Montey Fool on AMD's Pricing

The "Home Computer" as we know it will be a thing of the past really soon... Come on all you Triple SLI/Crossfire nerds who spend 3grand on a comp... lol Soon like in 5 years there wont be a need to drop all this cash on a Home PC to get the best performance unless you like benchmarking... laf

The "Home Computer" as we know it will be a thing of the past really soon... Come on all you Triple SLI/Crossfire nerds who spend 3grand on a comp... lol Soon like in 5 years there wont be a need to drop all this cash on a Home PC to get the best performance unless you like benchmarking... laf

Ive heard this before. Please give me your reasoning.

Being able to get good PC gaming performance without breaking the bank has been possible for quite some time now. If you're trying to argue that you won't be able to get better performance in the future by buying more expensive hardware, well we'll see about that, but I'm pretty sure that will not be the case...

When looking at graphics cards' market share, you have to remember: It's hard to make money on cheap graphics cards. That's why market share -- which is measured in units -- matters less, and investors should focus on what price points companies dominate. One of the stronger aspects of NVIDIA has been its stranglehold on the gaming "enthusiasts" and professional segments. These segments have lower volumes but come with great margins and selling prices.

Now with AMD coming out with a slower card (HD6870) and NVIDIA coming out with a faster card (GTX580) it looks like this trend will only continue.

Don't mind Prime. He's kind of like that grandfather many of us have seen that sits in the corner rocking his chair, yelling at the wall because he's reliving things that happened 10 years ago.

Don't mind Prime. He's kind of like that grandfather many of us have seen that sits in the corner rocking his chair, yelling at the wall because he's reliving things that happened 10 years ago.

I kind of miss all those other posters. The last few generations were tough though on the loyalists

That was a really interesting read. I was thinking about how it would be a good idea to pick up some AMD stock because of the way they are just crushing nVidia in market share and such, but then you look at how they continue to lose money despite rocking in the high(ish) gpu market. Going from $47 million to $33 million in one quarter is a frightening deal for employees and investors, I think.

Now with AMD coming out with a slower card (HD6870) and NVIDIA coming out with a faster card (GTX580) it looks like this trend will only continue.

yep... and

Motley Fool said:
It's no secret in the graphics card community that [AMD] has been wiping the floor with NVIDIA in some key segments of the market.

Keep us entertained Prime.

That was a really interesting read. I was thinking about how it would be a good idea to pick up some AMD stock because of the way they are just crushing nVidia in market share and such, but then you look at how they continue to lose money despite rocking in the high(ish) gpu market. Going from $47 million to $33 million in one quarter is a frightening deal for employees and investors, I think.

AMD losing money is ultimately going to be based on the CPU market - until they're competitive there, they'll lose money regardless of how the GPU side does

Last quarter is hard to say. Nvidia had the GTX 460 released, and ATI lost its title in the notebook market. Plus with rumors of the 6000's coming out soon, the 5000's were going to take a hit either way. With new products on the horizon though, things may shift again

Facts are not trolling.

AMD fans sure are touchy these days.

Trolling is deliberately misinterpreting and twisting facts. I'm no AMD fanboy- I've enjoyed products from both companies in the past. I just prefer the truth to intentionally ignoring reality.

A card that costs less, has same performance as the older card with less "stuff" like fewer SP's (meaning more efficient), uses less power and generates less heat is bad how?

6000 series is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

definitely not trolling. the man speaks the truth

Wow. seriously? AMD is releasing their midrange cards first, and the high end in November. How hard is that to understand? 69xx series will be faster than 58xx series, and that is the way it is meant to be. 68xx series was never meant to be be a 5870 killer.

Lol! Prime1 is known as Wreckage on Anandtech. He's trolling so much that I actually find it fun to read his posts. :D

Amen! its cosmical is what it is. I'm surprised he doesn't have his own stand up show.
Wonder how much NV is paying him, i bet his own stand up show would bring in more money.

i mean here Motley Fool says that AMD wipes the floor with NV in some key markets, but no, he will never admit that to be true.

Amen! its cosmical is what it is. I'm surprised he doesn't have his own stand up show.
Wonder how much NV is paying him, i bet his own stand up show would bring in more money.

i mean here Motley Fool says that AMD wipes the floor with NV in some key markets, but no, he will never admit that to be true.

Lol! :D

Keysplayr (Nvidia focus group member @ AT) wondered if AMD was paying him... :p

I don't have account on AT, but I read there a lot and have missed his posting.

OK before you guys get this thread locked with your bashing....\

Basically all I said was that AMD is launching their next series with a slower card and NVIDIA is launching their next series with a faster card. Which mirrors what the article was saying about AMD going after the low end and NVIDIA going after the high end/professional.

Is anything I said false? If so please point it out instead of acting like this.....

I kind of miss all those other posters. The last few generations were tough though on the loyalists

yep... and

Keep us entertained Prime.

Stop trolling. That is all.

Lol! :D

Keysplayr (Nvidia focus group member @ AT) wondered if AMD was paying him... :p

I don't have account on AT, but I read there a lot and have missed his posting.

Seriously how old are you people. :rolleyes:

Basically all I said was that AMD is launching their next series with a slower card and NVIDIA is launching their next series with a faster card. Which mirrors what the article was saying about AMD going after the low end and NVIDIA going after the high end/professional.

Is anything I said false? If so please point it out instead of acting like this.....

You ignore the fact that they are as fast as the current 5850/5870 cards but are more refined and efficient. They use less power and generate less heat then their predecessors yet have the same speed. You also ignore the fact that these appear to be the mid-range cards for the 6000 series.

You also ignore the fact that the next generation Fermi cards will also match top of the line GTX480 with the mid-range models and have a high end model to beat out the GTX480.

All I can say is bring it on because competition is good for us the consumer.

Is anything I said false? If so please point it out instead of acting like this....

Facts are not trolling.

AMD fans sure are touchy these days.
You try and hide your trolling by mixing it into your commentary. When somebody calls you out on it, you go back to your post and say "look, I posted facts.. im not trolling" when you are ignoring your name calling, labeling and insulting of people who disagree with you.

What you continue to ignore is that the 68xx series, while not likely faster than the 58xx series, should be fairly close, but also, was never MEANT to be as fast as the 58xx series. You also continue to ignore the fact that AMD is not STOPPING with the 68xx series, and are releasing the 69xx series next month, which will go head to head with the gtx580. So in reality, by the time the GTX580 is released, the 69xx series will be released as well. AMD is just releasing the 68xx series now to counter the one place the Nvidia is currently beating them, and will release the 69xx series cards soon to compete with the GTX580- not need to start with the 69xx because the 580 isn't even there to compete with yet.

Seriously, his (Prime's) post are freaking ridiculous and beyond silly.............Never have I've seen such blatant and unrestrained (edit) "brand-loyalty" (sigh). How can he simply roam about and annoy people like this?

What you continue to ignore is that the 68xx series, while not likely faster than the 58xx series, should be fairly close, but also, was never MEANT to be as fast as the 58xx series. You also continue to ignore the fact that AMD is not STOPPING with the 68xx series, and are releasing the 69xx series next month, which will go head to head with the gtx580. So in reality, by the time the GTX580 is released, the 69xx series will be released as well. AMD is just releasing the 68xx series now to counter the one place the Nvidia is currently beating them, and will release the 69xx series cards soon to compete with the GTX580- not need to start with the 69xx because the 580 isn't even there to compete with yet.

He's been told this a 1000 times already.

Last edited:
What you continue to ignore is that the 68xx series, while not likely faster than the 58xx series, should be fairly close, but also, was never MEANT to be as fast as the 58xx series.

What does that have to do with what I said or how it relates to the article. BTW when was the last time AMD launched a series that was slower than the previous series?

Again is what I said false?

Everyone seems to be dodging that. Why?

You guys brand me as a "brand loyalist"....seems hypocritical considering all the attacks.

What does that have to do with what I said or how it relates to the article. BTW when was the last time AMD launched a series that was slower than the previous series?

Again is what I said false?

Everyone seems to be dodging that. Why?

You guys brand me as a "brand loyalist"....seems hypocritical considering all the attacks.

Cayman.

Are they launching their new series with Cayman? Huh, see now this is news that I did not hear. Maybe I was wrong. :confused:

Did not hear? Several people already told you this in the AMD forum, and flyinfinni just said the same thing.

Are they launching their new series with Cayman? Huh, see now this is news that I did not hear. Maybe I was wrong. :confused:

I wasn't aware GPU companies were supposed to release THE ENTIRE SERIES AT THE EXACT SAME DAY or else it doesn't count.

Are nvidia fanboys really getting this desperate?

also: Cayman.

I wasn't aware GPU companies were supposed to release THE ENTIRE SERIES AT THE EXACT SAME DAY or else it doesn't count.

Are nvidia fanboys really getting this desperate?

also: Cayman.

Desperate? I'm talking about how AMD is launching their series and you are calling me names over it. :confused:

You said this:

For one, the 580 isn't supposed to appear until the end of this year, the Cayman is supposed to appear next month. However, I'm certain you knew all this.....I'm not sure how you could be here for 6+ years, accumulate almost 2400 posts and still not know this. I assume it's some ploy to get people to insult you, which you'll respond by playing blissfully ignorant and accusing them of attacking you; so they'll appear to be in the wrong.

That's just me though.

some of you are not listening to what he is saying. AMD is launching the 6xxx with a slower processor, barts. they are not launching the 6xxx series with cayman. nvidia is launching their new series, with the fastest one first, not the slower card first (barts)

that doesnt mean cayman wont be faster, it might be...when it is released..

you are changing what you said now- you originally were saying that AMD was giving up because they were not launching a faster high end card. Now you are changing and claiming you were saying its because of the ORDER they are launching them in? What difference does it make if they are launching the 68xx first so that they can counter the GTX460? They 69xx series will be out in plenty of time to counter the 580.

some of you are not listening to what he is saying. AMD is launching the 6xxx with a slower processor, barts. they are not launching the 6xxx series with cayman. nvidia is launching their new series, with the fastest one first, not the slower card first (barts)

that doesnt mean cayman wont be faster, it might be...when it is released..

But last generation, the 5870 was the first card to come out for AMD, so (even if I was to use the above logic in interpreting his post) his point would still be moot.

Ive heard this before. Please give me your reasoning.

I think he's going probably going to use the reasoning to justify this as people like mobility or mobile things. IE a lot of people prefer a 7" laptop that you can take literately almost anywhere over a large 17" traditional laptop and further prefer the 7" traditional laptop over a desktop that is not mobile at all.

At least, this might be true of the casual market abiet maybe not enthusiasts. The problem is that you need sales to fund market research and if casuals are buying 7" laptops in mass, you'll see a larger portion of research going to the mini-mobile-computing market and likely less going towards the less-in-demand traditional desktop pc market.

One of the biggest borders to the small 7" portable laptop idea though is the small screen size. However, there are become more and more increasing solutions for eye-wearable screens where a virtual 17" screen is protected directly onto the retina from only 1-2 inches away with controllable transparency. Thus allowing you to maybe someday have a 7" computational box + eyeware display(transmitting wirelessly) and you get all the advantages of traditional desktop size with mobility.

The only issue that occurs is mobile computation devices generally are awful at graphics compared to a desktop. If a company did kick off with a good fairly lag-free input system where you could connect to a 'server' that would compute the 'graphics' or 'calculations' necessary for a game and the local machine becomes no more than display device for an advanced VPN. Aka getting into the idea of cloud-computing.

I agree that desktops are superior if you are able to spend time at home doing computational problems or gaming. The question is whether other people agree with us and more importantly what the casual market agrees with. Casual market = where the research dollars go these days it seems.

IE, The wii was successful with the casual market with its motion-controller technology which as a hardcore gamer I think is rather lame, difficult to control and inferior to the traditional controller or keyboard/mouse combo. Ironically, what I think really doesn't matter as now the PS3/Xbox 360 both have their respective motion capture devices. So both companies put vast amounts of money into the 'casual' sectors wants/needs. Meanwhile actual gaming innovation seems stale and hardware seems old/outdated(console wise).

I personally would have much rather preferred Microsoft spend the same amount of money spent on making Kinect on making an xbox 720 so us pc gamers could start getting some more demanding pc-ports or better graphical fidelity in the majority of the games available.

Back