Monster Beats by Dre.

Vision

Limp Gawd
I work at Best Buy and while being negligent I stopped and listened to the Dre Monster Beats headphones, and must say I was really impressed. I was wondering if anyone had these and could say how well they hold up, and how long the batteries last. With my discount I can get them for $166, and am contemplating picking up a pair. Although I would also use them for gaming, and was wondering how they handle ambiance?

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-beats-by-dr/4505-7877_7-33192353.html

You would have to pay me to own anything from Monster. I give a rats a** how good they sound.

for $160 I'd honestly tell you to look at some other high-end headphones like Beyerdynamic DT770's (I have a pair I recabled which sound amazing) I actually got them for free because the cable was damaged, so I replaced the entire piece with thicker cable and a new plug and they sound amazing.

Not saying those won't sound decent, they better for how much they cost, but I think you can get equal/better for the same or less $...

Also depends on your preference of closed/open headphones... DT770's are closed which I prefer because they help isolate the music/sounds and keep out noises around you.

I work at Best Buy and while being negligent I stopped and listened to the Dre Monster Beats headphones, and must say I was really impressed. I was wondering if anyone had these and could say how well they hold up, and how long the batteries last. With my discount I can get them for $166, and am contemplating picking up a pair. Although I would also use them for gaming, and was wondering how they handle ambiance?

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-beats-by-dr/4505-7877_7-33192353.html

I'm at BBY too. Do we really get them for that cheap? That's aburd. We don't even get that big of a discount on Monster cables wtf.

Like other people have been saying, see if you can find a better pair of headphones for a similar/cheaper price (not that hard to find really).

I hear good things about the Audio-Technica ATH-A700/ATH-AD700 and Beyerdynamic DT-770s.

Also, keep in mind that the Beats use batteries for the noise canceling stuff, so that might limit your use of them every now and then (i.e. when the batteries die).

No, pass on them. Two rules to apply to audio buying:

1) Never buy anything branded by a celebrity. Why? Because celebrities don't know shit about electrical engineering, and they want money. Thus a celebrity doesn't add value to the product, they don't make it better, they just charge money to have their name used in conjunction with it. That means more of your money if going to fluff, less to improving sound quality.

2) Never buy anything from Monster. The reason is related to the first: They charge for their name. It isn't as though their stuff is poor quality these days, it is just not at all worth the cost. You can get something as good or better than what they've got for less money. Their cables would be a prime example. Monoprice sells cables basically as good for 10% or less what Monster does.

In the price range you are talking about, look at ATH-AD700s. I'm a huge Audio Technica ATH series fan because they are extremely comfortable. They also sound quite good for the dollars, and you can get them open and closed.

If you are really sold on the Monster phones, then go ahead. Like I said, their gear isn't crap these days, they won't break on you in a week or anything, you are just wasting money. You can get higher quality stuff from someone else.

As others have commented that this isn't a good set of phones relative to cost.

Because of that, I'd consider Dr. Dre's other endorsed product and buy a Dr. Pepper instead.

IMO I tought the Dre. Headphones sounded amazing, far better than my current Sennheiser HD 555's, which is why I thought about spending $ on a new pair. You have heard them, right? Like at the kiosk in BestBuy?
I personally wouldn't care who made them if they sounded awesome...unless it was MS ;)
It just peeves me when ppl recommend other headphones without ever having heard the two under discussion.

Wait those are noise cancelling? I wouldn't even consider them then. Noise Cancelling is stupid as hell. Isolation is what you want, which is what IEM's and Closed headphones will give you.

IMO I tought the Dre. Headphones sounded amazing, far better than my current Sennheiser HD 555's, which is why I thought about spending $ on a new pair. You have heard them, right? Like at the kiosk in BestBuy?
I personally wouldn't care who made them if they sounded awesome...unless it was MS ;)
It just peeves me when ppl recommend other headphones without ever having heard the two under discussion.

I don't know if this is directed towards me, but yes, I have heard them because I have used them numerous times borrowed from a coworker for use while at work. I like the Beyerdynamic DT-770s already mentioned more.

I would go for the Sennhesier HD600 or HD650 instead. They will cost more (HD600 can be had for around $200) but if you are thinking of spending $150+ on headphones it's best to get a set that will last you a long time and not make you feel like upgrading again. While I have not heard the Beats, I'm fairly certain they aren't better than either the HD600 or HD650. I'm not sure how long the Beats will last, what with the built-in amplifier and all.

Then again headphones are a very subjective area. Some people prefer boomy, bassy $20 headphones to $100 sets. I personally own the HD650 and owned the HD555 before that (which disappointed me to lack of bass impact). But I'm very content with the 650s, everything is reproduced amazingly through them. Provided that the source material was mastered well, these phones can give you the experience of listening to songs live. For what it's worth, everyone I know that has listened to them was blown away.

I went to best buy once and they had the dr.dre kiosk. The kiosk has an extra input jack so you could plug in your own headphones so you could A/B test it against the dre's. If I've ever learned anything from a monster kiosk it's to never trust it, period. Probably has the jack connected with some oxidized 26awg wire and powered by an amp you find in a dollar store radio. I wasn't actually able to test the dre's because the headband was snapped in half and the right driver was dangling by one wire, if I'd of put them on all I would've gotten in return would be an ear infection.

I believe people are being too harsh on the Beats By Dre. Sure, they're a total rip off at $299, but if you can them for around $160, I'd be so bold as to call them a downright bargain for active noise cancelling headphones like those.

I believe people are being too harsh on the Beats By Dre. Sure, they're a total rip off at $299, but if you can them for around $160, I'd be so bold as to call them a downright bargain for active noise cancelling headphones like those.

I wouldn't.

Active NC is good in a small set of very specific situations. If you aren't coming in to the purchase trying to address one of those very specific situations, active NC is a very bad idea.

Back