More Audio issues on a fresh Win 10 installation- help!

raglafart

Limp Gawd
I have done a fresh installation of Windows 10 on my wife's PC. So we can both be mostly up to date.
She doesn't do a whole lot of work on hers these days.
But I thought updating to Windows 10 would likely be a good solution.
So after the fresh installation I thought I'd check out the sound quality after all the problems I had.
Found a YouTube clip on the web and started to play it.
After just 20 seconds in, all sound just stopped, nothing, not a peep. The video kept going but without any sound whatsoever. I opened another video and exactly the same thing. It would run and then suddenly all the audio will stop while the images keep playing. When the sound stopped seemed arbitrary. A couple lasted over a minute but always with the same result.
So I took my USB stick with all my music on it and tried playing a song from it. It all started okay, but hiccoughed about 3-4 seconds in. I saw the clock hesitate and rewind a second and then the audio was back okay. But it kept on doing it intermittently, every10 seconds or so.
After 1:09 all audio stopped......................silence and I got the following messages shown below.
I cannot understand what's going on! How can it play audio, and good clean audio at that, then a minute plus later say there's no audio adapter!?!?

Her PC isn't much older than mine, it's an Asus P9 X79 Pro. I've downloaded and installed all the Windows 10 drivers from the Asus page for the MB, the Chipset, LAN, Audio, SATA and USB.
Windows 10, it sure isn't a plug and play operation. Any advice much appreciated. Looks like the cheap Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX sound card may get some work yet.

Is Microsoft trying to force us to use new PC's by way of purposely designed flaws? I'm a big enough skeptic and cynically inclined to think something is going on?

Any suggestions anyone please? I'll try the Audigy FX, but would prefer not to use it if I don't have to.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers John

Okay, I've just tried using the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX card. Downloaded all the latest drivers and software. No joy!
I was getting very poor sound for a clip lasting several minutes. At times the audio was fine, but then the volume would fade and the audio became muffled and mostly unintelligible then the volume would slowly creep back up, become clearer and then fade again in a cycle, at the low volume part of the cycle the audio stopped altogether. This is very similar to the problems I had on my PC but my wife's PC doesn't have the same quality onboard Realtek sound.

As I say, any help would be most welcome.
Thanks John

Attachments

• crap audio Win 10-2.PNG
    crap audio Win 10-2.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • crap audio Win 10.PNG
    crap audio Win 10.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
x79 should work fine on Windows 10. Either there is a hardware or software issue, or you are doing something wrong.

Are you overclocking the system at all? If so, revert to optimized defaults in bios and see if that helps.

Have you tried different speakers?

Also, check to see if a newer driver is available. I believe the newest Realtek version that works on the older boards is 6.0.1.8648 (I'm using it on my z170).

Finally, try installing the latest Intel Chipset INF. I can't tell if the one from Intel's website support x79 or not but try finding one that works.

See if this works...
Open the Device Manager again and find your audio driver as if you were updating it.
Right-click the driver and choose Update driver.
This time though, instead of letting Windows search for it automatically, select Browse my computer for driver software.
Then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. This will bring up a list that will include High Definition Audio Device. This is the generic Windows 10 driver. Select and install it, to see if this restores your sound.

Hi bidochris
The system does have Turbo boost enabled, I'll disable that.
I have checked the intel site for the latest INF but there's nothing for my board on the their site! :(
These speakers do work just fine. When you do all the Windows Audio tests it all comes back fine, no issues. on the Win 10 drive, on Windows 7 they are perfect, they are the Logitech X230 2.1
All the issues are with anything on a Youtube video or from the Media Player. The sound drops out completely on an intermittent basis for varying periods.
I went through the same testing and exchanging speakers with my PC when I had the similar but different audio issues on my Windows 10 PC

This is also a day one new installation on a brand new SSD.
I downloaded the Realtek driver app, when I tried to run it on the PC it wouldn't run, said there were no appropriate drivers and stopped the install ?

Executioner
Thanks for your reply, I tried your suggestion with the generic drivers, still no improvement.

I only loaded Windows 10 on my PC in late December last year. 10 has been running well on my pc until about 4-6 weeks ago when I went through head crunching hassles with the audio on my PC

I seem to have got a fix.
I uninstalled everything in the sound devices in the device manager.
On the restart I set all the bios parameters to the default settings and let Windows 10 install whatever drivers for the audio hardware that it wanted.
I think that's how I started out with the fresh installation, but why the sound didn't work from the get go......no idea
But now I have solid good sound.............so far!
Thanks for your advice and help everyone
Cheers John

I have found a lot of sound issues fixed by unchecking the "allow application to take exclusive control of this device" in the advanced audio properties of said device.

In the immortal words of Victor Mildew of "One Foot In The Grave" fame

I just do not believe it!

I thought I had it licked! I just booted it up and all the same problems are back. I have no idea what is going on. How can it be fine one moment, after a reboot, it all turns to crap again. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Cheers, a highly disappointed and frustrated John

What I would try next: get a Linux image and boot off the thumb drive. It won't install anything or change your system, but it will allow you to look at Linux to see now it works. From there I would play some music files or video files to see if it works under Linux. If it does, then that rules out hardware issue. If it does not work or you have the same problems, then it's a hardware issue. You can do the same by using a separate HD to install windows 7 or even XP to see if it's the issue with the OS, but the Linux one is a quick test. There are several Linux versions - try Linux Mint as an example.
It very well could be an issue with your motherboard even if you tried using an external audio card. Did you try a different slot?

Have you messed with the device properties at all? If you can uncheck the "allow apps to take control" thing like I mentioned, as well as check the "disable all enhancments", and run the speaker configuration wizard, and make sure spatial filering is disabled, it could eliminate windows filtering as a problem. Also disabling all other audio devices (make sure to r.click empty area and choose show dissconected devices).

Get to advaned setup panel: r.click speaker icon in tray>speaker setup>advanced setup

A cheap USB card may work for testing as well...

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exte...qid=1590585962&sprefix=usb+sou,aps,162&sr=8-3

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
70 Polara and Executioner.
I've just booted up my PC which I am still also having major audio problems with.
I've just checked the system info and I'm running Win 10 Pro version 10.8.18362
My wife's PC is based on an Asus P9 X79 pro motherboard and my PC is a Rampage iv Black edition X79 motherboard
On booting up this evening, again the speakers were X'ed out. To get the sound running again is now a straightforward procedure, uninstall ALL sound devices, reboot and windows obviously then re installs the devices and window drivers.
I then have perfect audio, no other hassles, everything works.......................until for whatever reason the system decides to install different drivers which then crashes the sound and I get the message that the speakers are not connected.
I have to do this on my wife's PC in exactly the same way. The only difference is the frequency this happens. On my wife's machine it is happening much quicker, almost every other boot and the speakers get X'ed out. On my PC I have had
maybe 4-5 days running without having to do an uninstall.
As for running Linux, I have both Linux Mint 19.3 and Ubuntu loaded on different SSD's and when I swap out the Windows drive the audio works perfectly on both Mint and Ubuntu.
I have just taken screen shots of the driver details so I can see if driver details change when this happens again which it seems is a persistent recurring problem.
I am more than happy there are zero hardware issues as both my and my wife's PC's will run with perfect audio, but only for a given amount of time. Also, my PC runs perfectly if I switch to either Mint, Ubuntu or Win 7 and my wife's PC if
I drop the Win 7 SSD back in.
On my PC I bought an internal sound card, a Creative Blaster Audigy FX which I didn't realise is only certified up to Win 8.1 and didn't resolve a thing. Just created a whole lot of other audio issues.
What I cannot understand is why it works perfectly, then for no apparent reason decides the speakers aren't connected, not on one but both PC's
To me, this seems to be a 100% Windows 10 issue. But I have no idea what is causing it or how to resolve it. Very very frustrating
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers John

Hi vick1000, I've already done this on my PC. 365 days on one and 30 days on the other.
I did see that the build I'm running is 1903 and I'm now updating to build 1909 to see if this will make a difference so I've temporarily resumed the updates

Hi vick1000, I've already done this on my PC. 365 days on one and 30 days on the other.
I did see that the build I'm running is 1903 and I'm now updating to build 1909 to see if this will make a difference so I've temporarily resumed the updates
No, take vick1000 advice - you need to use GP (group policy) to disable the driver updates. See the previous thread that you started where I gave you that link on how to disable driver updates. The 365 days is for a new OS version only, and the 30 days are for security updates only. I have my system setup like that.

Here is the link: follow the GP instructions: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Thanks Executioner and Chuklr
I've just gone through a whole load of updates and also upgraded to build 1909.
I'll see how the new build runs over the next few days and also read and follow the advice on the link you've recommended.
I'll do the same on my wife's PC and see where this goes.
I thought I was already running 1909 but using the winver I found it was only the 1903 so I'm hoping this may be an answer to my issues
Many thanks for your input. Very much appreciated
Cheers John

not sure if this helps... because it sounds different, then what happened to my wife's computer but there is a windows update that has apparently been breaking audio on some systems. In the case of my wife's computer her Asus Xonar DG just up and disappeared from the device manager with this update installed. Uninstalling update and blocking it from reinstalling using the windows 10 Update troubleshooter ... has resulted in the audio card showing up in device mgr and working normally again.

The update in question:: KB4556799

the update apparently has caused other issues for some users
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...4556799-free-windows-10-upgrade/#3afdce4c25a0

Just an update on resolving my audio problems on both my wife's and my PC.
So far both machines are now working fine with none of the previous audio issues.
I checked my wife's PC and the build 2004 was available as an update so I did and it would appear so far that this has sorted out all the audio issues on her PC
I had only just updated to build 1909 on my PC but while having installed it and everything was working okay, I decided to also manually update my machine to build 2004
Everything is working fine on both PC's. I just hope it remains as it is.

These kind of problems cost me a significant amount of time and created a lot of tension in our household from too many late nights trying to understand and resolve what was going on.
It is only a couple of things that are keeping me Windows bound, programs I'm comfortable with and the Windows Media player.
If I could get those programs running in Linux I would cross over in a flash.

Thanks to those who have tried to help, it was much appreciated.
Thank you John

Just an update on resolving my audio problems on both my wife's and my PC.
So far both machines are now working fine with none of the previous audio issues.
I checked my wife's PC and the build 2004 was available as an update so I did and it would appear so far that this has sorted out all the audio issues on her PC
I had only just updated to build 1909 on my PC but while having installed it and everything was working okay, I decided to also manually update my machine to build 2004
Everything is working fine on both PC's. I just hope it remains as it is.

These kind of problems cost me a significant amount of time and created a lot of tension in our household from too many late nights trying to understand and resolve what was going on.
It is only a couple of things that are keeping me Windows bound, programs I'm comfortable with and the Windows Media player.
If I could get those programs running in Linux I would cross over in a flash.

Thanks to those who have tried to help, it was much appreciated.
Thank you John
If you have the will, you probably could get those programs running on linux also using Wine. Windows software support has advanced a lot. WMP runs also on Wine but Microsoft doesn't provide the installer for the latest versions, I think WMP8 is the latest you can get.

Hi B00nie
I did get my Amazing slow downer kinda working in Linux using Wine, the visuals were very basic and I couldn't enlarge the very small window. However it was the lack of anything that was as good as Media Player 12 I'm running on Win 10.
I am really happy that all my hardware is now working okay..........................................so far but it's only been a week since updating to the new build

I don't have to learn how to use Gimp and can stick with CS6, all my music is stored in a logical way and Amazing Slow Downer works perfectly.

All of the massive sound issues I was experiencing on YouTube and Facebook messenger have ceased completely since going to version 2004 build 19041.264
But I have to say, everything was working fine on version 1903 for the best part of 3 - 4 months since installing Windows 10 in December last year until something Microsoft did broke it.
I have made no hardware changes, though out of desperation I did buy a dedicated sound card to see if that would solve any issues but that didn't solve a thing and only made things worse. Anyone want an as new in box Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX !!!!

I'm stuck here with Windows 10, but at least it's working okay..................................for now
My wife's PC is also now working well too

Geezus.

I haven't used Windows Media Player since about 2005. Can you seriously not use anything else? There's a plethora of better media solutions out there that run cross platform.

Back