Monoprice Not Keeping Word on Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U
So I purchased a MP brand monitor from them in February (model linked below) and it's starting to go bad. I contact them for a replacement, and they say they cannot because they are out of stock. They do not have an ETA for when they will get more. I ask if they can either refund me cash (not store credit) or extend my warranty until they do get replacements, because they do not have any comparable monitors for anywhere near the same price in stock. They declined, saying can just give me store credit. This seems like I was sold something under false advertising, as the warranty is obviously part of what I was buying. Any recommendations for what I could do?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16384

My recommendation:

Take the store credit and buy a new monitor. Your warranty (according to the page) is 1 year replacement. If you were within the 30 days, within their money back guarantee, I'd say a refund would be reasonable. Since you're not, best bet is the store credit for a new monitor. All their warranty implies is that you'd get a replacement within a year. This is their way of replacing it for you without having you wait until they get restocked. I don't consider this false advertising. I don't see anything in their language that implies that you would get your money back after 30 days.

Well, technically, the Monoprice warranty states that

Out of Stock or Discontinued Items: If you return a product for replacement and it is Out of Stock or Discontinued when the item is received, you may be contacted by the Monoprice.com Returns team and offered a suitable replacement or option for a store credit.

So if there is no suitable replacement, it looks like the only option is store credit. I imagine that you may be able to call someone at their number listed here: https://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=contact to see if they could do you a solid and maybe find you something slightly better and around the same price as a replacement. You may have to try a few times and be friendly and firm to find the right rep to get you what you want.

Otherwise, if all else fails, not sure what kind of legal recourse you'd have. The law you're looking at is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and while it has provisions for refunds in the situation where the items is not repairable, I don't know if that can be given as store credit or if there are any conditions for a cash refund. Might want to do some research there if you're completely screwed.

Best bet, talk to Monoprice, be sweet, see what they can do.

Hey it could be worse. I bought a game console at a small chain video game store. I paid for it. Then without stepping away from the counter said hey, can we just hook it up to this television sitting right here just to make sure it works. It didn't work. They said they don't do refunds, only store credit. The story eventually had a <somewhat> happy ending, but live and learn.

Update:
I think I must have been with just a crappy CS agent when I dealt with monorpice. Filed a claim with BBB about it, went straight to some manager who took care of the issue for my with a replacement. CS agent I talked to said she had talked to a manager, but I have no proof of that so very well could have just blown me off, who knows.

Update:
I think I must have been with just a crappy CS agent when I dealt with monorpice. Filed a claim with BBB about it, went straight to some manager who took care of the issue for my with a replacement. CS agent I talked to said she had talked to a manager, but I have no proof of that so very well could have just blown me off, who knows.

BBB do wonders but I wonder if you could get flagged ? I used it for PSN issue... and it worked like a charm... CSR level 1 I guess simply hung up on me.
Sad that we need to resort to such matter to get things fixed. I wish we could pass a test to get higher CSR level access with a code lol... Their script is garbage...

BBB do wonders but I wonder if you could get flagged ? I used it for PSN issue... and it worked like a charm... CSR level 1 I guess simply hung up on me.
Sad that we need to resort to such matter to get things fixed. I wish we could pass a test to get higher CSR level access with a code lol... Their script is garbage...
Only time I ever used BBB, expected nothing. Pleasantly surprised here. As one guy above mentioned as a possibility, they actually upgraded my replacement to a slightly higher end model which they had in stock.

The internet has really given BBB a lot more influence to be honest. Years ago (roughly 16 years) my parents had given a $2000 earnest money deposit on a home. The scam was that the guy was claiming he could get anyone in a home as long as they gave him enough time. They have bad credit and wanted this house so they gave him the cash and got a receipt. It was only the portion he claimed he needed up front. 6 months later the guy hadn't gotten them into the home so they decided to drive over and look at it again. Passing through they discovered that the home now had occupants! Contacted the guy and he said he would return their money soon. Months passed and no return of the funds. My parents asked me to look into it so I did a little research and found some BBB complaints about this company! concerning returns of earnest money! I made a BBB complaint and they sent my parents a copy of everything that they mailed to the guy. A week or so passed and they received a phone call from him... He went on to curse my Father out and by the end of the conversation he said that he wasn't going to give shit back to them because they went to the BBB! And he hung up. Parents told the BBB and they contacted that guy a few more times but my parents never got that $2000 back. Hired a little country bumpkin attorney that only took more money from them and never got any results! After giving the attorney some cash and seeing no results they decided they weren't going to lose anymore money trying to get their $2000 back and dropped it. Maybe 6 years later on a whim I researched his company again and found out that a few years after my parents gave up the local news had done a story on the company and the scum bag owner! They had 30 people and the news was able to get him to return their money but my parents had already given up years earlier so they didn't know! BBB had very little influence back then... in-fact it would just serve to further infuriate the crooked assholes out there lol

So I purchased a MP brand monitor from them in February (model linked below) and it's starting to go bad. I contact them for a replacement, and they say they cannot because they are out of stock. They do not have an ETA for when they will get more. I ask if they can either refund me cash (not store credit) or extend my warranty until they do get replacements, because they do not have any comparable monitors for anywhere near the same price in stock. They declined, saying can just give me store credit. This seems like I was sold something under false advertising, as the warranty is obviously part of what I was buying. Any recommendations for what I could do?

Find their mailing address, server em in small claims.

Only time I ever used BBB, expected nothing. Pleasantly surprised here. As one guy above mentioned as a possibility, they actually upgraded my replacement to a slightly higher end model which they had in stock.

BBB is a waste of time, check your local small claims court... it's amazing what you can get done in there. Here it's like 75 to file a case, and another 25 to serve them... of course you put that hundie in your settlement.

Most people settle out of court 2 hours after they are served.

Honestly, I'd just check if your credit card offers an extended warranty and use that. Far less hassle since they just send you a check.

I've used it a bunch of times to great effect. You could probably get that on top of store credit.......... but that would be dishonest.......

Find their mailing address, server em in small claims.

BBB is a waste of time, check your local small claims court... it's amazing what you can get done in there. Here it's like 75 to file a case, and another 25 to serve them... of course you put that hundie in your settlement.

Most people settle out of court 2 hours after they are served.

Honestly, I'd just check if your credit card offers an extended warranty and use that. Far less hassle since they just send you a check.

I've used it a bunch of times to great effect. You could probably get that on top of store credit.......... but that would be dishonest.......

He literally just posted an update indicating the BBB option worked for him. o_O

Take the store credit, that is more than fair. They are making it right, you are being picky.

Honestly, you're being a whiny bitch.

If they're not breaking their warranty terms (they did not) then you can't say they did any false advertising. No chain makes a habit of "Cash Refunds" 8 months later, sorry, brah.

If you didn't directly ask to talk to a manager, than that's on you. Glad you got things worked out, but you're getting mad about them following the policy that you paid for. You're literally being an entitled little bitch.

Take the store credit, that is more than fair. They are making it right, you are being picky.

Fuck it, you're right. Let's all just pretend OP didn't just get an exchange. Reality is over rated.

Honestly, you're being a whiny bitch.

If they're not breaking their warranty terms (they did not) then you can't say they did any false advertising. No chain makes a habit of "Cash Refunds" 8 months later, sorry, brah.

If you didn't directly ask to talk to a manager, than that's on you. Glad you got things worked out, but you're getting mad about them following the policy that you paid for. You're literally being an entitled little bitch.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Wow. Leave that shit for reddit and 4can, jesus. Yeah you are acting like a little bitch, what is so hard to understand about reading the terms of warranty and replacement. Oh it's too difficult? Just gotta throw a temper tantrum to screw someone else because you want to renege on it 8 months later. Have you never shopped anywhere ever? 30 days for cash back is standard stuff and anything longer is store credit. Talking about false advertising, what a crock of shit.

So whats the monitor for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back