cageymaru

Fully [H]
Capcom has announced a new Monster Hunter World expansion set for release in 2019. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne will come to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the autumn of 2019 with the PC release to follow. The paid DLC will feature winter themes, but Capcom isn't willing to discuss more at this time. Some of the limited timed event monsters like Kulve Taroth are coming back to the game as a harder variant called arch-tempered monsters. Even Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher series has a cameo appearance in the game. A limited trial version of the game is coming to consoles.

So to reiterate, we're working on a massive expansion to MH:W, including new environments, new monsters, a new quest difficulty rank, new moves, and much more. This is a paid expansion and will be delivered as DLC, so you can seamlessly transition from Monster Hunter: World into Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. We'll have more details in spring 2019, but for now our target release window is set to autumn 2019 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Details on the release timeframe for the PC version are still in the works, but we'll be sure to let you know ASAP.

I got Monster Hunter for free with my 1070 Ti and played it for all of an hour before I got bored with it. Should I give it another go? It seemed too...consolish.

I got Monster Hunter for free with my 1070 Ti and played it for all of an hour before I got bored with it. Should I give it another go? It seemed too...consolish.

Well the original MH was for what... PSP?
It is very consolish, so what?
It is about learning the fights and trying out a bunch of different weapons and skill builds.

It really depends. Does the idea of hunting a bunch of different monsters appeal to you? It's a relatively slow paced game, with constant and tangible progression. I say slow paced because the fights can't be just button spammed out. You have to think about your moves, think about what combos into what, and really learn your weapon's movesets. On top of that, there are the elemental types, etc. You start the game with the base model of every weapon, so you can try them all out (hammer is best weapon, don't question me). Each weapon feels entirely unique, and even the gimicky weapons (Dual blades and insect glaives, mostly) feel good to use. Playing a heavy weapon like a greatsword or hammer, you can really feel the impact of your blows, and playing like quick weapons lets you easily weave in and out of combat. Each monster also feels like a different, unique fight (with 2 exceptions), and learning the various movesets, and what attacks you can and can't do while a monster winds up for an attack.
Unless, of course, you want to skip all of this and just play bow and decimate things.

Overall, I love the game. I sank 150 hours into it in the month or two after it launched, and have picked it back up for the events. I think it's worth a retry. I don't know that an hour is long enough to really start learning much. One thing that might help is to watch a youtube video on the different weapon styles and find one that really suits how you want to play (or I can give you suggestions, if you'd like). There's a channel called Arrekz Gaming that does in depth tutorials for each weapon. Give it a look. Then decide to be a true hunter and play hammer.

It really depends. Does the idea of hunting a bunch of different monsters appeal to you? It's a relatively slow paced game, with constant and tangible progression. I say slow paced because the fights can't be just button spammed out. You have to think about your moves, think about what combos into what, and really learn your weapon's movesets. On top of that, there are the elemental types, etc. You start the game with the base model of every weapon, so you can try them all out (hammer is best weapon, don't question me). Each weapon feels entirely unique, and even the gimicky weapons (Dual blades and insect glaives, mostly) feel good to use. Playing a heavy weapon like a greatsword or hammer, you can really feel the impact of your blows, and playing like quick weapons lets you easily weave in and out of combat. Each monster also feels like a different, unique fight (with 2 exceptions), and learning the various movesets, and what attacks you can and can't do while a monster winds up for an attack.
Unless, of course, you want to skip all of this and just play bow and decimate things.

Overall, I love the game. I sank 150 hours into it in the month or two after it launched, and have picked it back up for the events. I think it's worth a retry. I don't know that an hour is long enough to really start learning much. One thing that might help is to watch a youtube video on the different weapon styles and find one that really suits how you want to play (or I can give you suggestions, if you'd like). There's a channel called Arrekz Gaming that does in depth tutorials for each weapon. Give it a look. Then decide to be a true hunter and play hammer.

An hour or two will not give you an accurate feeling for this game you need to play for a good 10hrs before you start getting the hang of things and I completely agree with watching videos to give you a sense of how the weapons work, this game is definitely a marathon not a sprint.

An hour or two will not give you an accurate feeling for this game you need to play for a good 10hrs before you start getting the hang of things and I completely agree with watching videos to give you a sense of how the weapons work, this game is definitely a marathon not a sprint.
Especially if you play GS...

I'm surprised people are still playing this game, i ran it through and didn't see much replay value in it. It was one of those "fun while it lasted" but the invisible walls, and non-interconnected zones kind of killed what could otherwise be a lot more interesting. It gives you the impression of being somewhat sandbox-ish but isn't.

I enjoyed it for around 80 hours then found nothing really interesting at the end to keep me invested. It would help if there was a reason to keep playing like opening new zones, actually being able to improve your home, showing off trophies, etc.

I don't think 80 hours can get you the best gear, and that is pretty much what the endgame loop is about.

Thanks guys, I'll give it another shot this weekend...after I download the million gigs of it. Holy hell, I just realized ATT has a 300gb cap limit, I may wait until next month as I recently downloaded about 100gb of games after I built my new ryzen system (after accidentally deleting my partition on my backup drive DERP)...

yeah, 80hrs will not get you end game gear

80hrs is what... you're at tempered kirin to unlock higher ranks?

If it's your first monster hunter game, I would suggest you to go to the blacksmith, craft different weapons and see witch one suits your gameplay, also go to training area to learn how to use said weapon.
Lastly if you play with mouse and keyboard avoid using a bow weapon.

Count me in. I think I put in 350-400 hours on PS4 before I switched to PC for another 80 or so ... so far. Love it.

Count me in. I think I put in 350-400 hours on PS4 before I switched to PC for another 80 or so ... so far. Love it.

Sheesh, I was considering getting this game when I saw the Geralt thing, didnt realize the game was that much of a time sink. Changed my mind!

Sheesh, I was considering getting this game when I saw the Geralt thing, didnt realize the game was that much of a time sink. Changed my mind!

It doesn’t have to be. You can just play the story and be done with it. It’s also easy to jump in and out.

I really love the gameplay in MHW, but as my first foray into the series I just cannot abide the fact that skills, and therefore your entire character build, are dependent on RNG decoration drops and specific armour combinations, with no way to get the rare skills you want other than hoping and praying the grind goes in your favour, or resorting to the retarded "save scumming" exploit that the community seems quite happy to perpetuate.

I'm firmly of the belief that unlocking skills/abilities should be a product of levelling up and selecting the ones you want via points on a talent tree, while grinding and acquiring gear should only improve your character's stats (i.e. defence, resists, attack power, crit chance, health, stamina, etc).

Furthermore, what's the point of Capcom designing all those fantastic looking armour sets if you end up having to cobble together a clown suit of random pieces to get the skills you want for your build?

As enjoyable as the game was to start with, this expansion gets a "nope" from me unless they add a more reliable way to gain specific decorations and ideally, add a vanity armour feature so that I can look how I want, with the build I want.

Yes, I'm bitter that I never got my Mighty Bow and Guard Up decorations.

500+ hours in this game across my PS4 and PC. When I first bought it on the PS4 it was because I was bored and wanted something to new to play. Never played a MH game before it and I got hooked on it after about 4-5 hours. Can’t wait for the expansion.

The first couple hours should be spent learning game mechanics and which weapon fits your initial play style best. I hated GS at first due to limited mobility and went with hammer instead. Now my favorite weapon is the GS after “mastering” 6 different weapon types.

500+ hours in this game across my PS4 and PC. When I first bought it on the PS4 it was because I was bored and wanted something to new to play. Never played a MH game before it and I got hooked on it after about 4-5 hours. Can’t wait for the expansion.

The first couple hours should be spent learning game mechanics and which weapon fits your initial play style best. I hated GS at first due to limited mobility and went with hammer instead. Now my favorite weapon is the GS after “mastering” 6 different weapon types.
I, too, started with hammer and moved to GS eventually. Out of my 160 hours gameplay, though, 80-100 of it is probably hammer. I still go back to hammer when fighting something I'm less comfortable with. I've "mastered" hammer, GS, longsword (easy mode), dual daggers, bow, HBG, insect glaive and regular lance (also easy mode). Gunlance I'm okay at. I'm absolutely awful at SnS.

I don't think 80 hours can get you the best gear, and that is pretty much what the endgame loop is about.

yeah, 80hrs will not get you end game gear

80hrs is what... you're at tempered kirin to unlock higher ranks?

Well, to be fair, when I did my second run on PC I basically had completed everything I needed as far as end-game gear within 40-50 hours or so. However, that was already being familiar with all of the monsters and way more skilled at the game than when I started on the PS4.

Also, a lot of it is RNG-based for gems and stuff, so it can vary greatly.

Another piece of advice I can give is, don't limit yourself to just one weapon type. I used Longsword exclusively throughout my MH3U and MH4U experiences, and in World I started out as LS main, but eventually I realized that certain weapons make certain monsters way easier. You may never jive with all weapon types, but I primarily use Bow, LS, Lance, and Hunting Horn, as well as occasionally Charge Blade, Gunlance, and Light Bowgun.

Back