More Hawken Gameplay Footage

This looks great. What would be even better is if you could camo your mech to transform back to a turret to remain undetected, but immobile. Or what would be really cool, is if if the buildings could sustain damage and drop debris or even be demo'ed completely to use as weapons against your opponents. The whole environment should be destroyable. That would be sick.

Can you see barraging the lower floor of a buildings supports and watching it collapse? Nice.

This should be a requirement for mech games. If you can make a tree fall down and crush soldiers, you should be able to do the same with a skyscraper.

Reminds me of Shogo btw where is my Shogo 2 id pay good money for that

While it's true that the gameplay isn't quite the same, the video definitely made me think of the days when I was playing Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

I hear Fear 3 is coming out with some mech warfare... which seems to be way more fps than this. I would kill for a true mechwarrior redue

It's called MWLL, a total conversion mod for Crysis Wars

Bring a healthy PC so you can crank up the visuals, looks amazing at CCC 3.0 level 4+ or Screenshot setting and prepare to be amazed

Recommend this game only if you want to drive people away from the MW franchise.

This game looks pretty cool. The animations and sound effects are of very high quality. Does have a bit of a derp-factor look to the gameplay, just a little, but overall it looks very promising. Now, with the official Mechwarrior remake being stalled by copyright issues, I'm happy to see a game like this on the horizon.

Recommend this game only if you want to drive people away from the MW franchise.

This game looks pretty cool. The animations and sound effects are of very high quality. Does have a bit of a derp-factor look to the gameplay, just a little, but overall it looks very promising. Now, with the official Mechwarrior remake being stalled by copyright issues, I'm happy to see a game like this on the horizon.

What are you talking about? MWLL is the best and only somewhat current game engine based Mechwarrior game. The devs have been very busy working on something while Harmony Gold/Smith&Tinker/others involved fight back and forth......... The MW Franchise? Sounds like you just had a bad experience. Just because you do doesn't mean everyone else will. Care to elaborate?

This game with the frostbite 2 engine and some work on the movement and damage to the mech like blowing limbs off would be a treat. As is, I think it will be a console port.

What are you talking about? MWLL is the best and only somewhat current game engine based Mechwarrior game. The devs have been very busy working on something while Harmony Gold/Smith&Tinker/others involved fight back and forth......... The MW Franchise? Sounds like you just had a bad experience. Just because you do doesn't mean everyone else will. Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate? Look who's playing it. Handful of people at any given time. The game isn't fun and it's not a good representation of a Mechwarrior game in general. Where's the Mechlab? Sorry you're butthurt I said a game that is barely played is barely played for good reason.

Care to elaborate? Look who's playing it. Handful of people at any given time. The game isn't fun and it's not a good representation of a Mechwarrior game in general. Where's the Mechlab? Sorry you're butthurt I said a game that is barely played is barely played for good reason.

Sure it's a niche community right now, depending on times. But doesn't mean it's not fun, although that's a subjective opinion. They will have a Mechlab sometime. It's not like they haven't been doing stuff, they've changed a lot since I last played (6 months ago). Sorry you're so butthurt that you don't like it.

The pics on their site look awesome. Does anyone have a non youtube link to the video? Stupid content filters....

I agree, but honestly I am still looking forward to this, it looks like it will be fun!

+1

I've not been heavily into mech titles, but this does actually look like fun, and I love the gritty but detailed visuals, the fast pace and, from what I can see, the level design actually looks pretty damn cool.

Eyefinity would be beneficial in this game.

Doubt it, eyefinity would hurt it. Same reason that twitch FPS games (Quake Unreal) are all played at the top levels with a low resolution (800x600 is considered high) and all details stripped out completely to where it's just walls. A larger field of view won't help you and it will distract you from your target, it's disadvantage, focus on one thing and use audio for the rest.

OMG!
don't say MECHWARRIOR!!
Harmony Gold will hear you and drowned this so deep in litigation that it will fade from human memory!

It's not Mechwarrior that they'll get you for but rather anything Robotech / Macross related. That being said anything Mechwarrior that uses some of the same mechs, do indeed fall under the hammer of Harmony Gold. There is a cross licensing agreement for the likenesses of many of the mechs to be shared back and fourth just as they had a cross license with Hasbro for the use of the VF-1S Valkyrie which was used as the "Jetfire" toy. Though that likeness was never used in the animated series for fear of confusing children who watched both Robotech and Transformers.

You guys that b1tch about it not being a "true mech" game are insane. Just be happy this game is coming, from an indie dev, and will be aimed at an interested market. The game looks good and is what 'mech' games should be. Not lumbering around, slowly looking for your enemy... :rolleyes:

Kinda funny someone mentioned Tribes because I was reminded of Starsiege, which was the prequel game to tribes, or at least occurred sometime before the Tribes timeline.
Good catch, I loved Starsiege. Filled the niche while Mechwarrior was in court imposed hiatus with the next gen of graphics.

Hawken reminds me of Battlezone multiplayer, hope those mechs are customizable.

Kinda funny someone mentioned Tribes because I was reminded of Starsiege, which was the prequel game to tribes, or at least occurred sometime before the Tribes timeline.
Good catch, I loved Starsiege. Filled the niche while Mechwarrior was in court imposed hiatus with the next gen of graphics.

Hawken reminds me of Battlezone multiplayer, hope those mechs are customizable.

The modding in Starsiege Tribes was what was amazing and addicting. I loved all the mods people came up with in Tribes 2 like Construction, War2003, Meltdown. There were also a few mech mods, I forgot their names though but there was an amazing Mechwarrior mod for Tribes 2 with weapon upgrades, different suits, special weapons. It was an incredible mod.

You guys that b1tch about it not being a "true mech" game are insane. Just be happy this game is coming, from an indie dev, and will be aimed at an interested market. The game looks good and is what 'mech' games should be. Not lumbering around, slowly looking for your enemy... :rolleyes:

Your comment is pretty much like saying "Hey guys, don't complain about a lack of interesting, deep FPS experiences when you've got Halo!" Makes no sense.

And who's to say what a mech game "should be" other than looking at previous ones (e.g. the Mechwarrior series)? Based on that, it *should* be about slowly (sometimes more quickly if you have a light mech) stalking your opponent. Mechs are like gigantic walking tanks, they're not meant to be fast, they're meant to take a lot of punishment.

Don't get me wrong, the graphics look pretty great in this game and it looks like it could fairly easily turn into a true mech game, but putting mechs in a fairly standard-looking fast-paced FPS doesn't make it a "mech" game.

The game looks freakin awesome. Graphics are great. I really like the sound design. Reminds me of a cross between District 9 and Transformers.

Glad to see that there are devs out there that want to deliver faster paced mech games.

Just to set the record straight. Hawken is a true mech game. It's not a true Mechwarrior/Battletech game as it doesn't have Battlemechs in it.

Now can someone start making an Appleseed game?

The game looks freakin awesome. Graphics are great. I really like the sound design. Reminds me of a cross between District 9 and Transformers.

Glad to see that there are devs out there that want to deliver faster paced mech games.

Just to set the record straight. Hawken is a true mech game. It's not a true Mechwarrior/Battletech game as it doesn't have Battlemechs in it.

Now can someone start making an Appleseed game?

It may or may not feature heavy customization which is implied / required in a Battletech game, but that doesn't make it anything other than it is; A mech game. If you require slow clunky "mech like" controls than this may not be the game for you. I'm hoping for something more like Shogo with quick and easy controls which allow you to concentrate more on the game than controlling the mech itself.

It may or may not feature heavy customization which is implied / required in a Battletech game, but that doesn't make it anything other than it is; A mech game. If you require slow clunky "mech like" controls than this may not be the game for you. I'm hoping for something more like Shogo with quick and easy controls which allow you to concentrate more on the game than controlling the mech itself.

The faster the better. I'd even drop the jump jets completely for sustained flight. Hopefully there will be some deep customization.

Mechs slow and clunky? Gundam begs to differ...

Huge difference between Battle Mechs (like as in Mechwarrior) and Mobile Battle Suits (armored suits in the form of a human)

Battle Suit, which is much closer to Hawken style

http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/40781-9/IMG_1731.jpg

Battlemech, which is what you see people referring to as true Mechs

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/9/8528/67764.jpg

For what people refer to as true mechs see the Sarna site

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

What we see in hawken are not 80 Ton Battlemechs with a 35mph top speed....essentially a walking tank, which describes a Battlemech.

What we see portrayed in Hawken are the smaller much faster more agile Battle Suits, very small in comparison and light weight. There were light class mechs but the way the Hawken machines move about is not what most Mechwarrior fans would agree to be a mech.

I'm not considering a guy who liked Mechwarrior 2 to be a mechwarrior fan. The guy who still plays the board game, and reads the novels, etc.....thats your Mechwarrior fan

Looks awesome, I'll pre-order this one, more action and fast pacing, kinda has an anime feel about the visuals.

Your comment is pretty much like saying "Hey guys, don't complain about a lack of interesting, deep FPS experiences when you've got Halo!" Makes no sense.

And who's to say what a mech game "should be" other than looking at previous ones (e.g. the Mechwarrior series)? Based on that, it *should* be about slowly (sometimes more quickly if you have a light mech) stalking your opponent. Mechs are like gigantic walking tanks, they're not meant to be fast, they're meant to take a lot of punishment.

Don't get me wrong, the graphics look pretty great in this game and it looks like it could fairly easily turn into a true mech game, but putting mechs in a fairly standard-looking fast-paced FPS doesn't make it a "mech" game.

No, what it should be is exactly as the devs desire it to be. Anything less is living in someone else's shadow. That does not appear to be what they're aiming for. If they fall flat and we get another 'Halo' then the community reacts. Stop the proactive whine and if it bothers you that much then go make your own damn game. :rolleyes:

No, what it should be is exactly as the devs desire it to be. Anything less is living in someone else's shadow. That does not appear to be what they're aiming for. If they fall flat and we get another 'Halo' then the community reacts. Stop the proactive whine and if it bothers you that much then go make your own damn game. :rolleyes:

Ironic coming from someone who started off by whining about the whining... :rolleyes: right back at ya.

Anyway, I never said the game should be anything. If the devs want this to be Halo with mechs, that's fine. I simply said that if they were attempting to make a "true mech" game (your words, by the way), then they would be looking at past examples of such a game, whereas this game is, to me, (and several others it seems) more like a fast-paced FPS in a mech suit. Which is cool, but without limb damage, overheating, and the things that make other mech games unique, I don't see where this could be called a "true mech"game.

Also note that my very first post was simply that "Well, looks cool, but I wish we had a true Mechwarrior sequel". I never said this game was going to suck, but from what I've seen so far it's not really anything like Mechwarrior.

I just dont have a fancy for Mech games anymore, even though this one looks badass!

QFT

It's an FPS inside robots. If Nintendo came out with Super Mario Mecha Party, would everyone be bitching about how it wasn't Mechwarrior? Well, probably they would. :D

But I don't have Crysis Wars. I played this mod on Crysis in its early stages and it was pretty good but was MP only. Now it moves to CW so won't be playing it at all I guess.

Actually the most recent version supports both Crysis and Crysis Wars. Though I've never been able to get the mod to run at all.

Oh, guess I am still in then. I uninstalled it long ago because it is a complete conversion of Crysis and I never did finish Crysis, still haven't so will wait to do that before installing it again.

But I don't have Crysis Wars. I played this mod on Crysis in its early stages and it was pretty good but was MP only. Now it moves to CW so won't be playing it at all I guess.

The move to Wars was an improvement, Warhead/Wars is all of $12-15 depending on if you get it new or used or through digital download like direct from EA.

Actually the most recent version supports both Crysis and Crysis Wars. Though I've never been able to get the mod to run at all.

They have a very active forum community considering such a small group of around 100 active people. What kind of trouble? Don't waste too much time if you don't have Wars though. Crysis support is done, next version won't support it, and from what I understand there's almost no servers to play on anymore on the Crysis version.

Seen a few vids of this game over the past several months, and I gotta say I'm pretty excited for it. I'm loving the fast-paced combat and the visual design. Coming from a small game dev team is something I can really appreciate too. They've made a lot of progress in about 9 months with 9 people. I heard this game is multiplayer only. I would have liked a nice single-player campaign as well, doesn't even have to be long, but I read an interview that said they wanted to do an SP campaign but that would add to the development time (they wanted to get this game out quick), and if they did one they would want to do it right and not half-ass it by haphazardly throwing some missions together. Read they are sticking with DX9. Game still looks impressive as hell. Can't wait for the game to come out so I can at least check it out. I want to see how big the combat environments will get. Am I wrong in assuming that this game will be budget-priced since it is coming from an indie game developer?

Back