feel free to continue this discussion in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back