Monster Cable Kit 5.1for Klipsch 5.1 Ultra.... Worth it?

Korgun

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=893

I was wondering if it was worth 70 bucks for cables. I keep reading that cable's make a world of difference... I remember reading a guide about making your own and it seemed to me like it was too much work for just cables...

So waht is your opinion on these as opposed to the cables that come with it?

Considering they come with crappy cable... but at 70 you could buy, cut and plug your own cables that would be better. If your not lazy I recommend doing so (will also be cheaper). Cant exactly see what they use on those cables but they look like normal banana plugs.

oh any it isnt very hard unless you go extreme with heat wrapping / silver sodering connections.

the answer to this question would be:

"no"...

cables do not make a "world of difference"... as long as they aren't complete junk, anyway... wire is wire...

save your 70 bucks and use the cables that came with the speakers... it's not like you are dealing with audiophile quality speakers anyway...

The question would be:

"have you ever used these speaker wires with these speakers?" ...

Does the wire make a difference, yes. Will it make a difference here, maybe.

Weakest link in the chain theorm. Get some decent 14 gauge wire. These speakers don't push enough wattage to need anything more and the are using a class d amp, so would benefit very little from highly sheilded wire as they already have a high noise floor do to the amp.

I have 3 different stereos and have owned a ton of different equipment. I have speaker wire that is $20/ft and wire that is $1 /foot and there is almost no difference. Put the money in the speakers and the electronics, worry about wires and power conditioners later.

Mister X said:
The question would be:

"have you ever used these speaker wires with these speakers?" ...

the klipsch wires with the klipsch 5.1 setup? not on my setup (i'm not a believer in 5.1 unless it can be done "right", i have the klipsch 2.1 on my pc), but yes, i have heard the 5.1 promedias with the out of the box wires on someone elses... and, imo, the wires aren't hurting the performance of the speakers...

if someone wants to show me an abx test showing a positive improvement with the monster cables over the stock wires, i'll willingly say "i'm wrong"... :) i'm not that hardheaded... but my limited 'sperience says that in this case, the "wire is wire" theory will hold...

I found the wires on my 2.1 lacking (it was just me I am sure) but I did not spend 50 or so bucks for a pre-made monster set. What I did was to make my own. bigger gage wire nice silver solder (lead free) heat shrink ends.

my cost was about 10 to 12 bucks

Zardoz said:
I found the wires on my 2.1 lacking (it was just me I am sure) but I did not spend 50 or so bucks for a pre-made monster set. What I did was to make my own. bigger gage wire nice silver solder (lead free) heat shrink ends.

my cost was about 10 to 12 bucks

nah, it's entirely possible that they are lacking... for me, given the short run and the fact that mine basically get used to make "windows sounds", i never even considered swapping out the wires...

i'm a firm believer in "wire is wire", but then again, i'm also a firm believer in "if it sounds better to YOU, it IS better, regardless of what i think" (there IS such a thing as a placebo effect in medicine, why shouldn't it hold true for our hearing?)... imo, and imo only (i should have qualified my first post better), 70 bucks for "cables" for 300 dollar speakers isn't a cost-effective solution... that's just me though... someone loaned me a pair of godawful expensive (and i mean GODAWFUL EXPENSIVE) speaker cables to try and "prove" to me that expensive speaker cables made a difference... i have a relatively revealing setup... the cables didn't make a dadgum bit of difference... to him, he could hear "increased clarity, better imaging, more air, yada yada yada"... to me, i woulda spent the 1000 bucks on room treatments and really created a better soundstage... a 1000 bucks worth of room treatments could make an average room into carnegie hall (well, not carnegie hall, but you get my point)...

some people will tell you that you can tell the difference between a 50 dollar cable and a 1000 dollar cable... i can't... but then again, i probably can't tell the difference between the power cords that came with my amps and the 500 dollar power cord either, so maybe i have tin ears... :)

anyway, i should have clarified my first post better, and i apologize for that...

ccotenj said:
but then again, i probably can't tell the difference between the power cords that came with my amps and the 500 dollar power cord either, so maybe i have tin ears... :)
I have to laugh at people who buy those things. Look, all the power you're getting came over the same crappy power lines I use with my $3 cord, so is your theory that the last 6 feet is more important than the 20 miles of cable and 11 transformers it's been through before that?

The point of an upgraded power cord is to reduce emi and other interference as they are heavily shielded. I have a HTPS 7000SS and a AVS2000 voltage stabilizer on my HT and I use upgraded power cords for just that reason. What's the point in having a power conditioner if you can't deliver that clean balanced power to your gear?

Back