Monster Banana Plugs won't fit

Oohah

Weaksauce
Hello,

I'm a complete audio/ht noob so please bare with me :eek:

I tried to hook up some speakers (POLK AUDIO RTi5) to my receiver (DENON AVR-591) using 16gauge wires and MONSTER banana plugs,,, but guess what? the banana plugs won't fit into my receiver! They are just too big. Do banana plugs come in different sizes? If so, what size would work with my receiver?

Or would I just be better off using regular speaker wiring? I was told that there is no difference between banana plugs and regular speaker wiring as far as sound quality.

Thanks for replying!

Yea there can be different size banana plugs.

The only real advantage to banana plugs in convenient. Makes plugging in and swapping speaker wires, etc much much easier since you don't have to twist caps, etc.

And you can definitely find cheaper stuff than Monster...it's all hype and very rarely delivers anything special.

They should fit, just know they they are going to be a very snug fit. So the first time you plug them into something it might take a little more force. Although use some caution, if you have to brace yourself to try to plug it in, it's probably not going in. When I got my new Monster component cables I remember having to use a big more push than normal to get them in but they weren't going to accidentally fall out. Another option, if your speakers have banana terminals on the back, plug them in and take them out of those a couple times to work the banana plug tips in a little bit. Speaker terminals are a little more sturdy than receiver terminals.

And yes, Monster is a lot of hype at least to the eye. On specialized meters and instruments they might show the difference, but the eyes can't see it. At least in my opinion and I used to use nothing but monster, now I use nothing but monoprice. Usually like 1/10th the price and 100 percent of the visual and audio quality that I can notice. Audio/videophiles might say differently.

See the difference in size? That thing is not going in...

img0060xuy.jpg

img0062wf.jpg

bth7kb2kkgrhqmhcuevh46f.jpg

monster stuff you have push a little harder.
I have some RCA cables from monster and i had to push them in with a considerable amount of force.

Yea, those will fit. Those tips should flex if you squeeze them, that's why they have gaps. First few times you plug them in, they are tight. After a while they loosen up a bit. Then they get so loose they won't stay in...........

Yea, those will fit. Those tips should flex if you squeeze them, that's why they have gaps. First few times you plug them in, they are tight. After a while they loosen up a bit. Then they get so loose they won't stay in...........

lawl

i totally agree,

i was laughing the entire time reading the posts....

and yes it will fit you just have to give it a little force ;)

i am still laughing...

Thanks for replying guys, but these things JUST WONT FIT. I don't want to break the terminal plastic thingy trying to push these in!

Not really,,,I got a good deal on eBay! And I didnt have to pay for shipping since the pickup location was just a couple blocks from my place

Anybody want to buy these? I've got 8 of them.

they look like they will fit in the pic....

do they get smaller at all when you try and push them in?

interesting

Get a pair of pliers and squeeze the tips a bit. Those tips will fit but they are probably just too firm to squeeze into the receiver without what you might consider excessive force. Just make sure you work around in a circle with the pliers so you don't end up with a flat side, because then it will likely be too big to fit.

You guys were right all along.

I just needed to push them hard into the receiver holes. :eek: No lubes needed :eek:

Everything's perfect now!

Thanks for the help, guys. :cool:

Back