More bad 3870 cards seems normal now.

crewzen

Gawd
Real tired of AMD/ATI this is the third bad 3870 card now. The first two the fans were running backwards and now this pile of junk that just crashes all the time. Will not run Dream scene without crashing. How it runs anything else I can not find out before it crashes. I have had it with Sapphire and ATI.

My 1950 pro will work just great but 3870 is real slow and crashes. bad

ATI go to hell.

The fan is pulling air in through the back of my computer where all the other fans exit hot air. This should be the fan exit. But it isn't and it is running hot and slo. So I just talked to NewEgg and they agreed to a cash refund. So long ATI/AMD I will now get an nvidea card either an 8800 gtrs 512 or something next month.

The fan is pulling air in through the back of my computer where all the other fans exit hot air. This should be the fan exit. But it isn't and it is running hot and slo. So I just talked to NewEgg and they agreed to a cash refund. So long ATI/AMD I will now get an nvidea card either an 8800 gtrs 512 or something next month.

There is no way the fan could pull the air from back of the case. Even when the fan is spinning in the other direction, it should not pull air from the back of the case, what would really happen when the fan is spinning in the other direction is the air flow would be slower with the same fan speed. It is impossible for the fan to pull air from back of your computer due to the centrifugal force.

Then explain to me this. When I place a strip of thin and light weight paper covering the vent slot it is sucked onto the exit vent. That my friend is not exhaust that is intake.

I know how squirl cages are to work, this one is not working. I also looked inside while the fan was working and the intake is an exhaust. I hold a small piece of paper over the intake hole and it blows the paper away from the intake hole. So now it is an exhaust hole.

It isnt supposed to be able to do that but it is doing it. This is the second one to do it nowl

Now my other 3870 card by gigabyte is working correctly and runs cool.

I put my x1950 Pro back in and Dream Scene runs again. Another problem with the 3870 it can't do 1920 x 1200. What a waste because the x1950 can.:mad:

Thanks to NewEgg for going to give me my money back. Great company:cool:

From my experience, sapphire has been terribly unreliable. I think that was normal since before the 3870.

did you properly install drivers?

is your PSU large enough to handle your card?

I have a sapphire card and it works just fine for me (3870)

LOL

Centrifigal fans can NOT push air backwards. It's impossible.

Guys, just take a look at his post history, it speaks for itself. Nothing to see here, move along.

yes I removed all trace of ati and then rebooter 2 times to make shure that everything was gone. VGA only . Then installed and would act real slugish and slo the system down real bad. So I removed all traces of the 3870 and installed my x1950 and the 1950 works great but not the 3870 its junk and this is the second one. I also installed my gigabyte 3870 and it works. But not the Sapphire 3870.

I know what it should not do but it is doing what is shouldn't.

I have the RMA already and it's going back. I will run my x1950 pro for a while until the next gen nVidea comes out. I am just giving up on ATI right now. That was hard I have 6 ATI cards right now that work in other computers that I have purchased in the last 6 months. So yes I prefer ATI or did prefer ATI but will try nVidea now. It's just a shame that you can't get good cards for you workstation anymore without going to the high end $2,000.00 cards.

so what I got out of it if you've rma'd 2 cards now for no reason? Thanks for driving up prices for me! :)

Well you can have them. I am going to wait for something worth while to get from now on.

Not the junk they are throwing at us now. Unless they get some real cooling on these things.

You know this might explain why my card likes to run from 50C to 80C... but mine's a Diamond HD3870 and runs okay on 7.11 driver

i got 2 saphire 3870's running @ 865/1260 temps hit 60c load on automatic bios profile.

tip - the cooler on the 3870 is really very nice but the bios profiles to control the fans suck ....so flash to a better/working fan control bios.

btw it's impossible for that cooler to suck air in ...very lol indeed :D

Well you can have them. I am going to wait for something worth while to get from now on.

Not the junk they are throwing at us now. Unless they get some real cooling on these things.

Sorry you feel that way, Im extremely happy with my MSI 3870 and since i've been able to adjust the fan im idling at 40c and load around 68c..

From my experience, sapphire has been terribly unreliable. I think that was normal since before the 3870.

I've bought three sapphire cards. They're all still running flawlessly. (9800pro, X1800XL, X1900XT) You realize Sapphire manufacturers all of the high end ATi cards ?

it seems the orginal poster is flamebaiting and/or does not really understand what his problem with is cards are. Anyways the only reason the 3870 would not do 1920x1200 is if drivers arn't installed properly, you can usually tell if this is the reason iof the highest option on a moniter that supports 1920x1200 is 1600x1200 OR 1920x1080.

Real tired of AMD/ATI this is the third bad 3870 card now. The first two the fans were running backwards and now this pile of junk that just crashes all the time. Will not run Dream scene without crashing. How it runs anything else I can not find out before it crashes. I have had it with Sapphire and ATI.

My 1950 pro will work just great but 3870 is real slow and crashes. bad

ATI go to hell.

Should buy the Asus version instead.

Well I bought a HR-03 GT that I will put on my Gigabyte 3870 that works good. If it works like I think it should I will put it into the computer with Vista 64. That is the computer with all the cooling problems with the 3870. If that works then I will just have to keep it in here.

This is the kind of cooling that the card companies should be putting on these things.:)

The only explanation for the weird fan situation is that there could be way too much negative pressure in your case, with too many exhaust fans that it defeats the low-rpm fan in your video card (forcing it to suck air inside)...

Plus the fan does not increase RPM until it reaches at least 60 degrees C or more depending on brand/heatsink. My card idles at 16% fan speed until 60 degrees!!! I can hardly feel anything blowing at all.

Back