Monster Hacked, User Info of 4.5M People Stolen

HardOCP News

[H] News
Monster.com has been hacked and the names, user ID, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of 4.5 million people have been compromised. Didn’t monster have this happen before in 2007? I could have sworn they were victim of an attack / virus / worm that affected almost 2 million people just 18 months or so ago. Nothing like being out of work, looking for a job only to have your identity stolen.

It must also be noted that as a registered user of the site, I was not e-mailed or notified by Monster.com directly about the breach, and only found it doing my normal news-gathering rounds on the web. This is not exactly best business practice for a breach of this nature; it should be noted that Monster has a poor history of waiting before notifying users of its site of security risks.

i didnt get an email from them, however upon login it was advised i change my password. they had a lil window about it.

last time this happened i was getting so much fake jobs and spam and calls from nonsense because of it.

wheres my money?

On the one hand these type of stories are very disappointing to hear about but on the other hand, I'd rather know about it then be kept in the dark. It seems like they're happening more and more often...

Glad I used Career Builder ;) ... ut oh.. i hope they doesn't get swanked..

Monster should've alerted its users, they shouldn't have to learn about it second hand.

next thing you know you're name will be used by some Nigerian buying broken iPod's off craigslist.

"I legit. I send joo monay order, joo send ipod. Look monster profile"

Monster should've alerted its users, they shouldn't have to learn about it second hand.

They dont care, and no one will do anythnig about it, so why should they?
Losing data is not a crime, although sometimes it ought to be.

Another day, another security breach. Seriously though, there are no consequences for these companies that lose personal data. They always get off with a "my bad" letter. I'd bet they would be a lot more careful if they were fined $500 per user leaked.

I replied back: specially trained to let our accounts get hacked? why would i waste my time calling you guys?

Content Title
Account (create/edit/cancel)

Discussion Thread
Response (Tiffany Green) 01/28/2009 01:22 PM
Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for contact Monster Customer Service.

I understand from your email that concerned about the security message that appears on our site.

We have specially trained assistance for this issue available via phone. Our phone number is 1-800-MONSTER, after you hear the security message, choose option 1.

Thank you,

Tiffany

Back