Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Studio only $170 ebay

triarii3

Gawd
Hey guys. I have been looking at the Dr.Dre series headphones. The MSRP on newegg and almost any other retailer for about $299 dollars. but I found about 10 sellers on ebay selling them for only around $170. sounds like a good deal but all of the sellers had only about 100-200 feedbacks...good feed backs...but still nothing like the other power sellers.

this is the only american seller i can find. still $100+ off msrp from a the price listed on a store like new egg sounds to good to be true.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3984382&category=112529&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I want a pair of these head phones but these look pretty damn fishy to me...plus most of them are shipped from mainland china, which rings another bell -___- they do have some positive feed backs....but i am so scared in buying counterfeit items.

what do you guys think?

add: I know about other headphones like AKG, but this one is mostly for style. I am getting beats because of it's style and brand name. so lets keep this to beats only.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
china = fake. I've been down that road before except I bought a pair of the in-ear buds off of craigslist for $40. Same rule of thumb - if its looks to good to be true then it probably is.

I'm guessing the positive feedbacks are from people who don't know how to spot the difference between authentic and face 'phones.

more than likely these are fake. i did a little research a while back and a surefire way to tell is to look at the back of the box. If it's real, then Dr. Dre will look normal. If it's fake, Dr. Dre will look like possessed (with black eyes). Attribute this to a really bad photocopy job.

And just because they're a US-based seller doesn't mean anything because they're in Cali. I think a lot of Chinese will funnel things through Cali.

Technically, you could just buy them and demand a refund as per his policy.

RETURN POLICY: If the item is not as described on this page you can return it for a full refund we will also refund the shipping costs just let us know with in 14 days of receiving the item

They generally will honor it because I have purchased counterfeits and they fully refunded me and let me keep the fake item.

Again, buyer beware... if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

if you knew anything about headphones..... you would know not to get anything by monster or skullcandy or anything like that

Dont do it! As posted above, check out head-fi. You will save money and get a better quality headphones.

It is for looks just like all the people I see on the train who have probably never heard good sound before.

They do look nice and shiny I give them that. on top of that the cord is nice. So 2 out of 3 (missing top notch sound) I guess isn't bad lol

Even if they are real, Monster will not honor the warranty if you bought it from eBay. It must be from a certified Monster Reseller. Knowing the quality of Monster headphones, I'm sure you will need the warranty at least once in it's lifetime.

I have the Monster Turbines which I RMA'ed at least 4 times for quality issues. On the bright side, it's a fabulous IEM when it works.

It is for looks just like all the people I see on the train who have probably never heard good sound before.

They do look nice and shiny I give them that. on top of that the cord is nice. So 2 out of 3 (missing top notch sound) I guess isn't bad lol

this. what's funny is when I see beats I think "moron." but when I see dt770s I think, "there's somebody who knows whats up."

So i've been looking to replace my 5 year old pair Senn HD280s (i loved these things) with multiple location broke headband (thank god for super glue) and was looking to spend under $200.
I have a set of shure e2cs and e3cs from back in the day and i really didn't like the in ear thing and mainly use them when i go for a motorcycle ride and would like to get a good pair of cans.

The studios seemed like a rip off at 299 but at $170 are there really headphones other that blow it out of the water? The noise cancelling and built in amp would be nice on the subway and i listen to alot of hip hop so any suggestions before i make a mistake on one of these units? I did listen to them without an external amp from a friend and they seemed decent enough like a bose unit. Any audiophiles want to educate me and not get blasted like the snobs from head fi?

by the way the are 150 refurbed at the monster outlet here if anyone is looking for a legit source:
http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

Last edited:
Save your money, and get a pair of real headphones instead.

so get the $80 555s and hack them to be 595s?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...ng/dp/B0001FTVDQ/?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals

any other ~200 range headphone suggestions?

I loved my 280 Senny's but the band broke so many times i'm not looking forward to superglue fixes. Also the convenience of having a built in amp and noise cancelling always intrigued me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did listen to them without an external amp from a friend and they seemed decent enough like a bose unit. Any audiophiles want to educate me and not get blasted like the snobs from head fi?

I used to be a frequent head-fier :p but I guess some people there are snobby. I usually go into a litany of infoz, without talking down on people, I'd like to think :p

The problem with the Beats is not that they're bad, but tend to be pricey for what they are. It sounds like you want something sturdy and also isolation is a factor. These tend to be identified often:

1. Sennheiser HD25-1: Admittedly one of the best portable/isolating headphones that are built like tanks. And small enough that you wouldn't look like an 80's fighter pilot wearing huge head-gear. Make sure you don't get the cheaper variant, I believe it's S, that isn't build as tough. [Edit: The one not to get is the 'SP' variant. It doesn't have as sturdy of a headband]
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299374924&sr=1-1

2. Audio-Technica ANC7B: It's been compared favorably to the Bose noise cancelling headphones but at a much lower cost, with decent audio quality. You should check this if you absolutely must have active noise cancellation.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299375413&sr=1-2

My recommendation if you can, is with the 25-1 for portable/on-the-go. You'll likely get better audio quality (compared to ANC).

Last edited:
Someone going after the Beats headphones is likly someone who is into a lot of Bass. If not they are looking in the wrong area. Not a fan of the Beats, but I dont think the HD 555 is tuned for the same style of music.

The DT 770-PRO or M50 would be more fitting.

For the price range your are looking in, and the type of sound I expect that you enjoy, I would investigate Ultrasone headphones. I think they look pretty decent, especially compared to something like the Beyers.

Try looking into the HFI-580, HFI-780, and PRO-550 (I don't know much about the pro-550, but it's probably somewhat similar to the other two)

Back