Monster Hunter World (Beta)

Yeah, I might consider doing that at some point...getting garbage melds.

I got my first augment stones today...both for the hammer, lol. Maybe I should take up hunting horn?

But, that also unlocked armor augments so I can buff my defense. Helpful against tempered hunts. Not having good luck getting tempered investigations, though.

Yeah, I might consider doing that at some point...getting garbage melds.

I got my first augment stones today...both for the hammer, lol. Maybe I should take up hunting horn?

But, that also unlocked armor augments so I can buff my defense. Helpful against tempered hunts. Not having good luck getting tempered investigations, though.

Yea it took me a while to get tempered investigations. I got streamstones for sword, bowgun, and lances in spades before I got even one for the bow.

you can cheese the decoration melding. It takes a bit of work but every time you finish a quest save your data then copy it to a usb drive. Go back into the game and meld your decorations if you dont like it copy the save from the usb back over. The gems you get reset every quest, so thats why I said after every quest.

If you're on a PS4 Pro i highly recommend a SSD for this. I can't go back now.

I got a 2 TB SSHD for mine...not as fast as an SSD but the price/storage space ratio was way better, and loading seems much faster.

I got a 2 TB SSHD for mine...not as fast as an SSD but the price/storage space ratio was way better, and loading seems much faster.

I dont play too many PS4 games so I just threw an old Samsung 840 Pro 256gb in my Pro the day I got it. Loading times are amazing compared to my old PS4 fat edition.

Yeah, I was approaching ~300 GB of used space on the drive so I didn't think even a 500 GB would cut it in the long run.

Seems like all the PS4 games want to install practically the entire game to the drive, but then still require the disk. :confused:

Yeah, I was approaching ~300 GB of used space on the drive so I didn't think even a 500 GB would cut it in the long run.

Seems like all the PS4 games want to install practically the entire game to the drive, but then still require the disk. :confused:

Yea, when I was looking at disk space BF1 used almonst 70GBs, and even some non graphically intensive games were using 30-40. But then I really never replayed them, and I didnt want to buy another SSD just for the PS4 Pro.

So, a huge amount of data just got released in Japan about drop rates, melding chances, etc.

Basically, melding is pretty much garbage and you want to just be doing tempered investigations.

Also, if you want to farm gems: break parts, cut tails, don't capture.

Last edited:
So, a huge amount of data just got released in Japan about drop rates, melding chances, etc.

Basically, melding is pretty much garbage and you want to just be doing tempered investigations.

Also, if you want to farm gems: break parts, cut tails, don't capture.

Well melding isn't at all garbage. You can figure out what gem is coming from every meld forever if you wanted to and just snipe the gems you want. It just requires an excel spreadsheet, time, and save scumming. I literally sat down and just melded 30 tries and then wrote them down. Did regular quests and kept track of the progression and sniped the exact gems I wanted. But yea, if you want gems dont do tempered investigations do regular HR. If you can farm solo, because you will break things a lot easier.

From what I could tell of the above, it's not even possible to get S-table gems from melding? Or is that incorrect?

EDIT: Never mind, I guess there's a 2% chance on Worn which I don't think was there when I first watched the video. May be why it was reuploaded.

Also, watching a video on the melding/tables stuff, seems easier/less time consuming than I thought...I might give it a try.

I'm 220 hours into the game and my Hunter Rank is 90. Well money spent. Just a few things left to do (100 HR, 50 Arena quests, crown hunting, and a few animals capture for achievements) and then I'll probably shelve it until DLC comes out.

Last edited:
I did one session of save scumming (think I did 3 or so sets of 3 top-tier melds) and ended up with a Protective Polish deco on the third set. Definitely going to have to do more, but it's kind of boring.

I think I hit HR 91 or so recently...finally went back and finished all optional quests. If you guys are missing any, make sure you check the Research Base. I had a bunch there from NPCs that I never saw because I never went there beyond the main storyline.

Did a bit more save scumming, got a Blast Coating deco and an Attack deco. Still haven't seen any of the super-rare ones via melding, though. It's actually pretty crazy how much low-tier garbage you get from even the high-level melding. If you were relying on melding without using save scumming, it would be fucking terrible and a waste of time.

Basically anything from the S table (assuming those are Rare 8 ones) I have never seen.

Did a bit more save scumming, got a Blast Coating deco and an Attack deco. Still haven't seen any of the super-rare ones via melding, though. It's actually pretty crazy how much low-tier garbage you get from even the high-level melding. If you were relying on melding without using save scumming, it would be fucking terrible and a waste of time.

Basically anything from the S table (assuming those are Rare 8 ones) I have never seen.

Ive gottent basically everything I want except piercing shots.

Yeah, I'm sure given enough time you can get everything... Just very tedious.

Not going to disagree with that. I really do hope this game gets a G rank expansion of some sorts. I would be more than willing to pay for it too. Im kind of bored farming the same 4-5 monsters and getting stream stones for everything except my weapon.

I ran like 7-8 table refreshes of Worn decorations and it was all garbage...lol. I got a Poison Coat one from a tempered Vaal quest.

Would love to get stuff like Guard Up (thinking about trying gunlance), normal shot up, and more health/vitality decos.

Also, tempered Lavasioth is a fucking PITA. He's annoying to fight anyway due to the hardening effect, but when he can one-shot you with a fireball (even with augmented armor and +70 health) and just fucking flops around all the time...ugh.

Also, tempered Lavasioth is a fucking PITA. He's annoying to fight anyway due to the hardening effect, but when he can one-shot you with a fireball (even with augmented armor and +70 health) and just fucking flops around all the time...ugh.

I never really had too many issues with him. I have issues with tempered nergigante the most. His dive is almost always a death.

Got back from vacation, and I decided to give Tempered Kirin a try. I went in with as much thunder resist as I could muster and made sure I was immune to paralysis. Proceeded to kill it on the first try. I carted twice due to fighting him in a tiny area, but he died pretty quickly after I got back. I had been reading how hard he was for a while, but he's honestly not really bad with bow. I imagine melee would be pretty rough (seems to be the norm for this game tbh). Now I get to experience the joy of farming tempered elders and probably not getting augments that I actually want lol.

How quickly do you get armor augments? I tried one tempered elder run and got one shot with max upgraded gear.

Edit- Also, agreed on lavasioth. That fight is AIDS. I had to do it several times to make his boots for my bow set, and I hated every minute of it...especially, the tempered version.

Last edited:
Armor augments just use the top tier Streamstones, which you pretty much always get from tempered elder quests, so not that difficult. You just need one per armor piece to unlock the max upgrade level.

I am having terrible luck with melding...dozens of tables save scumming and all garbage.

7 more sets, all garbage lol.

I did just get a Hero streamstone for Longsword, though, so that's pretty awesome.

Armor augments just use the top tier Streamstones, which you pretty much always get from tempered elder quests, so not that difficult. You just need one per armor piece to unlock the max upgrade level.

I am having terrible luck with melding...dozens of tables save scumming and all garbage.

I realized what my issue was today. Apparently you have to get a warrior's streamstone before you unlock the ability to augment anything. After I got a blade stone, the blacksmith had a "!" and I was able to start upgrading weapons and armor. Holy crap is this going to be expensive. Basically 120k per item to unlock and upgrade to max, plus a ton of armor stones. Guess I'll be keeping the Argosy on trade in items for a while lol.

Edit- forgot to mention, the event quest where you fight the 3 lizards in the arena is awesome for money and gems. With bandit mantles you get a ton of money and I was getting 4 or 5 gems every run. Crappy gems, sure, but it's probably good for building a stockpile for melding/scumming.

Last edited:
I realized what my issue was today. Apparently you have to get a warrior's streamstone before you unlock the ability to augment anything. After I got a blade stone, the blacksmith had a "!" and I was able to start upgrading weapons and armor. Holy crap is this going to be expensive. Basically 120k per item to unlock and upgrade to max, plus a ton of armor stones. Guess I'll be keeping the Argosy on trade in items for a while lol.

Edit- forgot to mention, the event quest where you fight the 3 lizards in the arena is awesome for money and gems. With bandit mantles you get a ton of money and I was getting 4 or 5 gems every run. Crappy gems, sure, but it's probably good for building a stockpile for melding/scumming.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that requirement. I got a random warrior stone on one of my first tempered elder hunts so I've had armor augments for awhile. And yeah...expensive. make sure you are keeping up on bounties for armor spheres, you'll need a lot. Also, it takes the same top tier streamstones that melding worn decos does.

And yeah, that arena quest is good for money and low tier decos. The simple task one is for farming tempered tracks.

Just hit HR 100. Got a Bow Charge Up gem (2, actually) and a bunch of other random stuff. Melding has been pretty fruitless for me beyond the protective polish deco I got a while back. Been mostly just doing T2 and T3 investigations and getting decent decos that way.

haven't been keeping up with this thread but is the game living up to the hype and all those glowing reviews when it first came out?...I'm looking forward to playing the PC version

haven't been keeping up with this thread but is the game living up to the hype and all those glowing reviews when it first came out?...I'm looking forward to playing the PC version

I think it did. 200 hrs or so in now. I really like the game but I have to be honest they need more monsters.

Best selling Capcom game ever. Yeah, needs more monsters and needs an ice map, but hopefully we start getting some DLC soon. I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:
Yeah, it definitely needs new monsters asap. I'm only HR 56, but I'm already getting bored with the current lineup after killing them a million times each. Granted, I'm just under 100 hrs into the game, so it's not like I didn't get my money's worth out of the base game. If they want to keep people playing (beyond the MH diehards), they're going to need to start adding content soon. I think I read their goal was one new monster per month. Hopefully, they can hit that target. The map also has some unused space at the top, so I would assume they plan on adding new zones as well.

If it tells you anything, I fully intend to buy it again on PC when that eventually gets released. I have a bunch of friends that are waiting on PC, and I want to play with them.

Finished the HR 100 quest first time with zero carts - not as hard as I expected. I did go in with Mega Demondrug and Mega Armorskin, though. Tempered Nerg was way easier than I thought (hadn't actually fought a tempered version of him until this quest), though I have fought him quite a lot so I am pretty familiar with his mannerisms.

I made the Royal Burst gunlance that is so popular and tried it out in the Triple Threat Throwdown event quest - and sucked horribly at it (though I did finish the quest). Sort of getting better but I think I need a different armor set/skills and lots of practice. Gunlance seems fun, but lance gameplay is so different from what I am used to, it's a bit hard to wrap my head around.

Got a Spread Up decoration from a random quest, so now I can do Normal Up and Spread Up both on my bow sets. Pretty awesome. Still wanting Guard Up / Capacity Boost / Mind's Eye decorations.

The balance changes all seem pretty fair. I may actually try LS out again now that they are making foresight slash easier to actually hit, and you can no longer get knocked out of skull breaker. Those two things are the biggest reasons I put that weapon aside in the first place. It was really annoying to have the monster move a step to the side and have your slashes miss, and I swear they programmed the monsters to do something to interrupt skull breaker 50% of the time. It also sounds like they are making skull breaker easier to hit as well. It was pretty hard to aim that thing. I feel like it had very little control, and if the monster moved at all, you'd just whiff anyway.

I main LS and I hardly ever use the foresight slash. Might give it a try once the changes drop but honestly, it's not needed to master the weapon.

Love the change to Helmbreaker, getting knocked out of the air by a roar or some shit mid-attack was really stupid.

As for missing with it bpizzle1 , you can change the direction of the slash in mid-air by pressing a direction and triangle (on the PS4 anyway). I found that out about 10-20 hours into the game by some random person on Reddit, because they don't really explain that in the game. Might be in the player's guide in-game, but who reads that? :whistle:

Funny that they are fixing the Bow Dragonpiercer camera exploit, but I could never really pull it off properly anyway so no big loss.

Looking forward to all the changes.

If you guys need money (and you will if you augment armor pretty often) farm the Triple Threat Throwdown using the Bandit mantle, and also sell the materials - you can net something like 30-40k per run if you are efficient. You also get a good amount of low-tier decorations for melding fodder as well. I think the quest will cycle out tomorrow so get your farming in now!

Also, here's a brief rundown of the QoL updates coming with the update (non-weapon balance):
  • Improved loading times
  • Ability to change text/subtitle size
  • Add ability to return to Gathering Hub for SP and MP
  • Attacks/explosions from allies no longer affect you while gathering (to prevent griefing)
Some great changes IMO. Honestly, though, unless they add the ability to manage more things from the Gathering Hub (botanical research, bounties, etc.) I will probably still not use it. I wonder how that will work with SOS though, where the other folks are not part of your online session?

I think I've managed to pull off the DP camera thing maybe 3 times. You have to get the timing exactly right, and I never really got it down. No big loss for me, either. I'll be sticking with bow for now for my main. I just put together some elemental bows and armor, and I now rotate them based on monster weakness. I find it does much more damage than just going with Diabolos bow and a non elemental jewel. Only element I still need finish is fire. I think I probably have all of the mats for the Anja Arch, just haven't gotten around to it.

I also agree about the Gathering Hub. I'd love to use it when I play with my brother, but not having access to everything in Astera makes it not really worth it. The load screen is too long to switch back and forth, too.

I think I've managed to pull off the DP camera thing maybe 3 times. You have to get the timing exactly right, and I never really got it down. No big loss for me, either. I'll be sticking with bow for now for my main. I just put together some elemental bows and armor, and I now rotate them based on monster weakness. I find it does much more damage than just going with Diabolos bow and a non elemental jewel. Only element I still need finish is fire. I think I probably have all of the mats for the Anja Arch, just haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah, I actually took some advice from this guide and made elemental crit bow sets as well:

Seems pretty effective. You can pretty much just use the same armor set for all of them, changing the bow and the decorations to boost elemental damage.

I guess there is an elemental damage cap, though, so it's not necessary to put more than 3 or so decorations for elemental attack boost depending on the weapon.

For fire I went with the Rath Slinger III because it doesn't have the negative affinity.

Yeah, I actually took some advice from this guide and made elemental crit bow sets as well:

Seems pretty effective. You can pretty much just use the same armor set for all of them, changing the bow and the decorations to boost elemental damage.

I guess there is an elemental damage cap, though, so it's not necessary to put more than 3 or so decorations for elemental attack boost depending on the weapon.

For fire I went with the Rath Slinger III because it doesn't have the negative affinity.

Yea, I've been running elemental crit for a few weeks now. Its the best build for bow IMHO. It does the highest DPS I have seen, and once you get the armor and decorations its just slotting in the elemental decorations for each bow. The only other build I have been using it the Cera Coilbender spam build.

Yea, I've been running elemental crit for a few weeks now. Its the best build for bow IMHO. It does the highest DPS I have seen, and once you get the armor and decorations its just slotting in the elemental decorations for each bow. The only other build I have been using it the Cera Coilbender spam build.

Yeah I have a Cera set for raw, as well as a Nerg set for Dragonseal. Then a bunch of elemental crit sets.

Back