Moon Dust by the Bag

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
You might remember this story from a couple of years ago. A lawyer snatched up a bag of actual Moon dust that was collected during the Apollo 11 Mission by Neil Armstrong in 1969. It was mis-inventoried and NASA screwed the pooch and sold it off for $995. She sold it this week for $1.8M at an NYC auction.

It was then misidentified during a government auction, selling for just $995 to a lawyer from Illinois in 2015.

Traces of moon dust and rocks missed the boat to the Smithsonian because of a clerical error. Damn it Bernice! Check the right spreadsheet column!

This lawyer ROI is pretty solid. Better than what I envision my plan would have been with some moon dust and small rocks.

DA0V4vVXkAA3o5z.jpg

But the lawyer did the right thing and returned it, yeah right.
Really? Who cares. NASA probably has a couple of hundred pounds of the stuff in a warehouse. It's not like moondust is a particularly amazing substance anyway, I'm sure they learned from it whatever there was to learn and this small handful of it has no real value to them anymore. It's an interesting artifact merely because it was the first. It is not unique.

Really? Who cares. NASA probably has a couple of hundred pounds of the stuff in a warehouse. It's not like moondust is a particularly amazing substance anyway, I'm sure they learned from it whatever there was to learn and this small handful of it has no real value to them anymore. It's an interesting artifact merely because it was the first. It is not unique.
Sure, but NASA could have auctioned it off for the $1.8 million, not a lousy $900 that won't even buy a wrench (at NASA prices). :mad:

Sure, but NASA could have auctioned it off for the $1.8 million, not a lousy $900 that won't even buy a wrench (at NASA prices). :mad:
They shoulda auctioned some from their original stash for 1.5mil just to troll this lady, and continued to underbid on it. Then have some intern scoop it up for some trivial amount of money to get it back.

When I see somebody drop money on the ground I pick it up and give it back to them. This woman's actions are why I don't let people into line at stoplights, why I routinely piss on public toilet seats, and why I voted from Trump. Fuck all y'all ;)

You'd hope that an American, a true American, would return the sample, not capitalize on someone's mistake.

This is a true piece of history, amazing history.

Yeah, if it was me, I'd keep a little bit; but probably give it back. it belongs in the Smithsonian, no some collectors basement.

Back